Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-15, 14:49

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 210/199.5/120 Female 60
BF:Too Much
Progress: 12%
Default Officially succeeded at Induction

So yesterday was two weeks since I began Atkins DANDR Induction. I'm down 5.5lbs and several inches. I can honestly say I feel much more energetic. I'm really enjoying not swelling up and bloating after each meal. I can absolutely feel the difference in how I feel without my blood sugar spiking and crashing all day. I'm having very few fleeting cravings, and they're nothing that I can't easily handle.

I do believe I'll continue the induction phase for a while more. I have about 80lbs I'd like to lose. Honestly, the idea of adding any fruits worries me that I may start having sugar cravings again.

I admit I was a bit disappointed that I only lost 5.5lbs during the first two weeks, but I wonder if it's because I've been a big water drinker for several years. Since the initial weight is supposed to be water weight, could that be the reason for only 5.5lbs lost so far?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-15, 15:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Those are great results, and your adaptation to LC seems to be going very smoothly. I did the induction phase for quite a while, as you, I know that adding fruit is not a good thing for me. Due to the fact that this WOE approach is not one size fits all, it's important to really understand your metabolism's reaction to what you eat. For me, that was the most important thing to learn as I've been able to make course corrections to adjust. I now know what I need to do to maintain, and I know what I need to do to lose more. You're already experiencing the health benefits, which is really the most important aspect and the fuel you need to keep you going. After a while, you realize that weight loss is just one of the many positive byproducts of Atkins/LC.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-15, 16:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well, MellyAnn, some of us are wondering, what's this "only" 5.5 lbs complaint?? That's a great start. Clearly you're feeling good, and experiencing some excellent benefits already. In fact, impatience and unrealistic expectations are two reasons why many people quit way too soon. Keep in mind that you have literally the rest of your life to be a good loser.

There's no reason you can't continue with induction. In any case, you won't be adding fruit for quite a while, as all fruits are (as you suggest) high in sugar as compared with vegetables. Stick with very low carb (20g) as long as you continue to have good energy, absence of hunger, and no cravings. For variety, experiment with some recipes using the basic foods.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-15, 16:56

Thank you both. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with my loss! I have Hashimoto's and PCOS, so seeing the scale move downward at all was cause for celebration . I suppose "only" was not a good word to choose. I've seen others' posts about a much more dramatic weight loss, so while I'm happy with it, I wondered if it was low in comparison. I need to remind myself to stay in my own lane lol .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-15, 02:18
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

Im the same as you exactly 5.5lbs and wont go near fruit either. The one really big deal I have noticed is that my heart palpitations and or elevated heart rate has completely dissipated. I used to be a huge sugar consumer and I attribute my racing heart to the sugar without a doubt
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-15, 04:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
. I need to remind myself to stay in my own lane lol .

Love that comment, Melly Ann! You are dealing with your own health issues, have your own weight and dieting experience, you have to find your own lane.

That said, many people stay on 20g carbs, no fruit or nuts...well forever. There is a ’72 Atkins buddy group here who do, and most following the Westman clinic version of that do also. With your goal, staying where you are until you get bored or have some other issue with an induction like plan is perfectly fine health wise.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-15, 16:46

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Congrats on your progress!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-15, 09:21

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

You are doing well! Keep up the good work!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-15, 09:35

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Chiming in to congratulate you too. Once I got started, like you, I was really scared of waking up the cravings monster (after a lifetime of being its slave). That fear has kept me on the straight and narrow pretty much for years. Good luck and keep posting your progress!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi MellyAnn, welcome to the forum. Well done for taking the first step - that's the hardest part: it gets easier and better the longer you move on from there.

Take another look at DANDR, because fruit isn't added until a lot further on. When you move on from induction, you add 5g carb per week from the induction vegetable choices. Nothing to stop you staying on 20g, mind you.. just pointing out that when you do want to branch out a bit, fruit is not the way to go. You're best to stick to Dr Atkins' way of adding different food groups one at a time.

If you're serious about losing weight and want quick progress, I'd suggest that you forget about fruit for now. I think it's probably one of the worst things you could eat.. It's designed to fatten creatures up before the winter. Except we have it all year round.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran
Im the same as you exactly 5.5lbs and wont go near fruit either. The one really big deal I have noticed is that my heart palpitations and or elevated heart rate has completely dissipated. I used to be a huge sugar consumer and I attribute my racing heart to the sugar without a doubt

One of the main reasons I decided to ditch sugar was that I was noticing palpitations after a particularly sweet treat. Good luck to you.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Hi MellyAnn, welcome to the forum. Well done for taking the first step - that's the hardest part: it gets easier and better the longer you move on from there.

Take another look at DANDR, because fruit isn't added until a lot further on. When you move on from induction, you add 5g carb per week from the induction vegetable choices. Nothing to stop you staying on 20g, mind you.. just pointing out that when you do want to branch out a bit, fruit is not the way to go. You're best to stick to Dr Atkins' way of adding different food groups one at a time.

If you're serious about losing weight and want quick progress, I'd suggest that you forget about fruit for now. I think it's probably one of the worst things you could eat.. It's designed to fatten creatures up before the winter. Except we have it all year round.

You're right. I'm definitely not adding fruit for quite a while. In DANDR, when Dr. Atkins explains OWL, he mentions adding in 5gm fruits and berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and cantaloupe or honeydew several rings up as we move up the ladder. I'm not where I'm even thinking of starting OWL, just saying the idea of fruit in the future scares me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 04:40

[QUOTE=JEY100]Love that comment, Melly Ann! You are dealing with your own health issues, have your own weight and dieting experience, you have to find your own lane.

I have a coworker who says that when she's getting in other people's business. We've all pretty much adopted the phrase as our own lol.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 04:53

[QUOTE=JEY100]Love that comment, Melly Ann! You are dealing with your own health issues, have your own weight and dieting experience, you have to find your own lane.

I have a coworker who says that when she's getting in other people's business. We've all pretty much adopted the phrase as our own lol.