Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 11:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/238.5/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question A few questions about Vitamins...

Okay...I was planning on taking CTD LABS NOXITROPIN PM since it was working for my husband for sleep. It is supposed to help fat metabolism. I also take Whole Food Multi Elite by CTD labs and was wondering what your thought are about constipation...I tried some homeopathic "Smooth Move" tea and let me tell you...ouch. I won't be leaving my house today. I have heard about Magnesium for that? Any suggestions?

I was also wondering if I can have smoked salmon, sushi and sashimi? Of course, it would be sushi without rice, but was not sure about the seaweed wrapped ones.

Also, I posed a question earlier in another post and I am going to ask it here as well: Okay, I am having issues finding the meat and eggs thread...also, what are your thoughts on using pork rinds and cream cheese as a snack if I am not hungry enough to really eat? Also, do you think it is feasible to lose 100 pounds in a year?

Thank you all in advance for helping me get back on track and away from the Vegan diet. My hair is still falling out, still anemic and gums are still bleeding, but it has only been a few days. I will say I feel a lot better so far, though. I know it may take a month or so to get better.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 12:06

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Take magnesium at bedtime (when you take your calcium supplement) and keep raising the magnesium dosage until you get to 'blowout stage' then back it down to the next lower dose and that's your dose.

I don't know anything about CTD LABS NOXITROPIN PM, but don't think you need it if you are doing Atkins.

You should be taking a good multivitamin, calcium and magnesium.

The raw or smoked fish sounds fine. A little seaweed can count as your salad greens, just don't do any rice at all. I'd be careful about any dipping sauces as they might contain carbs or MSG.

If you aren't hungry enough to really eat, then why are you eating? LOL!

I like deviled eggs as a snack. You have to find mayo that doesn't have sugar. Duke's brand doesn't. I found some pickle relish that uses Splenda, so I'm all set. Deviled eggs are very filling.

Cream cheese can stall people. It does have way more carbs than meat.

As far as pork rinds -- some people can do them and other people find that they make them retain water or stall. I don't do them because I am sure they aren't frying them in a healthy oil and all the salt/stuff they put on them disgusts me.

I'm more of an almond gal, but almonds aren't on induction.

Last edited by Beez in BR : Sat, Dec-17-11 at 12:14.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 12:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez in BR

I don't know anything about CTD LABS NOXITROPIN PM, but don't think you need it if you are doing Atkins.

If you aren't hungry enough to really eat, then why are you eating? LOL!

I have insomnia and it was always worse when I did Atkins and If I do not force myself to eat, I can go days without eating. I have to eat on Atkins... As for the Magnesium, is there a specific brand that is good and what do you mean, "Blow out stage"?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 13:45

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungusgirl
I have insomnia and it was always worse when I did Atkins and If I do not force myself to eat, I can go days without eating. I have to eat on Atkins... As for the Magnesium, is there a specific brand that is good and what do you mean, "Blow out stage"?

If you have insommia then Natural Calm might be what you want to use. It says it's a 'relaxing maxnesium supplement' and people say it helps them sleep. You mix it into water. It's made of magnesium citrate, which is supposed to be highly absorbable. I haven't noticed a difference. I have a bottle, but don't use it because I don't like the fizzy lemon taste.

I use Magnesium Oxide and it 'does the trick.'

Blow out stage is . . . 'prepping for a colonoscopy' stage, the 'Whoa, Nelly, I gotta' stay home all day' deal.

Start at 250mg at bedtime. If you don't 'go' the next morning, take two pills that night and see what happens the next morning. Everybody has their own level that they need to take to keep the trains running on time.

As far as forcing yourself to eat, eat something on-plan that's 'clean', no frankenfoods. (I consider flavored pork rinds a frankenfood, maybe some people don't.) If you aren't eating regularly, all the more reason to eat something that's nutritious. Have a salad topped with some diced chicken or sliced beef. Prepare some tuna salad so you have it ready.

Having ready 'snack' food that's really 'a meal' food is key.

I do tuna salad and deviled eggs as my 'ready to eat' stuff. I can also scramble or fry a few eggs and be totally satisfied with that. Cook large meals so you have leftovers handy. There's nothing wrong with yesterday's leftovers as breakfast.

Once you get further up the ladder you can experiment with MIMs. I make mine with ground almonds, an egg, butter, cinnamon, pumpkin and cream cheese (not induction-friendly because of the almonds and pumpkin) and I have one almost every day for a meal.

Last edited by Beez in BR : Sat, Dec-17-11 at 13:53.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 10:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Sea weed is a superfood. Yes, indeed eat it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 11:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Sea weed is a superfood. Yes, indeed eat it.

Thanks a bunch! I was making sure!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 14:55

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Thanks a bunch! I was making sure!

So, fungusgirl.... what's in the name? Are you a fungus fan? If so, what are your faves?

I'm asking because I am an amateur wild mushroom forager, and I love everything about it. I am very excited right now because we are getting into hedge hog season around here and that, to me, is among the most delicious of mushrooms.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 15:01

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 241.0/212.1/160 Female 5'6"
BF:too much
Progress: 36%

A couple friends of mine have lost 100 lbs in a year. One in particular lost 115lbs and simply worked out 3 times a week and cut out most carbs. You can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 21:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysoda
So, fungusgirl.... what's in the name? Are you a fungus fan? If so, what are your faves?

I'm asking because I am an amateur wild mushroom forager, and I love everything about it. I am very excited right now because we are getting into hedge hog season around here and that, to me, is among the most delicious of mushrooms.

I am definitely a fungus fan. Have been since I was a child and went to school for it for a little while. I love Morels, Chanterelles, King Boletes and Chicken of the Woods, among others! I also love oysters! You are lucky! Fresh Hedge Hogs! Yum!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 21:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinybean
A couple friends of mine have lost 100 lbs in a year. One in particular lost 115lbs and simply worked out 3 times a week and cut out most carbs. You can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement! (((hugs)))
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 21:42

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I am definitely a fungus fan. Have been since I was a child and went to school for it for a little while. I love Morels, Chanterelles, King Boletes and Chicken of the Woods, among others! I also love oysters! You are lucky! Fresh Hedge Hogs! Yum!

Cool!!!

One great supplement I have been using (that you may already know about) is called "Alive!" It has a number of vitamins extracted from highly digestable sources, along with myconutrients: reishi, cordyceps, shitake, hiratake, maitake, chaga, and on and on. Maybe you would like it.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-11, 12:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysoda
Cool!!!

One great supplement I have been using (that you may already know about) is called "Alive!" It has a number of vitamins extracted from highly digestable sources, along with myconutrients: reishi, cordyceps, shitake, hiratake, maitake, chaga, and on and on. Maybe you would like it.

That sounds awesome! I take Multi Elite Whole Foods Vitamin from CTD labs...It has massive amounts of myconutrients and is the best I found for the price...I tried Paul Stamets Vitamins, which I liked, but they were pricey...I also drink Reishi and Ganoderma tea every day made from what I personally foraged. I've been in a different state, so I missed a great Morel season the last couple years. I actually went from the OK state line throughout Texas and did not find ONE Morel!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-11, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez in BR
Take magnesium (when you take your calcium supplement) and keep raising the magnesium dosage until you get to 'blowout stage' then back it down to the next lower dose and that's your dose.
i've recently started doing this. i take magnesium with each meal, getting up pretty high.
it has made a real difference in my health.
i haven't taken vitamins in decades and just ordered several kinds that Dr. Jack Kruse recommended for people that eat a lot of protein.. like me.
after i've been on them for awhile, i plan to make a review of my overall health.

we have to experiment, until we find our sweet spot with vitamins.
but the magnesium is a definite!