Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 00:12

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default De-stressing with Magnesium and...

I thought I would share a recent discovery with you that has really helped me relax at night and even mellowed me out during the day.

In the last few months I have been hit with a lot of anxiety. I am entering that wonderful phase of womanhood, peri-menopausal and to be honest, everything is really the pits...hot flashes, mood swings, depression, night sweats and the worst, night time anxiety. For months I have been just laying in bed and my mind races from one ridiculous thought to the next, preventing me from sleeping.

I will be honest and say this is the hardest time in my life staying on our WOE. It has just been awful. I want carbs, and then I eat them and of course I feel worse...(please don't tell me I just need to stop eating them, I know that, but my will powerful lately has been NIL and it really stinks)

Most of these symptoms got better after I started taking a new supplement called "Pro-fema" from Pure Essence. (it's really good if you are looking for a female multi). But it was not touching my night time anxiety.

I tried just about everything...nothing seemed to work, and I was really ready for prescription drugs...

Then I remember a product I added to my supplement list years ago when I was doing a liver detox Natural Calm, hich as you know is chelated magnesium. Once the detox was over I stopped taking it and never really thought about it again. I started to use it at night again and saw a big difference in my sleep. But it just want not enough alone to help me relax and get into deep sleep.

SO instead of just taking it alone I am taking it with one .8% Standardize Valerian Root Extract (450 mg - Vitamin Shoppe Brand )
and one chewable Melatonin ( 500 mcg -Trader Joe's Brand).

Wow. I feel like I have finally found something to not only help me sleep but I am feeling so much better during the day as well. I am still taking fish oils and D3, but the added Magnesium, Valerian, and Melatonin cocktail has really helped me de-stress at night.

IF you are having some troubles at night try it, it might help.

Thanks to all the people on here pushing magnesium...it really has been a God send!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 07:46

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I can relate Kelrivas. I was up most of last night reading. I don't know why I didn't reach for my valerian, hops, chamomile mix. I think I may give melatonin another shot. The few times I took it I felt like I was in a twilight type of sleep - not deep. That's great you found something that is working for you.

Sweet dreams!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 06:15

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

This is day 1 for me on the mag and D3 ..... I hope for great things... the recommended dose is 2 x 200mg twice a day for the mag, and 1 x 1000iu x once or twice a day.
Watch out! I'm coming through.....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 15:13

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I took Natural calm before and remember how mellow it made me, however it's very expensive. Does anyone know of one that is chelated that is cheaper? I do have some NOW brand mag citrate, is that chelated?

ETA: I looked it up and mag citrate is chelated, so why does it not have the same calming effect on me as the Natural Calm? Any ideas?

Last edited by LAwoman75 : Thu, Aug-18-11 at 15:20.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 04:56

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Amanda pointed out a company on line called iHerb.com and suggested Doctor's Best mark. the service was good and so were the prices.
I'm in the same rotten position, I can put up with nasty, I can put up with misserable, but I can't stand the hot, sweaty sleepless nights....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 05:55

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I was wondering the same thing LAwoman. There are so many positive reviews of Natural Calm on Amazon that I'm thinking of trying some.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-11, 11:38

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

I know it is a bit expensive but I think something about using warm water and it being efflorescent makes it more bio-available. I am now sharing it with one of my room mates who was miserable at night. He is now sleeping through the night as well.

For me though I had to add both the Valerian and the Melatonin to get the full deep sleep affect, one alone did not cut it. Also every few days I don't take it, because I don't want my body to get adjusted to it.

It also helps my lower back pain. I think it's because Magnesium relaxes the muscles. Some days I am a little too mellow from what my kids tell me