Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 16:23

Plan: Atkins - Back to Square 1
Stats: 236.2/216.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Anyone Else Get Good Support from Family and Friends?

I've read on these boards a lot of people that have issues with getting support from family, friends, and co-workers. I'm having trouble understanding that because my family, friends, and co-workers have been great at giving me support.

If I ask someone out to eat, they ask me where I want to go because they know that my "diet" is more restricted. (Actually, I have a broad pallate, so they have a more restricted list.) The only one who doesn't make adjustments for me is my aunt, but that's not a big deal since there's plenty of food to eat.

Just today, I ran into someone who told me how much weight I've lost and that I'm looking great!

Anyone else have great support from their family, friends, and co-workers?

One other thing I do is focus on the positive side of things which is a REAL challenge for me. I used to describe myself as a pessimist, skeptic, and cynic. Now, if I don't lose weight, but I eat on plan, I tell someone, "I didn't lose anything, but at least I'm sticking with the plan."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 23:53

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Yep, my husband and I have been on this from the start ... he lost a little more than I did but he had more to lose! At this stage, we're both on maintenance and hanging around here to keep ourselves accountable ... so far, it's working for us.

I'm so glad for you, having family and friends supporting you ... that makes it so much easier! Keep up the good work and best wishes on your ongoing journey to better health and a slimmer you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 02:35

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I am another one who has had only support from family and friends.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 05:49

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

My Dad doesn't agree with my diet choices, but then he's a biologist and thinks everything he learned in college about nutrition is gospel. But my Mum is another story.

We're pumping iron together!

None of my family are doing LC, but they support me in the lifestyle, and yesterday was the 7th time I got to the gym after my Mum and I started exercising together (it was also the first time alone, as Mum forgot her gym gear...).

She's 30 years older than me, and I think she's awesome for doing this!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 06:31
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I've had nothing but support as well - from family and friends, coworkers and people that I just see day to day (like at the places I go to for lunch). Some people may not understand or agree with the way I am eating, but that doesn't mean they aren't supportive of ME.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 06:51

Plan: bulking!
Stats: 133/114/120 Female 62 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 146%

My friends have all been very supportive and for the most part very considerate (i.e. "If we go to Such-n-Such, is there anything there you can eat?"). My coworkers have not taken offense when I didn't want to order out with them, and have expressed interest in what I've done to lose weight. My (young adult) son lives with me and sometimes we eat together, sometimes we each fend for ourselves; if he's noticed that there hasn't been any potatoes or rice with the meat and veg when I cook for the past five months, he hasn't mentioned it!

Because some of my weight loss has coincided with stressful events in my life, I have gotten some concerned queries from a few people about whether it's purposeful or whether I'm just not eating. No one's pushed after being reassured it's voluntary (and after I detail how much cheese I eat in a week ). So, yeah, everyone's pretty much been great.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 08:37

Plan: LC with CO
Stats: 479.6/475/299 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 3%

My immediate family is super supportive. My brother, mom and dad are all on low-carb. We all live in different households and cities, but we keep in touch throw texts, emails, etc. My brother is actually on this forum too. But when we get together for the holidays (immediate and extended family), the people not on LC want to eat our food! It's funny and now we cook enough for everyone (faux-tatoes, LC pumpkin pie, etc.).

My friends are completely different from my family...rarely do they ask me if I can eat "there." I will have to tell them, I want to go to dinner with you, but it'll be hard for me to eat there. They'll usually say, OK, where can you eat, and I'll offer a suggestion. But they do NOT like the high fat - they're all low-fat fans. When I first did LC and the fat melted off, they were the ones saying somewhat negatives things to me. Then when I gained it all back, no one said anything (to my face anyway). But now, I'm back on LC and I feel great. I have to do what's best for me.

Also, it surprises me how many people don't even know what a carb is. My cousin who is in school for her MBA offered me some of her pie the other day and I said, no thanks, I'm on LC. She said, I don't know what a carb is. Oh my goodness...

So, basically, I get my support from my family and the forum.