Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Ketosis and stalling

I have a question regarding ketosis. I have not lost at all this week, and have seemed to stall out. Frustrating, but not the end of the world. Just a stark contrast to prior weeks where the pounds were really moving. And I have not really changed my diet much at all.

Throughout the week, I have been in ketosis. Always mild (owing to the amount of water I am drinking). Please correct me if I am wrong, but ketosis is a binary situation, right? Either you are in it or not. If you are in it, you are generating maximal fat burning. If you are not, you are not. There are no degrees of ketosis, or intensities of ketosis. If the ketostrips say you are making ketones, that is all you need to know.

I hope that next week will be better. I am doing fine and am happy with my progress. I'm not complaining, but was just wondering.

Good luck all,
David
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Ketosis and stalling

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bing
Please correct me if I am wrong, but ketosis is a binary situation, right? Either you are in it or not. If you are in it, you are generating maximal fat burning. If you are not, you are not. There are no degrees of ketosis, or intensities of ketosis. If the ketostrips say you are making ketones, that is all you need to know.

Yes, and no, Dave. Yes, either you are burning fat or you are not, but No - those damned keto stix aren't going to tell you the truth every time you use them. When you get right down to it they are not very good indicators of fat burning at all.

Ketosis = Fat burning

What has happened to you is a) normal and b) normal Your body needs a break - give it one. It has been rewarding you with fat loss and now it needs time to adjust to its new size. Weight gain is rarely a straight progression upward. Weight loss is even less a straight slide down. And please keep in mind that a stall is defined as six (6) weeks with no move on the scale and no change in measurements.

If you've slowed down and have not changed anything then it's a sure sign that the old body needs time to adjust. Let it; and in the mean time enjoy your new WOE.

Nat