Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%
Default LC foods in Montreal area

I've heard so much about all these LC foods available. Mostly I have seen commercials on TV and in magazines but it's all USA ads. I figured eventually Canada will have these products available too but until then..... I do know there are stores in the MTL area that carry Atkins products but when I went, there was hardly anything! Some of the bars, the bake mix and syrup... that's about it. I know there is LC milk, bread, ice cream, bbq sauce, jam, etc.... but does anyone know if this stuff is available in Montreal and if yes, where? I am trying to avoid having to order this stuff on line.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 20:44

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hope there is a decent amount of LC stuff in Montreal. I'm going to be visiting in Aug/Sept.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 04:42

Stats: 160/140/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I'm in Montreal too. You're right, not as much available as in the US but here is some stuff I've found.

the HealthTree store on St. Jean blvd in Pointe Claire has quite a bit of Atkins stuff - mixes, pancake syrup, bbq sauces, bars, supplements - as well as other LC items. I bought some buns that I used for burgers. They have Gram's Gourmet granola too, which I love with a little cream and a splash of Torani's SF vanilla.

Second Cup sells Torani brand SF syrup in vanilla and sometimes raspberry.

Loblaws healthfood section has some LC items - Atkins bars, soy flour (if you make your own bake mix), and nut butters like peanut, almond, macadamia ...

Bulk sections of a bulk store will have nuts, flaxseeds, almond flour, etc. There's a bulk store in the Pointe Claire shopping center (not Fairview but the one close to St-Jean and the 20), it's called Papillon but I haven't been there yet. Costco has big bags of nuts too.

Cantor's makes low-carb bread and bagels. You should call first though because I don't think every store carries them.

Still, I've had to order a few items online, specifically LC tortillas. Try doing a search for "Montreal" on this board. There have been other threads about lc products in Mtl.

Mare
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 04:44

Stats: 160/140/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Ice Cream!

Oh yeah, Breyer's makes a lc ice cream sweetened with Splenda. It's called SmartScoop. Be sure to look for the "Splenda" logo on the front because they make one with aspartame as well. I found it at my local IGA and have seen it at Loblaws and Metro as well. You should be able to find it easily.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 10:36

Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%

THANKS MARBEL!!!! I am so excited! I will definitely be heading over to Pointe Claire this weekend!! I think I will stop at a grocery store tonight for that ice cream though!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 11:52

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Loblaws in Ontario is now carrying Carb Options dressings and sauces, so they should soon or already be in Quebec. We are just not in the habit of looking in the right places.

I still think it's better to use real foods instead of these substitutes but everyone has to make their own choices. Just be SURE to read the labels as there are NO REGULATIONS about what can be called lc.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:07

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Im in Montreal now. Where is Cantors?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 21:17

Stats: 175/150/125 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi there!

GNC stores also carry quite a bit of stuff. It's that store that nobody notices in shopping malls because it looks like it is only destined to body builders.

Check this link out: http://www.gnc.com/

And as a dépanneur last-minute thing, some Pharmaprix's carry bars (both Advantage and Endulge) individually.

Both stores are quite pricey (as is anything low-carb, really) but GNC offers a Gold card that gives you a rebate. The first time I bought from them, they GAVE it to me because it was cheaper for me to buy it and get the discount than to just pay the regular price. And the personnel is quite knowledgeable as well about the low-carb lifestyle.

Hope this helps!

Charlaine
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 17:06

BF:
Default Jones in Montreal

I got in touch with Sucrebleu on St-Denis a few weeks ago. I am proud to announce that they now carry Jones sodas, INCLUDING the sugarless kind!

Just thought you'd like to know!

Charlaine

BTW, Sucrebleu is a candy store... careful not to pick the candies that contain sugar! They have many kinds that don't!

(crossposted)

Bonbons Sucrebleu, 1741 rue Saint-Denis Montréal, QC H2X 3K4, Tel: 514-282-1440
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 15:35

BF:
Thumbs up Atkins bars half price at GNC

Hey, Montrealers!

Sweetie and I have just bought Atkins Advantage bars and Endulge bars at 1/2 price at GNC. We stacked up, bien sûr!

Just thought you might want to know!

Charlie
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 06:04

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Yes like Charlie said, you get a lot of LC at GNC and try to get the gold card...its only 15$ per year and you do save a lot...Loblaws has Carb Options and Walmarts too...i went to this Walmart on Henri Bourassa and Lacordiare and they have like a super market in there...(no meat) its like the Walmarts in USA..they also have LC peanut butter...its neat and cheaper then Loblaws...this weekend i went to loblaws in my area looking for this vitamin and didnt have lady told me to go on the Corner of Rachel and Berri...she cant remember the name of the place but said its on the corner...something TO or TOUT its a natural product place and seems that they get whatever they want that other natural product places cant get because its one of the biggest natural product place...so im not sure what it is yet cause i havent been...will do this weekend coming...im sure they have LC stuff...

I dont buy much of LC products...i rather stay off of them and not get that sweet artifical taste in my mouth...or i would be worry to take advantage of it and then fall into the wrong foods again...it is a whole new lifestyle of eating...so i try sticking to fresh and natural as possible and reading every label that i can find...often we dont read and just buy whats LC...

Scarlet...in one post you mentioned that Montreal has only process meat...and cows arent raised on grass like ireland...well like we all mentioned in that post, Canada has fantastic meat...you need to know where to shop...if you want organic or fresh, try Atwarter Market, Jean Talon Market, the 440 Market...and Loblaws has a section at the butcher side not counters they have AAA meat...so you cant get better then that...i hope you find what you need....
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 06:54

BF:

Hey Lan,

There are two places in that neighborhood: one is called Rachelle-Béry (on the corner of Rachel and Berri streets) and the other one is called Tau, on St-Denis, between Rachel and Marianne.

http://www.rachellebery.com
http://www.marchestau.com/

Get your peanut butter there! Tau has almond butter as well
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 13:18
Registered Member

Stats: 000/ 000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default lc products in Montreal

Fleur Sauvage on Monkland in NDG also has a lot of lc products. Their prices are quite good.

Teva Healthfoods on Decarie and Queen Mary Road has lots of lc products, including a frozen lc bread at only 3 net grams of carb a slice. However, they are not cheap. I think the loaf of bread is almost seven dollars.

Marche Akhavan on Sherbrooke, corner of Grand in NDG has coconut oil at a decent price. They also have freshly roasted nuts at very good prices. They have about eight different flavours of pistachios in the shell, lots of varieties of almonds.

Jean Coutu has the Mister Freeze assorted flavour ice pops sweetened with Splenda. There are 99 in a box, and the box sells for $3.58.

Thank you to everyone who posts a find. It makes life so much easier for the rest of us.

Cherie in Montreal
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 04:59

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Charlaine....i wasnt sure of the addy but since you have the web page its even better...still didnt go cause i worked nights at school...it was registration for the adults...worked 4 nights and came home late....this post is great...i find it helps us montrealers where to go to find our LC products...so i think if one of us finds anything new we should post it to help us out....thanks to all
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 18:43

BF:
Progress:

i found today at metro food store lc dressing called irresistible...2gm of carb...new...french herbs, maple, poppy seed and its 3.80$...great stuff