Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 17:53
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-
hi Z- glad to hear you are doing well! I am on 1000iu of D3- thanks. It's because of you and the links you have so generously shared on this site.

Hi Squiggle and Chris- welome! I think this is a great plan- glad you are trying it! Please post a lot- ask questions and let us know how you are doing. I really recommend balancing your RMs - I found that works best for me. This is a YMMV kind of thing- but glad you are here!

Today I had:
CM- 2 eggs, 1T cream cheese, 2 slices turkey bacon, black coffee
CM- hot dog, mustard, sauerkraut, diet coke(Costco)
RM- salad, roasted cauliflower, mexican pot roast (chuck roast, chilis in adobo, crushed tomatoes with lime and cilantro), 1/2 roll. ice cream. (Remember- I am maintaining not losing!)

Later-
E
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 225/219.5/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Alright, I don't have the Heller's 2nd book (CALP?), but I think it probably clears up a couple of things I am wondering. CAD says that we should eat a balanced RM, what exactly is balanced in their opnion? I am worried about trying to count and calculate things, it always stresses me out and I thought it wasnt needed on CAD, which is one of the reasons I switched over from Atkins!

Right now I'm going mad because my mom is baking Christmas cookies and making candy (she does this every year) and the smell is so delicious. But my 60 minute RM is already done for today so I am going to have to wait till tomorrow to eat a cookie or two! However, I do like the feeling that I can actually HAVE a cookie at all on this plan! Makes me feel good, and not so deprived!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 18:37
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, a few more questions. Are nuts allowed during CM? They are not on the list but I thought they were very low carb.

Second, dessert. How much dessert is enough? The book said to eat as much dessert as you want but I feel like I could go crazy with this. Especially with the Christmas cookies and candies in the house! Plus some really good Moose Tracks ice cream that my mom and I bought last night. Mmmm.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 04:50
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

okay- let's try this.
Balanced means 1/3 protein, 1/3 veggies,1/3 carbs. Period. If you think you can't do this, try using 3 small plates or bowls. No other measuring or weighing or counting- really. CALP also has you have a green salad before or with the RM meal. This is what I do. I don't care what you read or think you read in CAD- I don't know anyone who has been successful on this plan who eats as much dessert as they want. Just MHO. [hey out there- if you eat as much dessert as you want and are doing great on this plan- please post so I know I'm wrong.] If you want to have all the sugar that you are talking about- go ahead. It will be interesting for you to see how you do. This is a very hard time to start a plan to lose weight- but doing CAD or CALP will still let you limit carbs and have holiday meals too. I guess you have to make a decision if you would rather have the sweets. You are right- your next RM is only 24 hours away. You can even ask you mom to put some of the cookies you really want in a zipper bag so you KNOW they are there for tomorrow.
I did much better having a complex carb for my carb, and having sweets only once or twice a week. Even now I can't have sweets daily- just feel yucky.

While atkins and SDB and others allow nuts, the Hellers plans only allow nuts for RM. This is a YMMV issue. I do eat nuts almost daily, as my MD wants me to have a serving of almonds daily.

HTH-
E
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 05:08
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Message is a duplicate-deleted.

Last edited by Enomarb : Mon, Dec-10-07 at 09:58.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 09:12
Registered Member

BF:

Great, thanks Enomarb for the response. I was thinking along the same lines as you about the dessert thing. I was only asking because I do have The Carb Addict's Diet and it says "Reward Meal quantities are not limited. Have two desserts if you wish. Have more of whatever you wish. At your RM, there are no limitations on how much you eat as long as the meal is well-balanced and sensible." (p. 107) Having two desserts and eating a well-balanced and sensible meal seem to be somewhat mutually exclusive. That was where my question arose.

As for nuts, I think I am going to allow a serving/handful per day. If my weight stalls that will be one of the things I remove. I love nuts, and because my mom makes chocolate-covered nut clusters for Christmas we have a huge amount in the house.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 09:57
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Chris-
I think the Hellers also say that you need to have more protein and veggies if you are having more carbs- and I am so full after the salad, veggies, protein and first carb that I have never gone back for round 2. The 1 hour time limit helps too.

Just try and keep track of your eating and weight and how you feel physically. Maybe use your journal?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do too!
E
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I think I am going to start using My PLAN, the only problem I have had when trying to use it in the past is that a lot of food seems to not be in the database.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 23:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Everyone! I didn't realize that I've been away so long! I've been busy decorating for the holidays and haven't been on the computer much.

Welcome back, Eno! And welcome Squiggle and Chris!

I've been just trying to maintain for now. Too many things to do around here to do much more than that. It's my turn to host the family Christmas this year. And this will be the first year that my future DIL will be here for the holidays so I want it to be extra special!

I kind of do a combination of CAD/CALP. I don't really balance all my RMs but I also never do the carb fest that CAD has come to be known for. I also hardly ever do a salad before my meal.

I'm going to work on doing mainly CALP once the holidays are over but for now I'm continue as I've been doing. We are trying to use up all the food in the fridge and freezer to make room for holiday foods so my RMs will be kind of weird!

I better get going....I'm working on a Christmas tree and would like to make a little more progress before I go to bed! I'll try to get back in tomorrow!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 270/267/243 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi all! Thank you for the welcome!

I'm tapering down the carbs in my RM so that I don't have a huge water loss all at once. Do any of you have trouble staying OUT of ketosis doing CAD/CALP?
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 15:11
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
Linda, glad you are having fun with getting ready for Christmas. Sounds like you have a great plan, too.
Hi Squiggle-
I never measured if I was in or out of ketosis- I just did the plan and it all worked out. I eat more carbs now than I did in the losing phase (you can go back to OLD posts by lookin on my profile and clicking all posts and see old menus) because I don't want to lose more weight, and I seem to be able to eat more carbs now (still part of my RM0 and maintain.

Having leftover chicken tonight, with salad, spinach, and I think half a roll and a grapefruit.
E
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 23:06

BF:

Hi Everyone! Paying a little closer attention to portion sizes! I've been kind of sliding in that area lately because I've got other things on my mind! Did good today!

And I got my workout! I keep a couple notebooks of the miles that I do for my various exercises and for the year starting January 1st to now, I have almost 2800 miles of outdoor biking, indoor biking, outdoor walking, treadmill and rebounder! I'll still be adding indoor biking to that till the end of the month and then it's time to start the counts over!

Here is a link to what's been keeping me busy the last few weeks! It's the trees that are done so far as well as a few of the other decorations! I hope to do the rest by Sunday!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/479168...57603447719223/
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 07:54
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

I can't believe it is almost the end of the year!! It has FLOWN by.
My eating has been good, but unusual for me (that time of the year...). On Saturday we went to a party that we left very early- went intending to just say hi and go. Went to a small local place for a burger/salad/beer, but it had a 30-40 minute wait! So we went for chinese. Of course I woke up yesterday up 3 lbs- and all swollen. Then yesterday we went out to breakfast at a pancake place- friends had been asking us to brunch and then changes it to this place after I said okay. I didn't even open the menus- just got a veggie and cheddar omelet. The waitress asked what kind of pancakes (came with) and I said to pack them in a to go container, please. So I had 1/2 of the HUGE omelet for brunch, and then had the pancakes as my dessert last night!

yesterday's RM: salad, spinach, lamb burger, 1/2 pita, hummus, 1/2 (shared with DH) small side of pancakes (with butter and fig jam and syrup), water.

CM: 1/2 vegie omelet with cheese (from yesterday), black coffee
CM (planned): chicken cesar salad
RM (planned): Chick Fil'A salad, sandwich, coleslaw

Hope you are all doing great!
E
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 11:30

BF:

It's been a busy week for me with more to come this week! Finally finished all my decorating and now I need to get things ready for the family Christmas get together (my turn to host this year!). We'll be doing an appetizer buffet on Sunday and watching football! The family is excited to keep it casual and fun! We don't exchange gifts so it's just good food and family fun!

Then it's Christmas Eve with DH's side of the family! Also lots of good food and family fun! Christmas Day will be just us, our kids and future DIL and mayb ethe grandparents for lunch. I want to make DS#2's favorites while he's here. He's told his fiancee all about these foods and wants her to enjoy them, too!

Not sure what we'll be doing for an RM today. I've been just maintaining for now because I'm so busy. It's easy for me to maintain so that's my choice till after the first of the year.

I'll try to get back in here when I can but if not, Have a Happy Holiday Season Everyone!
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/Now CAD
Stats: 165/161/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 13%

I usually just lurk on this site but now I have a question for you. First of all I like the WOE very much. If I do just Atkins I get really bored and fall off, but on CAD I can do very well. My question for you is do you experienced CADers count calories? I am older and it is so easy for me to not lose that I am so fearful of not counting. Any advice for me?

Thanks so much,
Suze
Closed Thread