Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-01, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi! A former collegue gave me a handful of roasted or toasted soybeans to try one time, well before I was trying to low-carb. Anyway, I was just thinking about those and wondering if they would be ok on Atkins? I never thought about it again, but will soon be near a store or two (for a change) so thought I might pick some up if they make an ok snack, I kinda liked them as I remember. They were spiced up somehow.

I was also wondering about those simulated bacon bits, seems the main ingredient is soy flour, would they be ok? Anyone ever checked it out?

Lots of new messages since yesterday! I'll be on, reading a way for a little while.

thanks,
Mari
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-01, 17:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Unhappy way high carbs Mari

Those simulated bacon bits are way too high in carbs, 2 gm per Tbsp (15 ml). Try to find REAL bacon bits, or those packages of pre-cooked real bacon in plastic pouches. They keep for ages in yer cupboard, and are much lower carb (and better tasting, I think). Lately, I've been cooking up a whole pkg. of bacon at once, then wrapping and freezing slices to use later. They nuke in 15 seconds. Crumble perfectly on salads and omelets. The kitchen and stove gets spattered with grease only once! ..

And sorry to say, those soy "nuts" are way carby. One cup is 33.9 total carbs (4 gm fiber). that's for plain, often the barbecue and other flavours have dextrose added. ..

Consider small pouches of peanuts (50 gm = 9 gm total carbs, 5 gm fiber) or sunflower seeds (11 gm total carbs, 8 gm fiber)

Doreen

p.s. - Mari, and everyone --- you can check out carb counts for foods online at the USDA data bank, http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl ... however, if you don't have unlimited internet time, something on yer desktop would be good. Check out this handy food counts program (free download) http://www.silvertriad.com/ ---- it's great, good for 6200 different foods, and you can even type in different serving sizes too. Hope this has helped.

Doreen.