Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:20
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%
Question Hypoglycemia*yikes*

I was just told by the Dr. I have hypoglycemia. I need to go see a nutritionist at the hospital for a "special diet"...yuk!

What I need to know...is 2.4 or 2.8 too low? I have passed out in the past,(go figure, lol)...and I was wondering how low my numbers will get before I pass out again. At the 2.4 I was kind of "feeling it"...but never knew what was wrong before so I never had my little blood machine with me to measure my sugar level.

Don't
get me wrong...I know that 2.4 is low...I'm just wondering how low is "too low...as in passing out low.

Warm hugs...Cin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:17

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Reading the instructions with my "One Touch Ultra" it says that 3.3 is the threshold for hypoglycemia, and that normal before meals would be 4 to 5.5. Looks as though you are way below that. Usually hypoglycemia follows a high blood sugar peak caused by eating too many carbs and / or sugar, especially if not moderated with fat or protein. Could that be the cause of your situation ?
Good luck and watch out for nutritional advisers I was put on a high carb low fat diet initially by the doctor's nutritionist and started to see galloping weight increases, and much worse hypoglycemic symptoms.
If you want to take control yourself, the Bernstein book is probably the best starting point, while it is written for diabetics, it's main purpose is the control of blood sugar levels.
Here is his web site.
http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/index.shtml
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:38
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

The doctor told me that I would be on a VERY low carb diet plan. Sounds like an Atkins thing to me. I was on Atkins before and foundit difficult. We eat out alot and I...well...I just found it hard to stay on. I'm waiting for the hospital to call back for an appointment with the nutritionist. *yikes*

Hugs..cin
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default What's so hard about eating out?

My DH and I went to Red Lobster last night for dinner and had no trouble staying with low carb. He got the broiled catfish, steak and crab stuffed flounder. I got the shrimp scampi, chicken breast and crab legs with butter. We both had caesar salads (minus the croutons) and asked for vegetables instead of potato. For appetizers, we had crab and cheese stuffed mushrooms and bacon wrapped scallops. The only thing that was served that we didn't eat were the cheese biscuits. I love this WOE! Seriously....most restaurants are willing to work with you if you ask. Ask to substitute a larger salad or vegetables for the potato or rice and order a meat that doesn't have breading or gravy on it. While I've gotten some strange looks for waiters, I have yet to eat at a restaurant that said "we can't do that" when I asked for lower carb substitutes. Something else that works with hypoglycemia is to eat smaller, more frequent meals; about every 3 hours or so instead of the traditional "3 square" meals. Let us know how your visit with the nutritionist goes!