Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203/135
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question What is high insulin?

My endocronoligist recently did a blood test and told me that my insulin level was very high at 32, and should be around 14. Does this mean I'm insulin resistant? He put me on metformin/glucophage. My husband read up on possible side effects and doesn't really think I should take it. My doctor said most of his patients feel much better on it and do not want to get off once they have been on it. I'm hoping to feel better, with more energy, lose weight and get control of depression. AM I EXPECTING , LIKE, WAY TOO MUCH. I've been having bad afternoon headaches, no other side effects yet. Been on it for 1 week, once a day. He wants me to gradually go up to 3 a day. I am currently taking synthroid and prevacid daily. I've heard some people on low carb diets can eventually quit taking medication for acid reflux, that would be great too.

I think being over weight adds to my depression, and depression adds to my weight gain. WHAT A CIRCLE TO BREAK!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 13:34

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Post Hyperinsulinemia

....that's the other name for high levels of insulin.

Sure sounds like you've got high levels all right. I don't know what the numbers should be but I would trust the endocrinologist.

High insulin levels are often the precursor of Type 2 diabetes, so you want to listen to the doc. You don't want to become a diabetic, trust me! Glucophage works in the liver to help your body better utilize the insulin that is already present in the bloodstream. One of the functions of insulin is to convert unused, excess carbs (and fat) to body fat (adipose tissue). Your high insulin levels are definitely making you gain weight.

If your husband is concerned about glucophage, have him research diabetes & the complications - I'm sure he'll be more comfortable with glucophage then, because using this med and losing weight could prevent you from developing diabetes.

Glucophage can cause a lot of stomach upset, I've been there, done that . If you do have tummy problems, always take your pills with or in the middle of your meals. About 14 months ago I started on glucophage for the 2nd time and it took about 2 months for my body to get used to it but I persisted & it doesn't cause me any problems now.

So what you want to do is follow your LC plan to the letter, no LC substitutes which could set off cravings and take the glucophage as prescribed by your dr. Exercise can only help you burn off fat. Walking is often the best exercise but if you are able to run, roller blade or do more, go for it.

If you'd like to know more about hyperinsulinemia, diabetes and insulin, I'd recommend you buy Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. You can read some of the chapters online here

A bit of my story: Before starting Atkins 1 year ago I was taking 5 mg glyberide split into 2 doses + 500mg glucophage 3 x day. Glyberide makes your pancreas produce more insulin to control blood sugars, but it also contributes to weight gain (the insulin factor). I was able to stop taking glyberide the day I started to follow Atkins. My blood glucose (BG) was in an acceptable range so my dr agreed to stopping this med. In Feb my HgA1c test (checks the last 3 months of blood glucose) was the low end of normal & now I've got to watch out for *low* BG so have reduced the glucophage to 2 x day. I can probably reduce it further, but since glucophage *might* be able to help in weight loss I want to continue taking it for a while. . My numbers from Jan 2001 to Feb 2002; cholesterol: 5.2 down to 4.7; HbA1C .068 down to .049. My Dr is extremely pleased with these numbers & so am I!

Prevacid: Eventually you will probably be able to stop taking this med. I was on Rx med for acid reflux for 3.5 yrs - Nov 2001 I decided to stop taking it and was pleased to find that I didn't need it any more . I can even eat spicy chicken wings just before bed and no problems. How cool is that? I attibute it to both LCing and the weight loss (about 40-45 lbs at that time). I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that carbs ferment in your stomach and contribute to and/or cause acid reflux. Considering how many lowcarbers don't need acid reflux meds since they've been LCing + the 60-75% fat content of their diets, it leads me to think that it is carbs not dietary fat that is the biggest culprit in acid reflux. (shrug) but I don't know for sure, all I know is that LCing helps acid relux.

Synthroid: I don't know if lowcarbing will help with your thyroid, but regular check ups with the endo will certainly be in order.

Tango, you are not expecting too much, but please do allow yourself 4-6 months to see good results, especially acid reflux. By following LC and taking your meds, you will lose weight and eventually have more energy. Some people find that their depression eases as they get healthier. Certainly your high insulin levels will improve as you lose weight and use the glucophage. Acid reflux will be a thing of the past. .
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:49

Stats: 208/203/135
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default TERRIBLE Headaches w/Glucophage/Meformin

Ruth, Did you have problems with headaches when you started taking glucophage? I did not see that as a side effect in my Pill Book, but since I started taking the pills once a day (since Mar.22nd), I've had HORRIBLE headaches, some waking me in the middle of the night THROBBING, like I had been hanging upside down or something. I called my doctor today, but he is out until Wednesday and the doctor "on call", had his nurse tell me to quit taking the metformin/glucophage until I talk to my doctor on Wednesday. I don't know if I can keep taking it if this pain keeps up, I did not get but around 5 hours sleep last night and woke up at 5am with it still pounding. I really want to stay on it and "reap" all the benefits, but it scares me of the potentially deadly side effects listed in the book.
Cheryl
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:29

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Headaches

Hi Cheryl,

Have you started Atkins? Carb withdrawal can cause all kinds of nasty side affects, including monster headaches, feeling ill, etc. If you are starting Atkins & metformin at the same time, I'd suggest dropping Metformin until you see the Dr, as the nurse suggests.

I get throbbing headaches some days, but most of the time it is because of tension/muscle aches and not enough food. I eat 6 small meals and work out vigorously (Body For Life). I don't particularly remember headaches so much as tummy upset when I started Metformin. The tummy woes were awful .

Take care,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 08:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Cheryl,

I'm a type 2 diabetic and began taking glucovance (met + glubyride) and it can upset tummy. My doctor let me start on real small doses and up each week and like Ruth said, it is best to eat a full meal -- Ruth told me that and it helped me tremendously.

I felt better when I took it if I ate protien first like chicken thighs and then took it and finished my meal (more meat and veggies). I think the protein really set a good cushion for the meds.

I didn't suffer headaches either, I don't remember that being a side effect.

You might journal how you are feeling and everything, and take that with you to the doctor -- especially if it is a certain time of day all this hits -- sometimes that helps them pinpoint things better.

You take care and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Debi
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 03:52
Registered Member

Plan: TKD,CKD,atkin,bodyop
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

hello I'm a Not type 1 diabetic nor 2 diabetic

i use Glucophage 500/3 time day 1500 per day
after 24 h i novice that im crave for suger !!! why

im only use Glucophage to get into ketosis after reach ketosis i stop using this drug

also i feel that im eating some rat ,,

Why 2 diabetic use this drug ??

thanks
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 10:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

q8ty...

Glucophage won't help you get into ketosis faster; that's not what it's made for. Glucophage is made to help diabetics be more sensitive to the insulin that they produce and because of that, their blood sugars go back down to normal levels. I suspect that you are craving sugar because your blood sugars are too low since you are not a diabetic. Did a doctor prescribe this for you and are you monitoring your blood sugars while taking it?? If not, please stop taking it because you could be making your blood sugars go too low and that is dangerous.

Cheryl...definitely take your Glucophage either during or right after a meal; taking it on an empty stomach can make you very nauseous. There is also an extended release version of Glucophage that you only have to take once a day at dinnertime. The headaches could be from a lot of things, like not enough water or low potassium or caffeine withdrawal (or all of the above). I don't remember having headaches when I first started taking Glucophage, but it's been over a year and I also started low carbing at the same time. I was feeling so bad before I started low carbing, crappy would have been an improvement so I never noticed the withdrawals...I felt better immediately! BTW...I'm now off ALL my medications and feeling great!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 14:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your replay

i always carb up end of the week ,,and after this carb up day
i trying to get into ketosis its take 3 -4 day to get into ketosis with out Glucophage

after i discover Glucophage i get into ketosis 1-2 no more ..
i use Glucophage only 2 day max at 1500 there time day

yes i monitoring my blood suger after get up at day 2 (57.6)
(3.2 mmol)

I stop use this drug after i craving

why some bodybuilding use insulin ??
they use it after work out usualy and then wait 1/2 hour and start Drink or eat carb+portein meal or shake !!
i hear for some of them this will cause anabolic effect if they use insulin after work out but if they use it befor work out this will give them pumb other people say this will cause weight gain and fat lose also i hear from other people this will transport gulocose into musles !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 15:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

1,500 mg three times a day? q8ty....you're scaring me. As a diabetic with my blood sugars out of contol, I was taking 1,000 mg. a day, not 3 times a day! Now, I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like way too much for even a diabetic, let alone someone who is not. TrainerDan would be a better person to ask about the effects of using Insulin to "get pumped" during or after a workout, but again, that sounds like a pretty dangerous practice to me. Using prescription drugs like Insulin and steroids to build more muscle is a practice that could backfire on you in a big way. Insulin has several functions in the body. It helps transport glucose from your blood into your cells where it can be used for energy and it also plays a big part in fat storage. Too much insulin and you store fat, too little or insulin that your body can't use due to diabetes and you don't store fat. A healthy pancreas in a body that is not insulin resistant produces just the right amount of insulin that you need, so there should be no need to inject yourself with more. Check out the Exercise/Training forum...there may be more information for you there to help with your body building efforts and please be careful with that Glucophage!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 17:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

LOOOL !!! YOU Understand me wrong
i forget to write 1500 there time a day in divid dosage mean
500 X 3
i dont want to use Insulin nor steroid i want to build my musles in Healthy way but with Some Drug Loool
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 18:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Too much insulin and you store fat, too little or insulin that your body can't use due to diabetes and you don't store fat.

Thanks for post this info that what im looking for

i have to Research About insulin
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 22:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there q8ty,

It seems that Glucophage and insulin (humulin) are hot blackmarket drugs for quick bulking with bodybuilders, especially when combined with ketogenic diet such as Atkins, or CKD / Body Opus diet. The use of these drugs for this purpose is not regulated, nor is it ethical or safe.

This forum is for persons who seek support and information about lowcarbing for their diabetes and blood sugar problems, and for information about medications, including glucophage and insulin, that have been prescribed by their medical doctor who is also monitoring their progress.

I'm sorry, but we cannot and will not provide support for your use of glucophage for bodybuilding. There are support forums around the web that can answer those questions you may have. I strongly urge you to seek professional experience and advice before you get into serious trouble. These drugs are not without serious side effects that can be life-threatening. You're already experiencing significant hypoglycemia ... any blood sugar lower than 70 (3.6) is too low.

GET EXPERT ADVICE. BETTER YET, DON'T DO THIS AT ALL!! Try using a sound nutritious diet such as ketogenic or CKD along with good exercise and technique, and natural supplements, vitamins and protein. You'll live a lot longer and healthier, trust me.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 05:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

i dont know what to say after hear you
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 08:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by q8ty
i dont know what to say after hear you
Well, I would sincerely like to see you be successful with your bodybuilding goals

My opinion as a health professional is that the methods you're investigating are not safe or legal, and outside of the scope of our support community here. But, I'm not telling you what to do If you choose to pursue using these risky methods, that's your choice to do so, but I strongly urge you to seek professional EXPERT advice and guidance for your own safety.

What we CAN do for you here is help you with your diet and exercise goals, help with low-carbing, issues relating to ketogenic diet and nutritional supplements.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks .. i know that all people in this board are helpful
and they give me good push to continue what i start

i dont want to use humulin nor steroid i only want to know how insulin work in bodybuilding and why they gain and lose fat

i know that i use some drug like Glucophage but that only to give me some motive to continue becuse its realy hard for some here at middle east eat lowcarb
middle eastern food is tooo yummy and tempting with all the desserts out there

thanks for help