Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%
Default Am I on the Verge of Type 2?

I figured out that my "shakes, cold sweat, weak, almost pass out" feelings were hypoglycemia that was caused frequently by caffiene and sometimes by exercise. I used my son's glucometer (he is a Type 1) and found that my blood glucose levels drop below 60 mg/dl at these shakey times so of course, I ditched caffiene. I am now trying to reduce my carbs and increase my fats to fight fatigue. Yesterday, I could not get through my exercise because my fatigue was excessive. I decided to check my blood glucose and it was 149 mg/dl. I had eaten eggs and cheese for breakfast; raw brocolli/cauliflower/carrots/bell pepper/cabbage and some tuna with mayo for a snack; scrambled eggs and a Granny Smith Apple for lunch. I tried to exercise one hour after lunch. Is 149 a high number that indicates anything? I know a lot about the Type 1 numbers my son has but I am not sure about the 149. Anybody know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:49

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm not a doctor, so please don't take anything I say as fact. You should see your doctor with questions regarding blood sugar. That said... If you tested your blood after lunch, there is bound to be an increase in blood sugar as the body rushes to release insulin as a result of the food you ate. You indicated that you ate an apple before hand. Apples (as most fruits) will also raise your blood sugar. My understanding is that the best time to measure your blood sugar is in the morning, before eating. You can get a good idea of what is going on by taking your count before a meal and then an hour after a meal. (that might be two hours after a meal, I can't remember...best to check on that.)

Hypoglycemia is different that Hyperglycemia (type 2). However, sometimes a person who is hypoglycemic MAY someday develop type 2 diabeties.

I hope that helps some, but again.... I strongly suggest you go to your doctor for the answers to your concerns.

Lark
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm not a doctor, either, but I am a diabetic. 149 is not terribly high for 1 hour after a meal, especially one in which fast acting carbs (the apple) are eaten. Your blood sugar readings should return to normal within 2 hours of eating a meal, however. Controlled carb is an excellent way to control both hypo AND hyperglycemia; both are problems with insulin production which controlled carb keeps on a nice, even keel. A diagnosis of diabetes is based on what your fasting blood sugar levels look like and also usually on a glucose tolerance test. Until you can get your blood sugars stable, I'd suggest cutting out the higher glycemic foods (like carrots and apples) and sticking with meats, fish, chicken, eggs, cheeses and low carb veggies for a couple of weeks. Fats would also be fine as they have no impact on blood sugars. Good job on ditching the caffeine...it does cause an insulin response with resulting low blood sugars in a lot of people. If you continue to be concerned about your blood sugars and the possibility of type 2 diabetes, please see your doctor for a thorough checkup.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 00:58
Pending Member

Plan: mix
Stats: 120/120/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am similar to you. I have never seen my blood sugar go below 75, but if I eat a piece of fruit like an apple, my blood sugar will go up to something like 150 in 30 minutes and it starts shooting down rapidly and then I get the shakes, sometimes this weird numbing feeling on the left side of my body, or get very very hungry. (For some reason, fruit sugar seems to affect me more dramatically than table sugar.)

If I eat 1/4 of an apple after a good size meal, I am OK. A snack size protein meal like a couple of eggs and one whole apple will certaily do the damage. I just need to make sure I don't eat any fruit alone. I need to eat a small serving of fruit only after a good sized meal.

BTW, I am not diabetic. I was having a lot of problems with blood sugar (hypoglycemia symptoms) and when I went to a doctor after eating a big bowl of white rice and the nurse checked my blood sugar, it was 190. My dr ordered a blood test to check for diabetes but my blood test came back within the normal range. The doctor was nothing but helpful because the test came back negative. I am not suggesting you don't see a doctor. It may be a good thing for you to go to a doctor and get the baseline blood sugar level. All I'm saying is my doctor was helpful to run the test for me, but that was about it.

I bought a glucometer after that and checked my blood sugar with different types of foods. I found out that high carb foods will raise my blood sugar to an abnormal range (especially if I eat a lot of say rice or pasta. White rice is for me much worse than pasta, and bread is worse than pasta), but comes down to a normal range within less than 30 minutes to an hour after the peak.

My way of eating now is to eat protein rich food with very little "bad food" and good carbs, and I must eat frequently. That seems like the only way to keep my blood sugar stable.

I also have to make sure and eat a good sized meal before exercise (I play volleyball and the play lasts for about two hours) or I start losing strengh and get really light headed. I also have to make sure and eat more carbs (even some pasta or some bread - maybe an oz, on top of some good veggies) before I exercize, or I get the same light headedness or foggy brain. I sometimes even eat a small piece of zone bars during the game if I start feeling a little weak. (I know you aren't supposed to exercise with full stomach, but this seems like the only way I last for two hours of vball without losing my mental alertness or physical strength...so I do what works for me. )

I tried Dr. Bernsteins way of eating for a while and it is true, my blood sugar never fluctuated more than 20 (it was constantly between 100 and 110), but I simply coudn't exercise this way.

What you might want to do is check your sugar level with different types of food and see what keeps your blood sugar stable and what doesn't. Also, when you do this, if you, say, eat a whole apple, do the check every 15 minutes. It is possible 149 you saw might not have been the peak. In my case, if I am feeling unusually tired or sleepy, it is when the blood sugar is coming down too fast from too high.

I decided not to do the glucose tolerance test although another doctor ordered it. I already know I have a glucose problem. Why making myself go through the worst hypoglycemic torture I know I will experience in my life? That was my reasoning anyway.

I hope this helps,

Tomo

Last edited by tomoolson : Thu, Jun-20-02 at 01:16.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 13:34

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tomoolson
I just wanted to say what a great posting that you made, the methodology that you followed is the exact same as my own, getting a glycometer and self monitoring to establish the foods that cause your blood sugar to rise. I have used the glycometer intermittently for 2 years now just to make sure that my diet is still working for me and is keeping blood sugars down to the normal level. My view is that every time they peak they have to go somewhere...into the fat cells of course.
Many thanks again, I printed it off and shared it with friends