Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 19:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Wcollier - A naturopath is a good idea. Our health plan covers $500.00 worth a yr., and I could afford it, when it runs out, but - I bet they would get me off my low carb diet, and my scale has actually gone down a few lbs this week, finally.
I live in the Victoria area.

Naturopathic and Holistic doctors tend to like low carb diets b/c they don't rely on drugs to lower blood lipids. I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised, but if you are concerned, ask the receptionist about his nutritional politics.

I'm seeing two red flags...... fibromyalgia and heart palpitations. Both of those disappeared for me once I started Cortef for adrenal support.The heart palpitations is a signal for me to increase my dosage.

BTW, I LOVE Victoria! *sigh*
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 20:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
BTW, I LOVE Victoria! *sigh*

Oh yeah! Me too. Buchart Gardens... *sigh*
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 14:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%
Default Up-date

Well- I have been taking HRT for a week, and I'm quite surprised that it has really cooled me down. Remember, I was burning up all the time? Well - I would say I am 80% cooler. I am warm, but not constantly sweating for no reason. My Dr. wanted me to try it for 2 weeks to see if it would make a difference.
I am going to see the internist that was away on holidays, and my Dr. got me in to see him on his 1st day back. Not sure what I will say now. I'm going to phone + see what my T3 + T4 results were, and try to figure out what normal Canadian results would be.
In the meantime I have started taking " Thyrosense" that I got from the health food store. Have any of you tried it?
I just have to do something about this bloody weight that won't budge, inspite of all the exercise I am doing!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 06:57

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hey Sunnywey...glad you're feeling a 'little' better. Haven't heard of Thyrosense though!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%
Default I Really Blew It!!

Well- I had a 2 hr. appointment with an internist today. He covered everything including a very intensive physical. He has ordered adrenal tests, and pituatory + every hormone test known to man. That is good. I have to go and repeat all the thyroid tests in a month + go back + see him. I guess I shouldn't take the health food "thyrosense" I bought. He said it may be revolving into a thyroid problem, but if I started meds now- it would really mess me up, as he really felt they were normal at this point in spite of all my symptoms. So - He did take me very seriously, but, he said that my refexes were not sluggish etc. like they would be if I was hypo.
He didn't know what to suggest about my weight. He thought I should stay on HRT for a year, then see where I am at, cuz I am cooler + do feel a bit better. My rhuematologist felt that my fibromyalgia pain would be less on HRT, and I think it is.
I told him that I should not weigh this much, and if he could only see what I eat, and all the exercise I do. By the way, I weigh more than I admit to here. I haven't had the heart to change my stats.

THEN-

I went to get some salad stuff for dinner + bought a bag of "Miss Vickie's Honey + Garlic" potoato chips + some jelly candies. I haven't done this for a long time. I am just so tired of struggling + watching everything I eat, and not loosing. I just don't care right now!
I guess I was hoping for an answer. As I was leaving - the 2 receptionists said they both spent 2 yr trying to get thyroid medication + they started trashing doctors. HA!

I will start over again tomorrow.

Thanks for listening!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Sunny, don't lose heart. If this dr doesn't help you, you'll have all the blood tests you need to get to a holistic type Dr. that will know your TSH is high and will treat your symptoms.