Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 09:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 10:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I read all of the links, lots of interesting info. I like the Red Potatoes with white meat.
Do you have the right soil or will you need to amend it?
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 11:36

BF:

The soils here are forest soils. The soils are not deep by a garden type standard. Not much humus. The leaves that fall and compost are very thin, maybe 4-6 inches if that, then the dirt-sand-clay starts. The wild blueberries loves this soil .

Started removing an area of trees in the spring, and another section needs the trees removed.

Giving up the community garden. Rather put the energy and resources into my own property.

All soils need amending-- as we remove minerals in the form of food or wood, eventually the mineals are used up. NPK gets used up too.

Trying to narrow choices to the best ones for my area, and our uses. We tried several blue skinned varieties this year. Liked the look o f Magic Molly as the blue fleshed blue potato, High andocides. My kids can still eat potatoes.
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 18:13

BF:

GARLIC

The Maine Potato Lady

https://www.madrivergarlicgrowers.c...-varieties.html

Garlic – The Great Traveler
Posted by admin in Edible Gardening
Garlic IntolerantThe history of garlic can almost be described as the history of human migration. Garlic is native to Central Asia, specifically the Caucasus region between the Black and the Caspian Seas, and over many millennia it has been carried to almost all corners of the world. Garlic flavours many of the world’s cuisines. It is steeped in folk lore and legend. (Everyone knows that wearing garlic is the best way to keep vampires at bay!) Folk wisdom attributes garlic with a variety of curative properties, many of which have been proven by contemporary science. Garlic is mentioned in ancient Egyptian, Greek, Indian, and Chinese writings as well as the Bible and Koran.

Garlic was first brought to North America by immigrants from Poland, Germany and Italy, but most of the varieties we use now came into the US in 1989. In the 1980’s the USDA tried to get permission to collect new garlics in the Caucasus region, then part of the Soviet Union, but were denied because of military installations in the area.

Red Russian garlic
Red Russian garlic

In 1989 the Americans were finally granted permission to enter the region, but were heavily guarded and allowed to travel only at night. They travelled along the old Silk Road and purchased garlics from local markets, often naming them for the towns and villages they were found in. (Red Russian garlic, one of our most popular varieties, was actually brought into BC by the Dukhobors in the early 1900’s and is now considered to be a BC heritage variety.)

Garlic, or Allium sativum, comes in two basic types – hardneck and softneck. Hardneck varieties (var. ophioscorodon) usually grow a woody flower stalk or scape out of the centre of the bulb. They do best in cold, damp climates. Typically a bulb develops four to ten large cloves. Flavours are strong and often spicy and complex. Most hardneck garlic does not store well and is best used fresh. Hardneck varieties come in three different types: Rocamboles, which have thin parchment-like skins, and are easy to peel, Porcelains which have thick tough skin and do store well, and Purple Striped, named for their distinctive colouring.Garlic Types

Softneck garlics (var, sativum) evolved from hardneck varieties and grow best in warmer climates. Bulbs keep well and typically contain multiple cloves. They don’t produce flower stalks unless they are stressed. Softneck varieties come in two different types: Silverskin and Artichoke. Silverskins have soft pliable necks that lend themselves to braiding, lots of small cloves and spicy flavours. Artichoke garlics have larger but fewer cloves and a milder flavor. Most of the commercially grown garlics found in the grocery store are softneck varieties.

Elephant garlic (Allium ampeloprasum) is actually more closely related to leeks than to garlic. It produces a small number of very large cloves of mild flavour. It needs a good, long, warm growing season to grow well.
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 22:21

BF:

Re:amending the soil, I was thinking about house manure, chicken and sheep manure for your garden fertilizer. Do you let it degrade in a pile?
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Re:amending the soil, I was thinking about house manure, chicken and sheep manure for your garden fertilizer. Do you let it degrade in a pile?

No house manure. Im not THAT desperate. I keep all animal manure on the farm, compost it usually, sometimes spread it fresh if need be thru the woods for the trees.

Most plants cant handle fresh manure. Rabbit manure doesnt burn but again most plants dont want a lot at once.

I need to learn better how to balance use. I also think high nitrogen areas need a vegetative crop rather than a root crop or a fruiting crop.
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:39

BF:

http://www.madaboutberries.com/roses.html

Picked rose hips back inSeptember while visiting Buckport Maine, and touring the new bridge.

Need to get them ready for planting.

I cannot grown the modern roses. They all die. The old types thrive on neglect. SOme are bushy with very small rosehips, my prefered rose has a very large rose hip. Good for making jam, tea and more seeds. These are less vining bushes, and are usually compact upright canes.
  #113   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:52

BF:

Some animal manures spread weeds if there are seeds undigested. I read a comparison of all the animal manures and it was very interesting but no House manure
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
http://www.madaboutberries.com/roses.html

Picked rose hips back inSeptember while visiting Buckport Maine, and touring the new bridge.

Need to get them ready for planting.

I cannot grown the modern roses. They all die. The old types thrive on neglect. SOme are bushy with very small rosehips, my prefered rose has a very large rose hip. Good for making jam, tea and more seeds. These are less vining bushes, and are usually compact upright canes.

I grow only roses on their own root, no grafted roses. Commonly they're called Antique Roses. Here is where I've bought mine before, it's a beautiful place to visit.
https://antiqueroseemporium.com/

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Oct-08-18 at 15:54.
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 15:34

BF:

Saving seeds from one cuke to test for hybrid.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ed...-harvesting.htm
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 15:56

BF:

Quote:
I grow only roses on their own root, no grafted roses. Commenly they're called Antique Roses. Here is where I've bought mine before, it's a beautiful place to visit.
https://antiqueroseemporium.com/

THESE ARE GORGEOUS!!!! I had only seen a couple varieties that gave huge hips, usually in a dry, unwatered landscape. Recently started taking a few hips to try to grow. Had no idea the number of varieties is staggering. Though I was the only one who liked old roses.

You are lucky to live so close to the retail store.
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Some animal manures spread weeds if there are seeds undigested. I read a comparison of all the animal manures and it was very interesting but no House manure

I used to worry about composting the manure to kill the weed seeds but nature blows in so many and the wild birds add more, that I don't care about the weed seeds any more in the HORSE manure.
  #118   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 16:29

BF:

Reading this it says that the fall is the best time to apply manure.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/co...your-garden.htm
  #119   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 19:10

BF:

Fall can be a good time when setting up a bed for spring; for the fall -planted garlic, a low nitrogen manure was suggested then in the spring use a high nitrogen manure. Here the plants are getting ready for the dormant season. Fertilizing needs to be finished by early AUgust. I also don't prune at this time.
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 21:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Fall can be a good time when setting up a bed for spring; for the fall -planted garlic, a low nitrogen manure was suggested then in the spring use a high nitrogen manure. Here the plants are getting ready for the dormant season. Fertilizing needs to be finished by early AUgust. I also don't prune at this time.

Are you tilling the manure into the soil?