Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 07:58

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

It's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault.

If you are Type 1, Type 2, LADA, MODY, or some kind they have not even identified yet.

It is not your fault.

That is all I have got to say on the matter.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 08:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
I do good on a VLC diet. I had a summary of all my outlier numbers which he looked at. I get a 160 every few months, and a 125 once or twice a week. And the odd lows of 65 once or twice a month. But you are right that Regular is really slow to reduce those highs. I don't think I can get my average BG below 90 without Lispro. I just have been so relieved to have a doctor who doesn't ignore repeated sessions of retinopathy, or thinks all of his patients should have an A1C above 6.5!

Hi Rob,

Your Doctor sounds reasonable, but not up to date.

He is tightening up on the ADA guideline as you know.

My Doctor said under 6.0 is good.

I asked him, how many non-diabetics do you know with an A1C over 5.0?

I told him I am trying to emulate a non-diabetic with the use of my insulins.

He said FINE! He is delighted I am managing my problem. He NEVER really made a big deal out of my weight (270-275 right now), but did suggest that it will be easier for me if I do get some weight off.

As I listen more and more on these boards I believe the Doctor I have is quite progressive compared to so many. He as a simple belief, do Rx's, do natural, get results. Whatever works for you I am happy with. That has been our relationship.

For example, he was concerned about the cholesterol and the LDL number being over 100. My prior readings were 230 total, 56 HDL and a calculated LDL around 140 or so. If you want precise numbers, I have to go get out my prior blood work. Not important to this discussion. He wanted me to go on a statin. I told him no. I don't like the risks. We also got into a discussion about inflamation probably being the real culprit.

In any event I told him I am going to try Niacin 1000mg daily and come back and lets see.

Well I did and my Cholesterol came back as 134 with my HDL up to 59 and my LDL somewhere around 70. He said fantastic, great, keep doing what you are doing.

He works with me. I am so lucky; I guess.

Truth be told, anyone that is having difficulty with a Doctor not up to date and stuck in his old ways should find a new Doctor.

I even loaned my Doctor my copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. This way he could see what I was using as my guideline.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:36

BF:
Progress:
Default Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Hi Rob,

Truth be told, anyone that is having difficulty with a Doctor not up to date and stuck in his old ways should find a new Doctor.

Best wishes,

Ralph

IMHO this is the kind of brilliant suggestion that could change the world for the better. The worst of them might just end up with no patients and wondering why...actually they would not be hurting anybody if they had no patients...so it is a winner even if they don't wonder why.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:34

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
It's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault.

If you are Type 1, Type 2, LADA, MODY, or some kind they have not even identified yet.

It is not your fault.

That is all I have got to say on the matter.

As Dr. Phil would say, "This is a concise, articulate, and well-thought out statement". I especially like the way you started and ended your statement.

Thank you.
it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault.
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 12:01

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Susan - I did read Jenny's 'eating disorders', fortunately my family is very supportive. They should be - I'm the dinner cook, and I even fix them potatoes, rice, etc.

Ralph - thanks for the post. As I said it has taken three years to find doc who supports A1Cs below 6. I had what I think was a statin reaction (muscle pain, flu like symptoms, extreme fatigue, and in my case some neurological damage). My new doctor agrees. It also threw my BGs off, my averages went from 90 to as high as 99(14 day reading). Another possibility is viral spinal menningitus, older folks may have quirky symptoms. I am largely recovered now, except for left hand fingers/grip which messes me up in the gym, and needing a lot more sleep particularly after a heavy gym session.

If I get back to a 30 day BGs average of 90 I should go below A1C of 5
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 12:18

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Okay, I'm not sure if I should post this here but, since this thread has morphed - why not?

I just got back from my chiropractor. He is a great chiropractor and has helped me a great deal with my bruised femur. He asked me how I was doing and addressed my diabetes. He was asking because I know he truly cares. He is one of my doctors that really puts forth great effort so show he cares. I told him that overall I felt things were going very well. My numbers have been considerably better and I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. I also told him that I lost 13.5 lbs so far and I've been able to walk an hour a day at a moderate pace. A few weeks ago I couldn't walk two minutes without feeling like I ran a marathon. He said I seemed very excited about being able to walk again. I said; "definately" and thrilled I found the right diet for me. He asked about my diet and I told him low carb. He started saying high protein diets....but I cut him off and told him that low carb diets are high fat and moderate protein. He may be confusing them with diets bodybuilders often rotate to get cut for competitions. He kind of looked grossed because he is a vegetarian. So - meat and fat for him is not his thing. I have nothing against being a vegetarian. I tried it and it didn't work for me because my grain content was just too high and although I love veggies, I just am not happy eating mostly veggies plus I was starving. Anyway, he went on saying that I must be cutting calories. I said NO WAY. I ate 800-1200 calories on a low fat/high carb diet and yes, I tried upping my calories thinking I was taking in too few calories. They didn't work. On low carb, I'm eating 1600-1700 calories daily and some days more. I've lost 13.5 lbs. It's like he gave me that look that I must be lying to him and my calories must be lower. Then he started with the fat content. He is a great guy really but, can't he just be happy I found the possible answer to my situation even if the answer is one that solves the problem temporarily? It's like they would be happier if I starved myself. The proof is in the pudding!

~Danielle
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 04:51

BF:

For some reason all the world beleives hi carbs is good with low fat; one of the biggest frauds perpetrated on the public.

Even eggs, the "natural" food, were condemned.

Cholesterol monster!

Maybe some day everyone will wake up and find out that carbs are the real problem; fat isn't.

How is it that I can eat 2-3 eggs every morning as my cholesterol drops from 230 down to 134?

Yes, the proof is in the pudding.

Ralph
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 07:47

Ralph -

That is good to hear. I eat 1-2 "omega" eggs every morning with bacon and a slice of cheese and although in my heart I truly believe it won't hurt me, my old self peaks in once in awhile thinking - should I?

I do!

~Danielle
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 08:30

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
can't he just be happy I found the possible answer to my situation even if the answer is one that solves the problem temporarily? It's like they would be happier if I starved myself. The proof is in the pudding!

~Danielle

Yum, pudding....

Look at it like this; he does care about you, and is expressing that concern according to what he genuinely believes is healthy.
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 11:11

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Okay, I'm not sure if I should post this here but, since this thread has morphed - why not?

I just got back from my chiropractor. He is a great chiropractor and has helped me a great deal with my bruised femur. He asked me how I was doing and addressed my diabetes. He was asking because I know he truly cares. He is one of my doctors that really puts forth great effort so show he cares. I told him that overall I felt things were going very well. My numbers have been considerably better and I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. I also told him that I lost 13.5 lbs so far and I've been able to walk an hour a day at a moderate pace. A few weeks ago I couldn't walk two minutes without feeling like I ran a marathon. He said I seemed very excited about being able to walk again. I said; "definately" and thrilled I found the right diet for me. He asked about my diet and I told him low carb. He started saying high protein diets....but I cut him off and told him that low carb diets are high fat and moderate protein. He may be confusing them with diets bodybuilders often rotate to get cut for competitions. He kind of looked grossed because he is a vegetarian. So - meat and fat for him is not his thing. I have nothing against being a vegetarian. I tried it and it didn't work for me because my grain content was just too high and although I love veggies, I just am not happy eating mostly veggies plus I was starving. Anyway, he went on saying that I must be cutting calories. I said NO WAY. I ate 800-1200 calories on a low fat/high carb diet and yes, I tried upping my calories thinking I was taking in too few calories. They didn't work. On low carb, I'm eating 1600-1700 calories daily and some days more. I've lost 13.5 lbs. It's like he gave me that look that I must be lying to him and my calories must be lower. Then he started with the fat content. He is a great guy really but, can't he just be happy I found the possible answer to my situation even if the answer is one that solves the problem temporarily? It's like they would be happier if I starved myself. The proof is in the pudding!

~Danielle

Looks like you are prepared to respect his choice of WOE, but he is not managing to do the same for you. That would frustrate me. You told him the truth and he didn't believe you too (regarding calories). It is always annoying when that happens.
  #116   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:13

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ralph -

That is good to hear. I eat 1-2 "omega" eggs every morning with bacon and a slice of cheese and although in my heart I truly believe it won't hurt me, my old self peaks in once in awhile thinking - should I?

I do!

~Danielle

My cholesterol was always good; usually less than 200 with hdl in high 50s.

This is heredity.

But it wasn't the eggs that lowered my cholesterol further; it was 1000mg niacin daily.

All I am saying is what we eat has very little to do with our numbers; they were inherited.

So, if you don't have the greatest cholseterol you might want to research niacin a bit more yourself and make some decisions.

I am not a Doctor so I am not going to recommend it to you, but I have had good experience and my Doc is delighted with the results.

Ralph
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
My cholesterol was always good; usually less than 200 with hdl in high 50s.

This is heredity.

But it wasn't the eggs that lowered my cholesterol further; it was 1000mg niacin daily.

All I am saying is what we eat has very little to do with our numbers; they were inherited.

So, if you don't have the greatest cholseterol you might want to research niacin a bit more yourself and make some decisions.

I am not a Doctor so I am not going to recommend it to you, but I have had good experience and my Doc is delighted with the results.

Ralph

Ralph -

I tried niacin. My Mother's doctor also put her on niacin and we both got that niacin flush. Man that was hot! I'm not a wimp when it come to pain either. Did you have that problem too?

~Danielle
  #118   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
Yum, pudding....

Look at it like this; he does care about you, and is expressing that concern according to what he genuinely believes is healthy.

LOL

You are probably right about that because I know they are caring people. When I had T & A surgery they sent me a card. They're that type of people. I think at the moment I was just hoping for a "good for you!" No biggie though.

~Danielle
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:26

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Ralph,

Fats can be a huge problem IF you eat them with a lot of carbs.

That is why there are so many studies that link fat to heart disease, because they were performed in people eating high carb diets.

The worst problem with low carb diets is that people do them for a few months or years, get into the habit of eating a lot of fat, then carb creep occurs and their carb intake goes up and they are STILL eating a lot of fat. Blue cheese dressing and 50 grams per meal is NOT good for you.

For every gram of carb you add to your diet, you need to cut out a gram of fat. When I get up to around 100 g of carb a day, which I can eat with Apidra and still get very nice blood sugars, I cut my fat intake way down.

It is also worth noting that there are some people with intact carb metabolisms who do very well on the low fat diet. We aren't them. But they do exist.
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
Looks like you are prepared to respect his choice of WOE, but he is not managing to do the same for you. That would frustrate me. You told him the truth and he didn't believe you too (regarding calories). It is always annoying when that happens.

I think you hit it on the head with the wrod frustrating. It was exactly that. A moment of frustration.

I was thinking of starting an local support group for people with diabetes. Perhaps, if I could just get some information out there it could change some opinions. It realy hurts me to think so many peple are going around feeling helpless at times.

~Danielle