Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-08, 13:35

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Sometimes I have to wonder about the kinds of people who sell horrible glucose-filled crap to people with diabetes along with the hype that tells them it is good for them.

I am tempted to start mailing out that photo of the diabetic foot minus toe that is floating around the internet to the executives of these companies.

That is what they are doing to people.

Maltitol raises me almost as high as regular sugar, but it also makes me far hungrier than regular sugar.

I don't understand why EVERYBODY thinks they know what we can eat. I am starting to see patterns in me, where it looks like some sugars are really powerful and my body doesn't notice others nearly so much. I can deal with having to say "All diabeics are different", a million times a day ...feels like it anyway. Those products should be labelled "Might dangerously raise blood glucose in some diabetics.", not "Safe for diabetics." Maltilol in tiny quantities has really helped me with the change to my diet...I completely believe other people cannot touch it...where are the billboards telling the world that they can't tell a diabetic what they can eat...their meter can.

Now I have just had an idea...next time some makes a suggestion about what I am ALLOWED to eat, I am going to get my meter out and say "Are you this machine? Because IT is the only thing that can tell me what I can eat."
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-08, 13:44

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Thanks! I think I read about this last night in Gretchen Becker's Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed. I don't doubt that Jenny has this on her website and book. I keep finding more and more information on Jenny's website www.bloodsugar101.com each time I look.

~Danielle
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-08, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo

Now I have just had an idea...next time some makes a suggestion about what I am ALLOWED to eat, I am going to get my meter out and say "Are you this machine? Because IT is the only thing that can tell me what I can eat."

Good answer. I had my meter on me too. I think she urked me because she entered my conversation and didn't come across as someone trying to help but, rather someone who was attempting to disprove what I know is true for me. If I felt she was being helpful I would have left it with that isn't true for everybody but, thanks anyway - bye.

~Danielle
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 07:26

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

All I can say is wow!

I am so happy I have caught up on this thread.

I have fought weight and lost the battle all my life.

You can say what you want about it, but my weight just kept creeping up over the years all while being active, a former runners body , etc., etc.,

I tried all the diets and enjoyed various short term victories.

Even today I know to try to keep my carbs down and when I am behaving properly I keep my carbs between 30-60 gms per day.

I re-read some of the materials on when does BG start to cause organ damage and for the most part I have kept my BG below 100 and 2 hours post priandal ( I always mis-spell that word) I have kept it below 100 but sometimes up to 120 because I carbed out on something like ice cream.

I am so happy I made the decision to do insulin both basil (Levemir) and bolus (Novolog).

I came to the conclusion early in my diagnosis that the best thing I could do is try to emulate a non-diabetics BG's charts and A1C. I am trying to get my A1C below 5.0, right now it is 5.4.

I am trying to get my average BG below 100 and I am usually close 100-105. I take 7 readings a day.

I live by the meter and there have been times I have "abused" in terms of carb intake.

But, I usually keep my BG peak below 140 and most often below 100. But I do need to be a bit more disciplined in keeping it below 100 and that ends that.

I use Levemir and Novolog and I chase the meter. I am getting pretty good and knowing how to counter some of my "favorite" meals with the right dose of Novolog before hand.

So I am rambling.

I believe as many do and there are studies to prove it, that emulating the non-diabetics BG curve and keeping my A1C in the 5's heading for below 5 is the right course of action whatever it takes.

I must give myself about 20 injections per day to do that (6 Levemir's at 7 units in the morning and 6 Levemir's at 7 units in the evening just before bedtime and ther remaining 5-8 of Novolog based on how many carbs I am having at a meal).

I know even more so that I am doing the right thing even though I am very guilty of not getting the weight off as I should.

Now, I start my next phase of weight loss. I am trying to get to 250 by year end. Right now I am back up in the 270s, not good, but I will do it.

I really don't feel good at this weight.

I exercise, but not as good as a few years ago when I was at 260.

So I know getting my weight down brings about better quality of life besides it benefit of improving my control over my T2 diabetes.

But there is absolutely no doubt that going to insulin and Metformin ER was the right choice in dealing with this disease whether or not my overweight condition caused it.

Thanks goodness I have a terrific Doctor who simply goes along with whatever I come up with as long as it produces scientific results.

Ralph
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 07:42

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Eating to the meter is the most powerful tool available.

But the tragic truth is that a very small percentage of all Type 2s in the U.S. have been told to test after meals. The vast majority are still testing once a day, maybe once a week.

Test strips are expensive and many insurers including Medicare will only cover 100 a month, tops, and that may be only for people injecting insulin.

So many people with Type 2 have no idea what is happening to their blood sugar after meals. And neither do many of their doctors.

So much unnecessary suffering and death. Diabetes care is like Cancer care back in the days when most doctors smoked.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 07:58

Quote:

But the tragic truth is that a very small percentage of all Type 2s in the U.S. have been told to test after meals. The vast majority are still testing once a day, maybe once a week.

Test strips are expensive and many insurers including Medicare will only cover 100 a month, tops, and that may be only for people injecting insulin.

So many people with Type 2 have no idea what is happening to their blood sugar after meals. And neither do many of their doctors.

So much unnecessary suffering and death. Diabetes care is like Cancer care back in the days when most doctors smoked.

Thank God my insurance is covering 100 a month. My Mother had about 600 strips from my grandmother and mailed those to me. My grandmother is now in a nursing home being tested - I didn't steal my Nana's strips!

~Danielle
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 10:27

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
But that said, even sadder to me are people who eat low carb and make huge improvements in their blood sugar but get so frustrated because they can't lose weight that they end up blowing off the diet.

Separating out blood sugar control from weight loss seems to work best. Tell people all they have to do is lower their blood sugars--not that they have to lose weight, and most people will feel so much more successful (and most will control blood sugars much better if they cut the carbs).

As I'm reading all the posts before this one, I was just starting to think that I need to concentrate more on eating for my diabetes than for weight loss. It has been reading these and other posts that I have come to understand that as a diabetic perhaps I shouldn't be eating all that protein that my present low-carb diet calls for. I thought I was safe eating so much protein because I didn't realize the significant impact protein can have on BS. I'm not a big eater and often struggle to eat the amount of protein called for on the diet I'm following.

I was doing just fine eating a moderate amount of protein and a veggie or two and now I'm seeing that for a diabetic this is more like how I should be eating anyway. You guys have a wealth of information and it is SO appreciated. As always thanks for sharing it.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 10:38

Pamlynn-

Jenny has a protein calculator on her website www.bloodsugar101.com . I'm curious if there is a large difference between what you are doing now and the calculations. Either way - eat to your meter.

~Danielle
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 23:40

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
Rob,

I have done that and it has helped greatly. Thank you for passing that on to me and others. I've really only gotten as far as cheesecake but, if you get the chance can you pass along the pumpkin cheesecake recipe and fudge? The holidays aren't too far and I wouldn't mind making a batch for friends and keeping a small bit for me.

~Danielle

Fudge:
8 oz each ground nuts (I get mine at Trader Joes) and baking chocolate,
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup splenda

microwave 1 minute at a time stir and repeat (chocolate needs to melt, but it burns easily), add enough heavy cream so that you can easily stir it (about half a cup)

Put into a square cake tin, and chill
score it into whatever sizes you want. Store in fridge or freezer.

Pumpkin Cheese Cake (this recipe doubled the pumpkin and halved the cheese)
8 oz warmed cream cheese (otherwise it won't mix into the mixture)
15 oz tin of pure pumpkin (as opposed to pumpkin pie mix)
3 eggs,
3/4 cup Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each clove and nutmeg

Bake at about 325 until knife comes out clean

You can prebake a nutflower/butter crust if you want, but it does add calories, and I prefer some whipped cream instead!
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 07:52

Thank you Rob!
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 13:04

BF:

Quote:

This is so true.

We had a visit by a good friend.

She is T2 diabetic.

She tests once a day.

She eats what she wants.

She takes some pills and also basil insulin.

But she doesn't track all day; just end of day and sometimes morning.

UGH

It wasn't the right time to say anything, but I want to write to her.

She is such an intelligent woman too.

Ralph
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 13:25
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I think type 2s should be testing 6 times per day unless you are very stable. Type 1s test a lot more - sometimes 15 times a day.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 13:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
"I am looking into some chelation products too."
Ralph
You have probably already found EDTA.
Eddie

Eddie,

I found this one in Newsmax.

http://www.truehealth.com/advanceda...readers=newsmax

I am thinking of trying it.

It makes good sense.

Read about it and share.

Ralph
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 06:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I think type 2s should be testing 6 times per day unless you are very stable. Type 1s test a lot more - sometimes 15 times a day.

I am testing 7-8 times per day right now. I am T2

When I am doing real well aka LCING I can skip a few tests.

Now I have heard somewhere that once you move on to medicare here in USA you are only allowed 100 strips per month! UGH

Ralph
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 06:30
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

My insurance doesn't cover all the strips I use.