Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/high fat
Stats: 278/211/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Hutton 50 - Sounds like you really are doing well. Congrats.

Why is it? both when my wife and I had cancer the docs go out of their way to lay out the options, give their professional advice, and if asked (we did) their personal advice. Always tell us to think it over, told us how quickly we should make a decision.

Diabetes? you're a 6 year older without parents. Doctor will tell you what to do. Don't ask for alternatives? Don't suggest which medicines? Don't suggest which goals? Don't?Don't?

I don't know why Doctors have to be sooooooo.... about diabetes. This one even shocked my husband about his over all attitude. The very first visit he told me there will be LOTS of pills, he had no history, no numbers nothing but looking at me. I wanted the tests done though so went with him. Now I want to prove to him how Wrong wrong wrong he is about me being "totally out of control" before dumping him like a sack of rocks!

As he was talking to me I already knew it takes 3 months for a full change in the A1C numbers. I knew IF I took the pills it STILL would take 3 months for that to show up. I WANT to do it with out pills and it looks to me like it is working. I will stick to it too.
My only prayer is more weight loss. Not giving up on that either.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
To Hutton 50:

My blood pressure was about like you're getting at home and I've even had it as high as what you saw at your Doctor's office... I refused blood pressue medicines.

I do however supplement with an herb and I do take a good variety of vitamins, minerals and amino acids:

My herb pills for lowering blood pressure is"

Er Long Zuo Ci Wan (A Chinese Herb available from a company on the Internet:

Thank you, Cajunboy47

I can say that without the support here I don't think I would have had the strength to stand up to this doctor.
It is good to read about how others are working through this challenge.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:21

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

To Hutton 50:

My blood pressure was about like you're getting at home and I've even had it as high as what you saw at your Doctor's office... I refused blood pressue medicines.

I do however supplement with an herb and I do take a good variety of vitamins, minerals and amino acids:

My herb pills for lowering blood pressure is"

Er Long Zuo Ci Wan (A Chinese Herb available from a company on the Internet:

http://chinamedicinemall.com/products_chinese.htm

I have a friend who is a Chinese Herbal Doctor and she said that I should take 10 twice a day and not 8 three times daily as instructed on the bottle and monitor and if my results were good, it would be enough. I have been on this way for several months.... my blood pressure is now around 125/70 and my pulse rate used to be 90s' and it is now in the 70s'. It did take a few weeks to see good results and improvements.

But, this was my choice! Please don't do anything because I or anyone else sound like we're advising you. This is my experience and it worked for me.

I take a baby aspirin daily, it is supposed to be a preventative measure against having a stroke or heart attack and most doctors give out this advice readily.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 18:01

Now there's a psychic phonomena!... Hutton 50's post #107 is in responsed to my post #108 ..... wonder how that happened?
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 20:37
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Wonder if Hutton sees any money in my future....?
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 05:06

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Yes, but it's Monopoly money.....
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 08:37
Registered Member

BF:

OH ohhhhh Lost my crystal ball....
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:11

I wish I could see myself in the future weighing 25 pounds less. that would be nice..... NOw that I've said that, I'll hurry and check if Hutton's previous post addresses my comments on this post. Maybe she has (had) a good answer for me.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:13

RATS!, I just went back and checked. Her answer was, she lost her Crystal Ball.... I feel like I'm in the twiligh zone...
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 12:49
Registered Member

BF:

LOL!

IF I did know the future, I would be RICH, skinny, ( since I am already happy that wouldn't change) by knowing just what would make my eating habits work and the Stock market.
If it were at all possible I would share my wealth with you in both areas!
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 09:12
Registered Member

BF:

GOOD NEWS!

Finally changed my profile, lost 3 pounds!

After not seeing the scale change for over a month, I decided to do meat and egg for a while and see if it would break my stall.

I started it monday and this morning the scale showed 218.
I got on it 3 times to make sure! HA

I keep my calorie intake at close to 1400.
My Blood sugars have been running...
morning.. 94, 100, 102
lunch... 97
Dinner... 99
bed time last night.. 110

I am drinking about 96 ounces of water thru out the day besides my coffee.
I do put heavy cream in my coffee but count it in my fitday as well.
I also use liquid Fasweet which has no carbs, no sodium no calorie.
I am still taking vits, gymnema

I am going to stay with the ME thru the rest of this week and then decide what to do after that.
OH, I do include 1 Tablespoon of Coconut oil with my eggs in the morning and Lunch meals.
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:13

Plan: Barry Groves
Stats: 203/152/152 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

To Cajunboy 47

Just like to introduce myself and say how much I have appreciated reading your thread and about your success. It is great - very encouraging. A few years ago I tried Barry Groves methods to lose some weight - I have a lot of respect for him. Nothing worked for me - since that time I have had a few health issues resulting in serious pneumonia and hospilisation last November when I was finaly diagnose with diabetes type 11. Obviously have had this for some years but was unfortunate with my GP. (Have a much better one now)
Since November I have lost 61lbs mainly by counting calories and carbs - my blood work is good too - AC1 of 5.2 - I am on Metformin 500 x 2 per day. However, I have felt so dead tired all of the time and have now changed my carb level from about 90 a day to between 30 - 60. Already My energy level has improved. It is great to compare notes like this and can I ask you how you get along with fruit. I have found that I can eat berries and yoghurt ok but I do often feel hungrier afterwards. I am considering going back on the Groves plan properly now and perhaps eating about 40 carbs a day instead of the 60. Good to read all the postings by you good folk and best wishes with staying on top of this thing!!!
  #118   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 18:11

Posted by Chrystal:
Quote:
It is great to compare notes like this and can I ask you how you get along with fruit. I have found that I can eat berries and yoghurt ok but I do often feel hungrier afterwards.

Fruit, if you look back to my postings from 7/11 & 7/12 and the results of a few days afterwards don't treat me well except under certain conditions and those were not the conditions...

Basically, I can handle up to 100 carbs a day without losing control and without medications when I walk for 1 to 2 hours (about 7 or so miles, sometimes 8)... I generally don't eat fruit, but if I treat myself to a piece of fruit on a long walking day, no problems, but any fruit and sitting around and my BG numbers creep to about 160 or so, and that is eating just an apple.

Groves says diabetics should never eat fruit and I think he is right. I'm going through a very stressful week, my numbers are not stable, but I seem powerless to control it. I will be ok in a few days, hopefully... I know if you check you'll see I've downed a few beers the last few days and basically I don't hardly ever drink, but it is either relax with a couple of cold ones or take prescription drugs such as Zanex to calm myself, so I'm dealing with it drinking a beer or two..

What do you think about metformin? My last Doctor visit, the Doctor ordered it for me in case I need something and said that it actually helps the liver utilize the sugar better without making the pancreas put out more insulin, unlike the Glipizide that was ordered for me before. I don't take BG medicine, but allow it to be ordered for back up... I am interested in your opinion of this drug...

Also, after this stress period, I'm going to experiment a little with my supplements. I am going to focus more on cholesterol lowering supplements and decrease on some of the others I take. When I make the adjustments, I will post it in my journal..
  #119   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 21:02

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default diabetes reversal?

I don't think it's very likely that diabetes per se can be reversed.With diet and exercise,diet and exercise and supplements or diet and exercise and
prescription meds,blood glucose levels can be brought under control to suppress further damage
and allow a high quality of life-I think that's what
most of us on this forum strive for.
Blown out beta cells won't grow back.Maybe
insulin resistance can be somewhat improved.
Good test to see if diabetes is reversed:
Eat a big baked potato,followed by a large helping
of ice cream and check your glucose 2 hours later.
If it's under 100,your diabetes has probably been
reversed.For my nondiabetic wife,the glucose number is 90.My glucose level is pretty well controlled these days with diet, exercise,a little herbal stuff and a couple of meds but I definitely have to stay away from certain foods that I love.
Wow,I miss a couple of choclate chip cookies every
now and then.I will always be a diabetic.
But that's okay.Life is still pretty good.
Three cheers for the members of the D club!
Eddie
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 02:08

Plan: Barry Groves
Stats: 203/152/152 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

In reply to your question about Metformin - Personally I have had no problems with it and found it a definite help with my appetite and weightloss. I take the medication with meals as suggested and after a slight bit of gas the first couple of times - soon settled down. It is one medication that Dr Bernstein is ok with too. Trying to find a way of eating for life is proving harder - I find that low calorie is tiring and boring - plus that hungry feeling is always there. I am reading some of Dana Carpenders stuff at the moment which is very good. Ketosis is something I am a bit wary of if I am honest so go much more with Barry Groves way of 60 grms . At what level do you find you can lose weight best now? Do you find that if you drop to say an average of 60 do you lose weight or do you need to go to 40 gms.
Apologies if you have already mentioned this - I must read back through all the posts. Barry Groves latest book has wonderful reviews about health in general and I have just ordered myself a copy. On his website there is a list of foods suitable for diabetics and fruit is on there which is a bit confusing. Howeve I shall not eat any more and see how it goes. Do you use Splenda or Stevia or anything at all to sweeten ? I know he says its best not to but just wondered how you get along without any of it? Sorry your week is shaky at present - just shows how easy it is to upset the balance of our bodies - fortunately we can soon restore it when we know what to do.

Last edited by chrystal : Tue, Aug-07-07 at 03:50.