Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Dan & Karen's Story: 11 months and 136 pounds ago

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 14:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Way to go Dan! Nice abs too. Do you have any before pics, there would definitly be a great contrast.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:13

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

WTG Dankar!

I want abs like yours! One of these days.....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default A picture of me then..

Dan - when he didn't know about the LC WOL. Even the hat felt tight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fat picture of dan.jpg (9.4 KB, 2684 views)

Last edited by dankar : Wed, Mar-06-02 at 15:23.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:19

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Holy moly what a change!

Now where is a picture of that lovely wife?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:53

BF:
Default Another one I'd like to burn...

Here is another lovely picture of myself I get to look at every time I show my ID. If I didn't need to drive my car I'd burn it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver's license picture - no info.jpg (11.4 KB, 2603 views)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 16:04

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

whoo hoo! what a magnificent re-birth, dan! that's some bod you got now!

do you work out a lot, or is that just from LCing, walking, fishing...?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 16:11

Stats: 200/160/150
BF:
Progress: 80%

My jaw just hit the floor! What an inspiration! All I can think of to say is WOW! Your pictures are some of the most dramatic I have ever seen. Way to go on changing yourself! Your pictures look like completly different people. I am going to show my husband your pictures, maybe I can talk him into getting abs like yours!

Jess
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:18

BF:
Default Razzle...

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question: I walk everyday (have recently decided not to walk on Sundays) but did not miss a day walking for over 3 months... I love walking in the morning and no longer consider it a chore, I hit the gym 3 times aweek, I drink AT LEAST 3 quarts of H2O every day (not counting tea or coffee). Water, tea and coffee are the only liquids I consume.

My CCL is approx. 50 grams of carb a day. I add or delete 20 grams of carb whenever I gain or loose 2 pounds. In any given week my weight will be on target (146) 4 out of the seven days.

One very important point that I learned the hard way... it is very easy to overtrain; at 52 years of age my recovery time is much longer than it was when I was younger. Rest is just as important as any exercise you do. Most weight is lost while you sleep.

3 more pieces of advice: "DRINK YOUR WATER" , " DRINK YOUR WATER" and finally " DRINK YOUR WATER". Good Luck. Dan
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 18:05

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Way to go Dankar...

Way to go Dankar...

I've lost 98 Lbs. as of today, it's been since 11/2/2001, thats almost a pound a day! (That's for the Florida Supreme Court.)

When do I get a "Six-Pack" like that? Good job, it is truly a wonderful transformation.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 18:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/228/180
BF:
Progress: 40%
Thumbs up dankar

truly an inspiration ! At first when I looked at your stats I thought

they were a little juiced but then I saw in your profile that you

are 5'7 in tall. You lost the same amount as my goal and ... wow..

you are truly an inspiration ! I will print your post... thanks !

- Robert -

P.S. - Now its my turn !
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 18:35

Stats: 210/208/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default WOW!!

WOW!! That's all I can say! My father just turned 53 this year. He has been interested in weight training and "eating healthy" for the last 20 yrs. At his peak he won the state championships for free weights. But now that life is slowing down, he's gained quite a tummy. I will have to print out your post for him!!! Both my hubby and I are on the Atkin's Diet and loving the LC woe. Hopefully our parents will follow suit!! I'd love to see my father back in that kind of shape!!!!! Thanks for the inspiration

~ Jamie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Awesome results. That ID looks like a fake ID
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 22:24

BF:
Default Thanks for the replys...

Jimsgems: 98 pounds! AWESOME!!! Only a disciplined, dedicated and determined person could achieve what you have accomplished. More good news... THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!
To answer your question about the abs: YOU ALREADY HAVE A SIX PACK... we all do. Are you willing to pay the price to bring them out and put them on the mirror? After what you have already done I'd say you are. Stay in touch. Dan

BIG-BOBBER: Some days I can't believe it myself. You are right about it now being "Your Turn". If you stay focused you will be in awe of what a magnificent machine the human body is and how quickly it responds to even the smallest amount of care. Its "Your Turn" to find out what it feels like to wake up in the morning and hit on all 8 cylinders ALL DAY LONG! Keep us posted. Dan

CrazyCurly and vensula: Sometimes I think the people we love benefit just as much as we do when we make a positive change in our lives. Thanks for the reply. Dan

Sephy: The license is real and, sadly, so is my picture. Thanks,Dan

Last edited by dankar : Sat, Mar-09-02 at 22:32.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 00:36

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Thanks for the complement...

Dan;
I was an Olympic power lifter and ate for power! Definition was never an issue or concern. Unfortunately, I was hit and ran over by a fleeing felon about 16 years ago, ended my career in law enforcement and I've put on about 165 lbs since. Discipline plays a big part, it's a choice to be healthier and live longer perhaps, knowing full well, I can reach my goal weight and drip dead the next day. I'm not a fatalist, but I realize that life and death is a lottery, we control the things we can and the rest... well we plan. I'm also was a Special Forces Ranger (before it was cool.) with two tours in Vietnam, wounded twice when your number is up, it' up.

I'll share with you a old family aphorism... "We Plan and God Laughs!". Living without a plan is totally irresponsible for yourself and your family, so I plan to be around for a long while.

I stunned myself the other day when I was shopping at Home Depot, I picked up a 50 lb. sack of sand and was surprised just how much weight I had taken on with 165, of fat, of course there was some muscle mass but most is fat and with each pound of fat the heart has to pump blood through an additional 9 miles of blood vesicles and capillaries.

We each make decisions daily that can make a difference in our lives and in the lives of others, hopefully for the better. When I stepped on the scale and it read 398, I experienced an immediate shift in my paradigm of reality. I mean it shook me to the core. I immediately started making choices that have really impacted my life, that’s for sure.

I can remember the other times in my life when and where this happened, they are truly life changing and reaffirming, all in an instant in time. Really magical if you ask me, because our brain's basic mechanisms are normally hard to update, the type of event I’m talking about bypasses these normal channels (guard stations) and goes directly to the heart of things and changes our messages and tapes to such a degree, change then becomes possible, really possible.

Dan, you must understand exactly what I’m so desperately trying to put into words that are understandable. Sorry if I’m not communicating this concept well, it almost an emotion than anything else. Be well. Jim
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 00:53
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Dan, I hope you don't think I was trying to accuse ya of having a fake ID there. I was just noticing how different both pictures looked, doesn't even look like the same person.
  #16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 05:08

BF:
Default Jimsgems and Sephy...

Jim, I understood every word. I don't think there are many of us here on this board that have decided to try a new WOL (way of life) made that decision because we were on a winning streak. If everything in our lives was fine... why change? Its the PAIN we obey.
As for your thoughts on the choices we make in life, Amen brother, I couldn't agree more. I'm in your corner and rooting for you. Dan

Sephy, No problem. Even if you were accusing me of being dishonest that would be OK. I know the truth and thats whats important. One thing we must do to sucessfully change our lives is stop trying to please others and start listening to ourselves. Good luck on your LC journey. We will hook up again later down the road. Dan

Last edited by dankar : Sun, Mar-10-02 at 11:14.
Sponsored Links