Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#151   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Bear and others feel veggies are poisonous. So what? It's true IMO. Polyunsaturated and trans fats are terrible, many plants have natural toxins that have been bred out by modern agriculture. Many legumes are poisonous such as peanuts and wheat and soybean allergies are quite common. Just because they don't make you sick doesn't mean that they're not poisonous.

If you want to eat them, be my guest, but they don't deserve sanctimonious stature in my book.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 16:45

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob21370
Bear and others feel veggies are poisonous. So what? It's true IMO.

Great! So you get to call vegetables poisonous, and other people get to call an all meat diet unhealthy. Naw, would never work. Makes too much sense, and besides, it wouldn't be fun.
  #153   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
Great! So you get to call vegetables poisonous, and other people get to call an all meat diet unhealthy. Naw, would never work. Makes too much sense, and besides, it wouldn't be fun.

Dude, you're missing the point. It's been agreed upon by several different sources than an all-meat diet is perfectly healthy and I've NEVER heard of someone having a meat allergy. Send me a link to just one person who went into anaphylactic shock eating a rib-eye.

You can't make that claim straight out about many legumes, starches and veggies. There's a whole host of food allergies and poisons specifically attributed to vegetable matter. That's not even including the scratching of your gut caused by fiber in the diet.

Last edited by Rob21370 : Thu, May-18-06 at 17:10.
  #154   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 17:17

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

[QUOTE=kwikdriver]
And there is such a thing as a meat allergy.
[QUOTE]

Totally agreed on this. One of my best friends has severe meat allergies, and has been hospitalized 3 times for accidentally eating some in a restaurant dish not properly labeled.
  #155   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 17:35
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=LukeA][QUOTE=kwikdriver]
Quote:

Totally agreed on this. One of my best friends has severe meat allergies, and has been hospitalized 3 times for accidentally eating some in a restaurant dish not properly labeled.

Takes all kinds to fill the world.

I think Meat is a poison with which I can live-- but them poisonous veggies have got to go!

ALOHA!
  #156   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Hein
Inferiority was not what I was thinking of, and is probably why the original quote didn't come out correctly. My point was that people cannot MAKE us feel on thing or another. We ALLOW ourselves to respond to their comments.

Didn't you write yesterday how my personal opinion of some M&E dieters could make others feel demotivated and "slapped in the face"?
This strikes me as hypocracy...
  #157   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 18:30

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Didn't you write yesterday how my personal opinion of some M&E dieters could make others feel demotivated and "slapped in the face"?
This strikes me as hypocracy...

Ah Woo, you nearly got it! But it isn't about hypocrisy. It's about victimization and the virtuous feeling that comes from being too strong to be victimized. Some truly gifted people are able to hold both these feelings at the same time, which is an amazing talent. The word "hypocrisy" doesn't do that talent justice.
  #158   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 18:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver

Depending on how you define meat (I choose to define it as a non-vegetation protein source), shellfish allergies are quite common; my best friend has had anaphylactic reactions to several kinds of shellfish and at least one type of finfish. Must be shellfish and finfish are toxic as well.
BTW...when a person has a food allergy, guess what it is that causes the allergic reaction? It's....ahem....a protein. Wonder if that makes all protein toxic?
My point is that you can find people with allergies to practically anything so using the fact that some may have an allergy as evidence that a food is unhealthy is a bit extreme, especially considering that what an allergy really is amounts to your immune system overreacting to a basically harmless substance so it becomes an abnormal response to a normal and usually harmless substance. Using an abnormal response to determine what should be normal is a bit backwards, IMO.
  #159   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 19:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This thread is closed for 24 hours due to several inflammatory/personal remarks (deleted) by some members (from both sides of the argument).

When it's opened, we hope that members will stick to debating the issues, and not resort to personal attacks. Any attempts to spoil this thread with personal attacks will result in suspension. Previously warned members will be suspended permanently.
  #160   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 06:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

We've decided not to open this thread as all points have been covered. However:

1. Active Low-Carber Forum does not take direction or promote any specific LC plan, as long as it is a published, non proprietary Low Carb plan.

2. The "prominence" of a thread or a plan is a function of the activity of that thread or plan, as well as interest and curiosity from members and guest readers.

3. If you have any NEW arguments as to the dangers of veggies or meat, you're welcome to start a new thread to debate them, as long as you do not resort to personal attacks. Personal attacks will get your post removed, and your account suspended.

4. If you do not wish to view any such heated debates, you have the option of not reading the War Zone forum.
Closed Thread