Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Umm...where are you going to get seed and starter for your cheese and yogurt?

I used to make my own cottage cheese from raw milk: leave unpasturized raw milk for 24 hours on the counter or longer, depending how hot or cold in the tempetature, if you want, put a slice of bread in it (to speed things up), and let the air bacteria and natural enzymes presented in raw milk do the rest. You will have perfect, yougurt like, dairy product, rich and thick. Heat a bit on a water bath and strain, and you have the best tasting cottage cheese and a bunch of whey, which can be used in absense of salt to make fermented vegetables . I am sure you are aware that raw milk protein is the easiest to digest protein, and milk and cottage cheese are used by body builders to build lean muscles.

Quote:
Hmm....roasted squirrel, venison and turkey, fish (perch, bass, trout, salmon, pike, catfish, bluegill, splake), rabbit. Then in the summer months, we get wild blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, asparagus. In my general area, there are apple, pear and peach trees (although I have no doubt the orchards would be pretty heavily hit) as well as wild black walnut, beechnut, acorn and hickory nut trees (less people are aware of those), so eating in the fall would be pretty good but the eating of fruits and veggies would be quite seasonal. Better dust off my pemmican recipe for those leaner months.
Facts are, people can survive and do well a lot longer on a steady supply of protein and fat than they can on a steady supply of fruits and veggies so I suspect that eventually, you'll be looking for some critters of your own to eat.

Well, then I will try to get the same critters you mentioned: wild turkey, game birds, deers, wild geese and ducks, and I am not mentioning fish and seafood(salmon, tuna, cod, halibut, shrimp, shell fish, etc), that are in abondance in Northern California. But let's hope this never happens. Nuts and seeds come with their own fat and supply enough protein to survive.
Let's just hope that this will never happened in real life. We drifted away from the ...case of rice.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 14:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
Do you need a test to have good reason to believe you are gluten intolerant? Wyv

I believe you do. Gluten intolerance can also mimic glucose intolerance symptoms, and other digestive issues. Treu gluten intolerance, aka as celiac desease is Dx by blood test (for malabsorbtion and maltutriotion) and by presence of antibodies.
http://www.labtestsonline.org/under...sease/test.html
If one feels better avoiding starches and sugars, it does not mean gluten intolerance. Certain food eaten in inproper combination can cause bloating and indigestion, which does not automatically means gluten intolerance.
  #138   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 15:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Do you need a test to have good reason to believe you are gluten intolerant? Wyv

My symptoms of gluten intolerance were very, very crampy bowels and frequent stools. What I always called "IBS". Within two days of getting off gluten that resolved. I've noticed since then that when I get glutened I also get fatigue and brain fog.

Traditional doctors can't detect gluten intolerance until you're extremely ill at the point you can't absorb nutrients from your food properly. Some people never get to that stage. Some have no intestinal problems at all, but end up with brain lesions and neurological problems like gait problems or speech disorders. Its affects people so differently than what most doctor's were trained to recognize as gluten intolerance that they're untrained to really recognize it.

enterolab.com has a good gluten test.
  #139   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 15:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Yes malabsorption is more than just not absorbing calories. Gluten intolerance can cause seriously messed up GI tract's critter population and trigger autoimmune conditions. Bugs play a big role in metabolism.

Sorry Woo but gluten intolerance has nothing to do with bug population. Gluten causes intestinal inflamation that damages inetstinal villies, reponsible for absorbtion of nuttrients.
Bacteria overgrowth can arise from many digestive conditions, including low stomach acicity, Rx drugs, including antibiotics, and even combining wrond food in one meal, causing fermentation. Most ppl who found their digestive problem dissappear following Atkins or any LC diet, automatically assumed they are gluten intolerant. But there is also possibility that prior to LC, they consumed copious amount of sugar in form of sweets, icecream, candies, and soft drinks; junk and processed food, which alone can cause indigestion, gas, GI inflamation, and as a result, harmfull bacteria overgrowth. Too much insoluble fiber from vegetables can cause digestive troubles too.
Actualy, rice is known for it's ability to calm stomach and colon inflamation, especially made into long slowly cooked porridge: a small amount of rice+lots of water, may be 1:10. It's used to calm IBS as a home remedy, and for any digestive issue, except only constipation.
  #140   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 12:54
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was on a macrobiotic diet for over a year, mostly vegetarian based on brown rice, beans and vegetables. I ate very little wheat yet still suffered from excessive flatulence, diarrhea and indigestion (I also was hungry all the time and gained weight on it).

Since I've gone low-carb, I can eat small amounts of rice or soy in a meal that is mostly fat and protein without a problem but even tiny amounts of wheat knocks my system out of whack for a couple days. I don't need a test to tell me to avoid eating gluten.

Wyv