Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 290/192/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Dr. Peter Attia and his Keto Enhancers (Hacks)

I've been investigating performance enhancing ketogenic supplements recently and have come across a few of interest.

First is this one; Dr. Attia seems pretty sold on it:

http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and...erstarch-part-i

The other are Ketone Esters (Synthesized Ketones) Such as:

KetoForce: http://prototypenutrition.com/ketoforce.html

and

http://pruvitnow.com/

Dr. Attia addressed these Ketone Esters in this post: http://eatingacademy.com/personal/e...ogenous-ketones

These don't seem to be for the average Ketogenic "dieter", they seem more like high octane "hacks" for ketogenic athletes looking for the equivalent of keto "doping".

If this stuff works, I'm very interested.

I tried the pruvitnow keto os http://pruvitnow.com/, and it very quickly blasted my ketone levels significantly higher. I was out of blood testing strips, so I had to use the "pee" sticks, but I went from a light pink to almost the darkest purple on the chart within an hour.

Although, a potential thought about this was "so what", just because I've artificially pumped ketones into my body are there BENEFITS of this?

I'd love to get a discussion started. Keto OS is experiencing exponential sales growth (from what they say), they have had to limit daily sales to $100,000 a day, and they only began selling it less than a month ago! (I was told)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 23:48

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I believe there is a potential benefit besides the immediate blood ketones boost. I have to explain my paradigm to illustrate this potential benefit.

It starts in the liver where ketones are produced, then dumped in the bloodstream. This is regulated by insulin. It works in steps, with step 1 inhibition of ketogenesis, step 2 inhibition of glycogenolysis, step 3 degradation of insulin. While these steps are regulated by insulin, the liver response to this insulin is regulated by blood ketones so that the more ketones the stronger the inhibition of ketogenesis and glycogenolysis, and the more insulin gets degraded by the liver. It's a negative feedback loop primarily regulated by blood ketone level.

I developed my paradigm based on several things. Most pertinent here was an experiment where they injected ketones in the blood, the effect was of course a boost of blood ketones, but also a drop of both blood glucose and insulin, and this is the potential benefit I'm talking about. Based on my paradigm, if you see a boost in blood ketones when you just eat/drink the ketones, then it should also come with a drop of both blood glucose and insulin. But to be sure we'd have to actually measure that. Anyways, if it's true, then it could serve to speed up ketosis adaptation for low-carb induction or even therapeutic applications like cancer or Alzheimer's for example. Obviously, we shouldn't add sugar/carbs to that stuff or the benefit gets cancelled out, right?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 09:33
Registered Member

BF:

I agree that it seems this could help people speed up keto-adaption by alleviating some of the "ketogenic flu" many people experience in the initial stages. Or it could be useful in medical treatment's, as you stated.

I also see the (potential) benefits of workout/sports enhancement. Dr. Attia's testing has already shown that these ketone esters reduce oxygen consumption. One commentator on one of the ester developers (Ketoforce) blog stated he "no longer felt the need to breath when he took these!" (maybe some hyperbole) Link to the blog below:

http://patrickarnoldblog.com/instant-ketosis/ (I just order some Ketoforce, I've already tried Keto OS)

Ok, too good to be true? No work involved, just drink a shake and BAM, you are in nutritional ketosis??? Seems suspect. If you are not Keto-adapted, maybe you are just peeing these ketones out, and your body isn't using them?

Also, another concern is with weight loss. If you pump auxiliary fuel (ketones) into your body, is it possible you have stopped burning fat?(creating ketones naturally). So yes, you are getting SOME of the benefits of ketones, but burning fat may be reduced. Your body sees you have plenty of ketones, so it has no need to burn fat and produce any more of them.

I'm only trying to create a balanced picture of what the ketone esters pros and cons might be.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 10:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I think the pending studies of exogenous ketones should prove to be quite illuminating. How can they be used is the question and what health implications, positive and negative, they have is the real question. With Attia involved along with Volek and D'Agostino, you have the potential for a transparent, no BS assessment. Until then, I'm going to rely on producing my own endogenous ketones and wait for the research. There are many who are looking at adding ketones for athletic performance enhancements, and while I might have been one of those at one point in my life, my primary goal is to stay healthy. Adding any substance above and beyond what the body can produce must be done in an informed and controlled manner and for the right reasons.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 12:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmktwzrd
Dr. Attia's testing has already shown that these ketone esters reduce oxygen consumption.

Eeeeehhh. Be careful here. Attia says some things from time to time to get people excited. A keto diet DOES change the ROQ and that was what the blog post "misunderstood state" was about. Yes, about 4000 words to say, "We know the H/C ratio of the food we eat changes when going keto." I do not think he found a VO2max change. If he had then every endurance athlete and the USOC would be all over it as VO2max is usually the limiter in endurance sports.

I do agree with using exogenous ketos as a performance enhancer similar to gu energy packs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 14:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmktwzrd
I agree that it seems this could help people speed up keto-adaption by alleviating some of the "ketogenic flu" many people experience in the initial stages. Or it could be useful in medical treatment's, as you stated.

I also see the (potential) benefits of workout/sports enhancement. Dr. Attia's testing has already shown that these ketone esters reduce oxygen consumption. One commentator on one of the ester developers (Ketoforce) blog stated he "no longer felt the need to breath when he took these!" (maybe some hyperbole) Link to the blog below:

http://patrickarnoldblog.com/instant-ketosis/ (I just order some Ketoforce, I've already tried Keto OS)

Ok, too good to be true? No work involved, just drink a shake and BAM, you are in nutritional ketosis??? Seems suspect. If you are not Keto-adapted, maybe you are just peeing these ketones out, and your body isn't using them?

Also, another concern is with weight loss. If you pump auxiliary fuel (ketones) into your body, is it possible you have stopped burning fat?(creating ketones naturally). So yes, you are getting SOME of the benefits of ketones, but burning fat may be reduced. Your body sees you have plenty of ketones, so it has no need to burn fat and produce any more of them.

I'm only trying to create a balanced picture of what the ketone esters pros and cons might be.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts...

If ingesting ketones has the same effect on insulin as injecting them, then you should see insulin drop, with a corresponding effect on fat tissue. It should release more fat, not less.

Focus on burning fat in the context of weight loss gets confusing cuz we're still thinking about classic CICO, i.e. exercise more eat less. Instead, think about insulin and fat tissue. When insulin drops, fat tissue shrinks. Does it matter if we burn this fat afterwards? Look at low-carb, it provides more fat, yet produces the best weight loss. Why? Because low-carb removes the disruptor - carbs - which then drops insulin, with a corresponding effect on fat tissue. It's not about burning fat, it's about releasing it from fat tissue.

The only con I see with ketones is it tastes awful. I haven't tried but that's what I read.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 15:22
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
If ingesting ketones has the same effect on insulin as injecting them, then you should see insulin drop, with a corresponding effect on fat tissue. It should release more fat, not less.

Focus on burning fat in the context of weight loss gets confusing cuz we're still thinking about classic CICO, i.e. exercise more eat less. Instead, think about insulin and fat tissue. When insulin drops, fat tissue shrinks. Does it matter if we burn this fat afterwards? Look at low-carb, it provides more fat, yet produces the best weight loss. Why? Because low-carb removes the disruptor - carbs - which then drops insulin, with a corresponding effect on fat tissue. It's not about burning fat, it's about releasing it from fat tissue.

The only con I see with ketones is it tastes awful. I haven't tried but that's what I read.

Makes complete sense, I failed to consider the previous results from injected ketones.

Then in some ways this is like a potential "miracle supplement."

1. Potentially eases transition into a ketogenic state
2. Possibly drops insulin lower than diet alone (which brings many benefits including accelerated fat loss)
3. All the neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory properties of ketones
4. Potential athletic enhancement
5. All the other benefits that ketones bring. (IE disease therapy such as cancer)

Of course, we learn (usually the hard way) that these "short cuts" typically come with costs (side effects/dangers). I agree this will be an intriguing area of study in the ketogenic community.

I don't tend towards dramatics or hyperbole, but it seems this has the potential to be a game-changer.

As far as the taste, the Keto OS tastes fine. It is in a powdered form sweetened with stevia (I'd prefer no sweetener), and you mix with water and blend. The only thing I've noticed is a bit of stomach upset, but it fades after an hour or so.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-15, 19:59

Plan: General
Stats: 220/200/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Question

Bumping this to ask a question. Are there less expensive versions of ketoforce/pruvitnow? Are there other alternatives that help promote ketosis on a similar level such as C-8 Bulletproof MCT Oil?

Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-15, 08:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

MCT oil won't approach fasting or a ketogenic diet. And might not do much for somebody who is on a sufficiently ketogenic program--MCT's claim to fame is that it's ketogenic to some degree despite carbohydrate intake. A 0.5 mmol increase in ketones from MCT's might be clinically significant and protective vs. hypoglycemia to some degree for a person on a non-ketogenic diet, where a person with ketones at 1.5 or two might not expect much of a benefit from that much of a bump. I'm not sure they'd get the bump anyways, the mct's might just displace the production of ketones from long-chain fatty acids that would have been going on anyways.

I don't know about performance--but some of the health benefits from beta-hydroxybutyrate or acetoacetate seem to be similar to benefits from short-chain fatty acids like butyric or acetic acid. So there's a plausible role of vinegar or fermentable fibers, fermented foods.

My bias is towards achieving ketosis naturally, through diet, that could include coconut. A ketogenic diet plus some supplemental ketones would at least make sure that certain adaptations that are normally in place when ketones are elevated are in place. Using exogenous ketones to allow the diet itself to be less ketogenic makes me a little nervous, it's sort of uncharted territory. I would probably do it, say if I had a disease that had a high probability of being responsive to ketosis, but some sort of metabolic block in actually achieving ketosis. Or maybe if the diet that I had to eat to maintain ketosis was so extreme that nutritional deficiencies became likely.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-15, 08:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Anyways, if it's true, then it could serve to speed up ketosis adaptation for low-carb induction or even therapeutic applications like cancer or Alzheimer's for example.

Dr. Colin Champ went on a bit of rant on the podcast last year about the wildly unsubstantiated claims on the web about the use of exogenous ketones for therapeutic use and selling empty promises. There are no studies (yet*) that show any benefit of ketones without the lowering of blood sugar and insulin through diet. That is more likely the benefit, not from having more ketones.

He wrote about it in this article: The Ketogenic Diet and Cancer: Where We Stand

http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/breakthroughs/856

teaser: Using exogenous ketones to allow the diet itself to be less ketogenic makes me a little nervous, As it should...buying magic ketones might make the diet less effective against cancer.

The athletes can play with any jet fuel and steroids if they want...just don't make unjustified claims for health benefits.

* one in mice showed potential, a long way from human cancer patients having benefit. https://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/blog/20...y568kh.facebook

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-19-15 at 07:32.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-15, 09:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

As a general rule, adding exogenic items to the body discourages the body from making them.

This is seen most dramatically in alcohol and drug addiction, where long-time users have almost no endorphin or dopamine production without the drugs, and withdrawal is sheer brain torment until that production gets back on the proper schedule. So telling an addict to "gut it out" without support such as methadone is doomed to failure.

But it's also a major caution in hormone therapy, where steroid drugs suppress natural production, leading to actual shrinkage of the glands which are supposed to produce the hormones.

So I can see this as far less problematic in short-term uses like the "low carb flu" or in the fourth hour of a marathon than I can as a long term supplement... unless someone has trouble making their own ketones, and then, the risk of side effects would go down.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 08:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This isn't about intentionally raising ketones for its own sake, but seems at home on this thread;

Quote:
New diet provides hope for treating patients with drug resistant epilepsy

Scientists from Royal Holloway, University of London and UCL have identified how a specific diet can be used to help treat patients with uncontrolled epilepsy.

The findings, which reveal how the ketogenic diet acts to block seizures in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy, are published in the journal Brain.

Epilepsy affects over 50 million people worldwide and approximately a third of people diagnosed with epilepsy do not have seizures adequately controlled by current treatments.

The research team have identified a specific fatty acid, decanoic acid, provided in the MCT (medium chain triglyceride, a chemical containing three fatty acids) ketogenic diet that has potent anti-epileptic effects. The diet comprises of high levels of fat and low levels of carbohydrate-containing foods.

"By examining the fats provided in the diet, we have identified a specific fatty acid that outperforms drugs currently used for controlling seizures, and that may have fewer side effects," said Professor Robin Williams from the Centre for Biomedical Sciences at the School of Biological Sciences at Royal Holloway.

"This discovery will enable us to develop improved formulations that are now likely to significantly improve the treatment of epilepsy. It will offer a whole new approach to the management of epilepsies in children and adults," added Professor Matthew Walker from UCL's Institute of Neurology.

"Finding that the therapeutic mechanism of the diet is likely to be through the fat, rather than widely accepted by generation of ketones, may enable us to develop improved diets, and suggests we should re-name the diet simply 'the MCT diet'" said Professor Williams.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...51125083815.htm

First off--the paper itself acknowledges that there are causes of epilepsy, such as Glut 1 deficiency, where ketones are the likely protective factor. These guys are just chasing down reasons why MCT oil seems to be protective, even when ketones aren't all that high. And what they've shown is that this is effective in a model of epileptic seizures, not in living human beings, yet. The fatty acid in question is highly ketogenic--so unless they modify it to keep it from increasing ketones, I don't know how they'll know for certain that increased efficacy isn't at least partly due to ketones.

I've seen valproic acid described as a decanoic acid analog, so maybe what they'll have is just a more effective replacement for that.

A lot of the kids put on a ketogenic diet are put on it because conventional medicines like valproic acid failed.

This all brings something else up--even when ketones are high, by most of the usual approaches to ketosis, ketones aren't all that's been elevated.

One possible factor is that medium chain triglycerides and short chain triglycerides can cross the brain barrier. Unlike long chain triglycerides, these fatty acids don't need the carnitine transport system to enter mitochondria for beta oxidation. Giving medium chains the potential to support brain metabolism, beyond the production of ketones.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 10:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This is seen most dramatically in alcohol and drug addiction, where long-time users have almost no endorphin or dopamine production without the drugs, and withdrawal is sheer brain torment until that production gets back on the proper schedule. So telling an addict to "gut it out" without support such as methadone is doomed to failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 20:56
Registered Member

BF:

The grandfather of ketones Dr. Richard Veech is seriously negative on exogenous ketones salts. His comments were disputed by Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, but due to Dr. D'Agostinos association with Pruvit - Keto//OS I am concerned he is not as objective as he might otherwise be. Thoughts on the Veech podcast (link here):

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/20...e-ketone-salts/
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 22:45
Registered Member

BF:

Dr. Peter Attia and Dom D'Agostino talking for 2 1/2 hours with lots of reference to exogenous ketones. When, Where and the right kind. One of the top 5 pieces I've ever seen produced on Ketosis, a MUST watch (listen/podcast).

https://peterattiamd.com/domdagostino/

Last edited by zmktwzrd : Mon, Jul-16-18 at 22:54.