Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 09:48

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Copper toxicity related to insuline resistence

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/c...ty_syndrome.htm

So my ND yesterday gave me the result of my heavy metal sample and sure enough as we expected my levels of copper is over the roof.

In the article above , it explains how a vegetarian diet strips people of zinc and makes for a copper dominant state. The copper also causes among other things insuline resistence .

He recommends doing a high protein moderate fat and low carb diet similar to what my research has indicated.

This is just my hunch that low carb corrects this imbalance between copper and zinc and balances autoimmune problems and thats one of the benefits of it.

I am almost wanting to be non vegetarian now there is so much evidence. I have all the problems low b12, low zinc , high copper. Infact all grains and beans have excess copper. there is no way I can eliminate all these being a vegetarian.

If I do become a non vegetarians there are dire social consequences ahead of me. My family will never come visit me and my in laws will not come visit either they are very religious. I will become a total outcast. Hmmmmm...

Last edited by chandbaby1 : Thu, Jun-26-08 at 09:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yikes... I am glad my family is pretty unreligious. We had one brother marry a woman with some pretty unusual religious things going on, but after awhile they escaped from that.

I don't envy your position at all. I would feel very trapped in that situation. I suppose if it were me, I'd be clandestine about it. What would your husband do?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:01
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've been taking a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement for 3 years. Having balanced electrolytes is very important.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:03

BF:

My husband is very supportive.I hope he agrees to be calandistine about it.
I have never had any meat in my entire life. Meat doesnt look apetizing to me but anything if I will be healthy.Who knows may be i will even like it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Except for one rare medical condition, copper in excess of what is needed by the body (5 - 10 mg per day) is eliminated. Acute poisoning with large amounts can occur, usually with severe diarrhea, even death. It is a critical micronutrient and I do believe that the zinc to copper ratio is important but I found most "interesting" a few quotes from the article you linked.

"Many people, including the author, felt they were becoming more spiritual on a vegetarian diet, when in fact it was just copper poisoning!"

"Homosexuality may be related to copper levels."

"Part of the appeal of cocaine, Ritalin and amphetamines may be their ability to help lower copper temporarily by stimulating the adrenals."

"Cadmium found in marijuana and cigarettes drives copper back into storage. These drugs may make one feel better by affecting the copper balance."

[Well crap I lost my post or most of it.] I can't directly refute these statements but they are way over the top IMHO... My sister in law is T1 diabetic and vegetarian. I think it makes it difficult for her but I suppose there are many successful diabetics that maintain a vegetarian lifestyle. She is vegetarian not because of religion or family - she just hates meat or the thought of eating it. I wish you well with your decision...

/smile

Last edited by Korban : Thu, Jun-26-08 at 10:14.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:08
Dazed and Confused

BF:

That must be a very difficult position. Most vegetarians in the United States have eaten meat in the past and often embrace it as a fad or a ecological statement.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wilson's disease... yup. it is real.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson%27s_disease
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wilson's disease... yup. it is real.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson%27s_disease
Yes it is...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:18
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
[Well crap I lost my post or most of it.] I can't directly refute these statements but they are way over the top IMHO... My sister in law is T1 diabetic and vegetarian. I think it makes it difficult for her but I suppose there are many successful diabetics that maintain a vegetarian lifestyle. She is vegetarian not because of religion or family - she just hates meat or the thought of eating it. I wish you well with your decision...

/smile

How odd. I'm a type 1 and also not a big fan of meat. It takes a lot of exercise to balance type 1 and high carbs. As you age, your body just can't keep doing it at high intensity levels for long periods.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:21

BF:

Although I try not to get influenced by everything on the internet, there are things I have tried which has worked in my favour. I dont believe everything they say in that article. It becomes so difficult to separate opinions from fact when articles cover one side of the story. But I honestly try. But I think these are facts.

1)Copper is in high concentration in grains , seeds and nuts.
2)Zinc is in high concentration in meat and especially red meat.
3)Copper is antagonistic to zinc.So excess of one depletes the other.
4) Excess copper has some problems.

The rest I think are opinions and I ignore them.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 10:35

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/c...ty_syndrome.htm

So my ND yesterday gave me the result of my heavy metal sample and sure enough as we expected my levels of copper is over the roof.

In the article above , it explains how a vegetarian diet strips people of zinc and makes for a copper dominant state. The copper also causes among other things insuline resistence .

He recommends doing a high protein moderate fat and low carb diet similar to what my research has indicated.

This is just my hunch that low carb corrects this imbalance between copper and zinc and balances autoimmune problems and thats one of the benefits of it.

I am almost wanting to be non vegetarian now there is so much evidence. I have all the problems low b12, low zinc , high copper. Infact all grains and beans have excess copper. there is no way I can eliminate all these being a vegetarian.

If I do become a non vegetarians there are dire social consequences ahead of me. My family will never come visit me and my in laws will not come visit either they are very religious. I will become a total outcast. Hmmmmm...

Do what gives you health.

If I had family that held that principle against me... I would consider them selfish. And I'd deal with them on an individual basis. I doubt they'd all turn against you.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 06:50

BF:

If any of you have been following this.
I would like to add that excess copper can be removed using turmeric and cilanthro and any sulphur rich food like onion ,garlic.
I wonder if this is the aspect which helps when people say garlic will help cholesterol profile.