Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks Bonnie and Sunny! I'm going Grocery shopping tonight. So I'll check the Superstore and Bulk Barn again and if they don't have these items I'll request them! It's nice to have some conveinence foods! Do you eat your pork rinds as a snack or in recipes? And how does the xanthum gum thicken. I'm trying to make a traditional Newfie dish, "Cod au gratin" low carb and it calls for flour to thicken the white sauce.

Sonny, where in Western Newfoundland are you from? I'm from Englee, near Roddickton, near St. Anthony. Maybe someday we can have a Low Carb COnvention in The Atlantic. I'd go in a heartbeat!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking RE: Pork Rinds and Other Things!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxeylady
Thanks Bonnie and Sunny! I'm going Grocery shopping tonight. So I'll check the Superstore and Bulk Barn again and if they don't have these items I'll request them! It's nice to have some conveinence foods! Do you eat your pork rinds as a snack or in recipes? And how does the xanthum gum thicken. I'm trying to make a traditional Newfie dish, "Cod au gratin" low carb and it calls for flour to thicken the white sauce.

Maybe someday we can have a Low Carb COnvention in The Atlantic. I'd go in a heartbeat!

Foxeylady...I personally do not like pork rinds but hubby enjoys them...he uses them as a dip for salsa...we usually spend the winters in Florida (expect to head south the end of the month)and while there pick up microwave pork rinds made by Lowry's...a suggestion for the white sauce..here is the recipe I use :
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pe-sauce08.html

the alfredo sauce recipe is quite good too...I suspect Vesey's Seed Catalogue is something your are quite familiar with...personally love to garden and have built up quite a perennial garden on a hillside in my back yard over the last 10 years...now am into hardy roses and especially love the Morden series...(Mordon Fireglow and Centennial ) and Winnipeg Parks a few of my fav's ...have about 15 varieties of hardy roses and was actually successful in propagating some by leaf cutting/root hormone last summer...anyway off on a tangant here...I have not used Xanthan Gum much ...first time I used it was very gummy but I think read a thread here about how to mix it...will look for it and link...B

Last edited by Bonnie : Thu, Jan-16-03 at 15:20.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:25

BF:
Default Xanthan Gum

Here is a link to a thread dealing with thickeners and the gum is one of the topics discussed...B

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=Xanthan+Gum
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/210/140
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Foxeylady

I would go to low carb atlantic meeting, sounds like fun
Im from Port au Port close to stephenville..
I was there over xmas, at my parents...was alot of fun
but always good to be home again...

Edwina
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:45
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Bonnie for the thickening info. I'll give them a try. Actually I work at Veseys. I look after the flower end of things. I help with the catlaogues and the field trials and answer questions. Its great. I'm trying to convert everyone here to giving up sugar. NO luck so far, but I get lots of questions, so I have to know what i'm talking about! It really pains me to hear people trying to eat low fat, but piling on the sugar. Anyway , its been great hearing from you guys. Hope you have a great winter down south!
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:50
Registered Member

BF:

And Sunny, I went to College with some people from Port au Port, or they may been from a place on the peninsula. Is there a place called Three Rock something? I think their names were (not that you would know them!) Kathy Benoit, and her friend Miranda, but I can't remember her last name. I spent 2 weeks last summer at home. It was wonderful! But, man alive they eat no veggies and the ones they eat are potatoes and carrots. Man alive! Salad in Newfoundland means Potato salad! We ate lots of fish, and moose, etc so that was good. Take care!
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:54

BF:
Default RE: LC

Quote:
Thanks Bonnie for the thickening info. I'll give them a try. Actually I work at Veseys. I look after the flower end of things. I help with the catlaogues and the field trials and answer questions. Its great. I'm trying to convert everyone here to giving up sugar. NO luck so far, but I get lots of questions, so I have to know what i'm talking about! It really pains me to hear people trying to eat low fat, but piling on the sugar. Anyway , its been great hearing from you guys. Hope you have a great winter down south!

Figured you might work at Veseys what a great job..am envious have you ever heard of a hardy hibiscus that might grow in our area...have heard of a few but have never been able to track them down ...hubby and I both have been LC since Dec' 99 and find the best way to convert folks to LC is by example ...B
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Stats: 226/210/140
BF:
Progress: 19%
Talking Foxeylady

Yep...three rock cove and I dont know Kathy Benoit, eventhough Benoit is a popular last name from the peninsula.

Im coming to PEI in April, hopefully My dh is in the navy and is posted in the gulf right now, expected to be home mid april (praying) we arre going to take a few days and go to PEI, for our getting to know each other again period afte 8 months of deployment....

Talk soon
Edwina
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:37

Stats: 183/168.5/150
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question

Hi, I am from the Valley, N.S. and I agree that low carb products are hard to find...I was able to find the Atkins advantage bars though.....So nice to see so many maritimers here....How to I start a buddy list and add you all to It? I just joined this site, really like it!

Take care everyone

Cathy
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 15:44

BF:
Default Hi Cathy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lowcarbcat
Hi, I am from the Valley, N.S. and I agree that low carb products are hard to find...I was able to find the Atkins advantage bars though.....So nice to see so many maritimers here....How to I start a buddy list and add you all to It? I just joined this site, really like it!

Take care everyone

Cathy

Welcome Cathy...you will find lots of helpful info here to help you on you LC Journey and yep is nice to see so many down home folks here on the forum ...B
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Bonnie, I' ve heard of a hardy hIbiscus, but I relaly don't think that it's the popular tropical houseplant type. They may be referring to "Rose of Sharon" or The Common ROse Mallow which is hardy to zone 5. I'll let you know if I hear about a tropical hardy type.

Hi Edwina, Have fun on your trip to PE in April. My brother was stationed in the middle east for 6 months and he just got back last week. He lives in Greenwood and has two little girls. These deployments sure are tough on a marriage.

We have a GNC-General Nutrition center opening here in Charlottetown. Does nay one know if they carry low carb products that I might be interested in.

Thanks everyone, stay in touch!
Lois
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:13

BF:
Default Hi Foxeylady

Quote:
Hi Bonnie, I' ve heard of a hardy hIbiscus, but I relaly don't think that it's the popular tropical houseplant type. They may be referring to "Rose of Sharon" or The Common ROse Mallow which is hardy to zone 5. I'll let you know if I hear about a tropical hardy type.

We have a GNC-General Nutrition center opening here in Charlottetown. Does nay one know if they carry low carb products that I might be interested in.

Thanks everyone, stay in touch!
Lois

Lois...am familiar with the Rose of Sharon and the common rose mallow but have heard there are now varieties established that are hardy to our climate...will have to just keep searching but thanks for the info...there is a GNC where I winter in Florida ... they do carry several Atkins products but whether this store follows suit who knows ...B
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 06:27

Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hello everyone!

Good to see so many from Atlantic Canada.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:01

BF:
Default Hi Bruce!

Quote:
Originally posted by ColbyJax
Hello everyone!

Good to see so many from Atlantic Canada.

How's the weather down your way!..hubby just headed out on icy roads to Tormentine where he is doing some consulting work for the bridge...hope you are informing your significant other that you have admirers literally from around the world ...B
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:07

Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hehe.. weather is standard. Cold and depressing.

And on the other comment... she's a keeper. She knows she's the only one for me