Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 12:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 360/140/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Somebody smack me!

Well not really lol

I do smoke..about a pack a day..I quit back in 96 and was smoke free for 5 years..5 stinkin years..and then my dad became terminally ill and the stress of that, and dealing with a crappy marriage (was long distance because I was hospicing my father) got me so stressed that I started smoking again and still have not quit.

I gave up food..well didnt "give" it up..but gave up the bad stuff..and now I cannot break this damn addiction.

Being a formerly Morbidly obese person..I tend to switch from one addiction to another..and smoking has to go!

My boyfriend doesnt like it..so it's good because I cannot smoke indoors anymore..does that keep me from doing it? nope lol

I've tried the patch, the inhaler, the gum, the lozenge, hypnosis, acupuncture, wristbands that I could "snap" myself with ..you name it..

I dont if i've reached that point though where I REALLY want to quit..it's a vice..and I use any ol' reason to keep doing it..I'm perfectly aware of how my behavior gets in the way of my quitting..it's all My fault lol

I just hope that I can find the strength to stop..I lost 220 pounds so I could live a healthier longer life..but i'm still exhibiting self defeating beahvior..UGH!

Makes me nuts! lol

Ok..hadda vent..hopefully one of these days i'll get it right..and quit like I did before..which was cold turkey back then! Go figger! lol

AH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 08:32

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

how about a virtual knock on the noggin??

Another forum member quit at the beginning of July with something called Stop Smoking (I think it's herbal stuff she bought in the US). Anyway, she's called Jeanyyy on the forum -- why not ask her for the name/website with info??? Can't hurt!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/member.php?u=22981

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/233/180 Male 71 inches
BF:35/xx/22
Progress: 22%
Default You can do it AH38

Here are a couple links that may help.

Education Ruins Smoking!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/76750

Educate yourself at Bob's Place (http://www.roofchek.com/quitsmoking/) and at
http://whyquit.com/joel/

Jerry
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 17:27

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

AH, I am with you! But if you could do the weight, you can do the quitting smoking! Hallo from a Wolferine!

I didn't smoke when everyone found it chique in High school, when I was overweight, but then started, and lost weight - I think for me the order is reversed, I felt better smoking because it made me thin! I then still smoking left Europe, went to US, managed to gain quite some weight, but quit, had babies, and unfortunately restarted. Nearly 5 years ago I quit for good, gaining a solid 20-25 lbs. I only lost them - and more - in the last 9 months low carbing on South Beach. I don't feel like starting it again since I know if I do, I won't loose as much as I will gain when quitting again - currently I am smoke and fat-free, and you can too!

So, now that you have the weight advantage and know how to loose if you have to - you can! How?

For me the gum helped - it was disgusting enough that I only had it to REALLY curb cravings - and I turned out allergic to latex so I got skin reactions to the patch. How did you do it years ago? Maybe whatever you did worked then.

My only advice is to start when you are relaxed and in a non-tempting atmosphere. For me that meant Ski vacation - when I rarely smoked anyways, but whatever you can do to make it as low stress as possible but not boring - if you are divorced and feel lonely, holidays may not be a great choice. Try to find a time that is relaxed but you have things to do that are bad with smoking anyway, and don't be together with smokers.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 18:18

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I have a friend that has had a lot of success using Wellbutrin (a prescription anti-depressant, but also used as a cessation aid) along with smoking cessation support group. Just a thought....
Congrats on the weight loss, and good luck with the smoking thing.