Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Seems doubtful. I don't think I would get 100% on El Burro Kickass Garnacha, but one can always try. Let me know how that Margaux works for you.
Cheaper than an MRI...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 05:10

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
You left out retch.

I went through my herbal phase in the 80s. I still love herbs - to cook with.

Hi there,

I am not a diabetic, but when I saw this article, I thought it might be of interest/use/help to some diabetics who are open-minded enough to try out non-pharmaceutical options to help deal with their condition. Getting a bottle of vinegar from the store is certainly a lot less hassle than getting a doctor's appointment, getting a prescription and all that jazz. And cheaper, too. I have noticed that a few American members of the forum have mentioned that they don't even have medical insurance, so these people may have even more interest in solutions that don't involve doctors.

Your whole tone is one of mockery and ridicule (see quote above) and it makes me feel like I've received a slap in the face in return for wanting to help. Gee thanks.

I thought the general idea of this forum was for people to help each other out, not to use it as an opportunity to ridicule people who have slightly different views on life.

I use herbs to cook, too, but I would never mock anybody who was willing to try putting herbs in a footbath to ease aching feet, and tell them to go to the doctor instead!

Could we have a little more tolerance and a little less ridicule, please? I was only trying to help.

amanda

p.s. I do not generally suffer from a sense-of-humour failure, but this is one of those moments.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 06:32

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile Vinegar,sense of humor

Amanda
Diabetes is a serious business but several of us,myself
included,have a sense of humor and it shows in our posts.
Several people on this forum utilize herbal supplements alone or in combination with prescription pills to control diabetes.Most
of us also utilize varying degrees of low carb diet and exercise.
Even though this thread had a few humerous posts,there was
no ridiculing or snickering at your post about health advantages
of vinegar.Vinegar didn't help my blood glucose control but
it might work for other people.We are all different and some things that will help one person may not help another.
Light heart and thick skin is very helpful in traveling the road of life.
Cheers
Eddie

Last edited by eddiemcm : Thu, Jun-26-08 at 06:35. Reason: spelling blooper
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 07:04
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Many diabetics *do* go through periods where we try a lot of natural and herbal remedies and most of them have little or no benefit. If we were to believe the all the hype in the popular press, we would be doing nothing but taking supplements. I take a lot of supplements as it is, but they have real research around their use. I feel like we are a target for every snake oil pusher on the Net.

I looked into vinegar and there has been research on it. It is the acetic acid component of vinegar - which could be made in a lab - that may show a little benefit to a small numbet of people by slowing down the digestion of carbs. But there are a lot of other more pleasant approaches to doing the same thing.

We do a lot of unpleasant things to ourselves in the course of our care: multiple finger sticks, multiple injections per day - and I'm not going to anything unpleasant to add to that burden unless there is a real and proven benefit.

You really can't compare diabetes to aching feet. It is an extremely serious disease and the 3rd leading cause of death in the US. And yes, we do have a sense of humor about it.

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Thu, Jun-26-08 at 07:19.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 09:02

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Without sense of humor it is difficult to combat any health problem. Especially when it is autoimmune related where you dont know for the most part why it happened in the first place. Life gets really easy when you let go that things happened to you and look at what you can do about it. Every single one in this forum is concerned about their health and when we are all in this together we might as well have some fun and humor in our lives.

If laughter was a pill I am sure I will be taking by the bucketful even if it tasted as bad as vinegar
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Hi there,

I am not a diabetic, but when I saw this article, I thought it might be of interest/use/help to some diabetics who are open-minded enough to try out non-pharmaceutical options to help deal with their condition...

Your whole tone is one of mockery and ridicule (see quote above) and it makes me feel like I've received a slap in the face in return for wanting to help. Gee thanks...

...I was only trying to help.

amanda
I apologize if I have seemed to antagonize or mock you. It is certainly not my intention. As I mentioned earlier I was open enough to try the vinegar suggestion and bought a bottle of it a couple months ago... just didn't have the guts to try it. I think many of us (and non-diabetics) do use humor as a way to get through the day sometimes and it is rare that we laugh at another person posting here. However, it is quite common for us to laugh with them.

I am probably one of the worst 'offenders' here in terms of using humor, sometimes it is cynicism in disguise but, for me, that is a better option than feeling sorry for myself.

I do thank you for trying to help. Please don't think otherwise. A great day for me is one where I can live, laugh, love, and cry. It helps me realize I am still alive...

Feel free to post here anytime... I mean heck, they haven't stopped me yet...

Take care and hope you are doing okay.
/smile
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 09:30
Dazed and Confused

BF:

amandawood, if you knew us you'd realize we're just acting normal. Did I intend to poke fun at Eddie and his vinegar shots? YES!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 09:30

BF:

All apologies accepted.

I guess all that apple cider vinegar I've been drinking has made me a little "sour" ...

And please don't get me wrong: generally I am perfectly capable of looking on the bright side of life...

(At this point, think of Monty Python's rendition of "Always look on the bright side of life" from their film, "The Life of Brian" - that's what I was brought up on - you can't survive in the UK without a sense of humour).

Anyway, I'll keep on posting stuff whatever you guys say!!! Gotta try and beat NancyLC and Demi!!!

Keep smiling

amanda
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 11:37
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I tried drinking vinegar to lower my blood sugar. YMMV, as others have said, but it didn't do a thing for me. And, I drank 1-2 T of vinegar for months on end with meals (when at home) and at night-time in an attempt to counter the dawn phenomenon. I'd stop occasionally and I never saw any blood sugar difference that I could attribute to vinegar.

About a month ago, I gave it up. I decided that it wasn't helping and there was no need to put myself through it anymore. I never acquired a taste for the vinegar. I originally diluted it with about a cup of water and drank that, but dilution didn't really take the edge off of the taste and just prolonged the agony. For me, 1-2 T of neat vinegar in a straight shoot as fast as possible was the most palatable. Holding my nose helped, too. I'd try not to get it on my teeth and I'd follow up the vinegar with a glass of pure water to rinse my teeth. This was to avoid having the acetic acid erode tooth enamel.

As I said, I never acquired a taste for the vinegar, but I did find Bragg Raw Unfiltered Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (bought at my local health food store) to be less ghastly than cheaper store bought vinegar.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 16:08
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Carolyn, may I suggest a nice Shiraz?
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 01:02

BF:

In Germany people are obviously made of sterner stuff. I made my ACV palatable with the addition of raw honey (so it could actually be the enzymes in the honey and vinegar that are part of the recipe's "success", not the acetic acid as such). However, I imagine that raw honey is a difficult one for diabetics.

But, if you think drinking vinegar is bad, did any of you ever try lacto-fermented Sauerkraut juice??? I tried it because it has loads of enzymes but zero carbs. Compared with lacto-fermented Sauerkraut juice, ACV with raw honey tastes like a glass of the finest Shiraz...

amanda
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 05:39
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
In Germany people are obviously made of sterner stuff.

I probably should have added that I am a "supertaster." I've counted my tastebuds with the food color on the tongue technique, and I have a lot of them, very densely packed. So, I taste food intensely and don't like common things like coffee and wine. The ACV has a very strong taste for me.

However, I did take the ACV at least 2 times a day for about 9 months. I gave it a more than fair try. As I said before, it didn't help my blood sugar. So, I don't feel there's any point of me trying Shiraz. As a diabetic, I'm not going to add raw honey.

Now, given the variable nature of diabetes, there are probably many diabetics out there who would be helped by ACV. YMMV
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 06:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

One of the best things for controlling bs is GTF chromium, 200 mcgs twice a day.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 07:50
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
So, I don't feel there's any point of me trying Shiraz.

Wine works on the liver because of alcohol. A martini would probably do the same thing. It's not the same effect one supposedly gets with ACV. I would never suggest that anyone consume something they didn't like. Life is too short and there are many ways to control blood sugar.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 09:59
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I have used wine to minimize the dawn phenomenon. I find it works better than ACV, although for me it seems to delay the blood sugar spike rather than minimize it significantly. However, I'm currently taking metformin and it's recommended that alcohol not be used with metformin.