Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 21:48

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%
Cool New Sugar Buster

Hi all.
The more I read about Sugar Busters! the more I like what I see.
I've been on Atkins for about 3 weeks and am quite impressed with the weight loss (14 pounds so far). However I don't think I can live with this WOE for a lifetime. To know that I can have whole grain bread and brown rice sounds almost too good to be true. I've always figured that eating foods as close to their natural state is a very healthy way of eating. Anyway, my concern is that if I switch to Sugar Busters before I reach my goal weight I may not lose very much or at all. I am dazzled to have lost so much already and am kind of afraid to switch. Should I wait till maitenance to try Sugar Busters or just take the plunge?
Not sure.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 06:24

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Welcome Quincy!

Hi Quincey!
Glad to see you post here.

The wonderful thing about Atkins is that initial "Whoosh" of pounds just melting away. And Atkins certainly keeps you satisfied --- no hunger pains! (not that I have ever been hungry on SB)

I have been on Atkins and PPP and lost weight on both but my weight loss slowed after a few weeks to a respectable 1/2-2 pounds a week --- which I was pleased with because I am a "turtle" when it comes to losing weight.

I thought SugarBusters! was too good to be true but it turns out that I can add few whole grains and fruit to my menus and still lose at about 1/2-2 pounds a week. I've been pleased. (I like the idea of not eating processed chemical laden foods too)

Some people find that when they first switch from Atkins to SB that they gain a couple of pounds back. That's because the carbs cause you to retain some water. But you'll lose that water weight again very quickly.

Like you I was really nervous about the whole thing. When I made the switch I added fruit back for the first week. I introduced it as snacks.

The 2nd week I added a slice of whole grain toast with breakfast and occasionally 1/2 of a baked sweet potato for supper.I didn't have the weight gain that happens to some.

So I'd say Go for It!

Sorry for the "novel". I hope this helps with your decision.

molly

ps -- Men generally tend to lose weight faster than women --- more muscle mass and different hormonal issues. I don't think you'll have a problem with slow weight loss.

Last edited by molly1844 : Sat, Aug-17-02 at 14:27.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

I've been doing SB since 7/1 and think it's a very well rounded way to live.
I never bothered with a no carb plan because I knew no carbs would just be impossible for me.
If you find you miss carbs so much you will stray from the plan give SB a try. Losing weight and keeping it off is about finding a plan that will fit in with your life. I find with SB I don't eat half as many carbs as I used to. I could never eat a meal and feel satisfied without eating some bread or pasta. Now I find myself going a whole day without eating any starchy carbs and don't feel deprived.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 12:14

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%
Default Here Goes!

Thanks for the reply Molly and Cherylco
I think I will take the plunge and try Sugar Busters! It's good to know Molly that the switch worked well for you. This is actually kinda exciting because I was feeling sooooo frustrated being overweight. I am looking so forward to reaching my goal weight after being overweight for about 15 years.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Make sure you read the book!
The cookbook is also helpful.
I've been yo-yo dieting for years. It's been almost impossible for me to loose weight.
I was on a high dose of Prednisone for over a year and went up to 265. I lost 30 pounds by pretty much starving myself. I lost 10 pounds the first month of SB I haven't done any exercising other then walking every other day and NEVER went hungry or felt deprived.
I love this!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 14:23

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Welcome Aboard!

Great!

We are happy to have you here.

As Cheryl mentioned read the book and if you have any questions feel free to ask us. We are here to support each other.

molly