Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 20:04

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Method requested: moist, cooked chicken breast meat

I often use cooked chicken breast meat in salads, enchiladas, etc. But when I poach chicken breast halves (bone-in, skin-on), they often turn out dry and tough (alternately, undercooked). I don't let the water come to a full boil. What am I doing wrong? Too long and slow?

When I roast a whole chicken I somehow manage to get the breast perfectly cooked and very moist every time. But I don't like that much dark meat. Does anyone have a reliable method for roasting chicken breast halves (bone-in, skin-on) so they come out moist and tender?

Karen, what do you do?

Thanks,

Allison
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 20:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you have an instant read thermometer?

First a disclaimer: It is recommended by the powers that be, that chicken be cooked to 180 F.

I cook chicken breasts to 160 F. Now I'm not advising you to do it, I'm only telling you what I do. I check the middle portion of the thickest part of the breast with the thermometer.

If you cook any meat till it's well done inside, it continues cooking from residual heat and this dries it out. Undercooking slightly and letting it cool down in the poaching liquid will also help to keep it moist. I would check frequently with the thermometer, and when the internal temperature was 150 F, I would turn off the heat and let the chicken sit in the liquid. I would leave the thermometer in the meat so I could watch it rise to 160 F.

Marinating in salt, pepper, herbs and garlic - no oil - for a few hours or overnight also helps to keep the chicken moist and juicy. In this method of dry marinating, it's important to use a fair bit of salt. Kosher salt or sea salt is best, but table salt will do!

Karen

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 12:17

BF:

I think you hit the nail on the head, Karen. I've been cooking it till it feels just done to the touch and ignoring that it keeps cooking afterward. I never have these problems on a roast when I use the instant read thermometer and take it out 10 degrees before done. I think I've allowed the salmonella writers to intimidate me.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

One more question: would you put the chicken breasts in the cool poaching liquid and heat the them together (like cooking potatoes to allow the interior to finish cooking closer to the same time as the exterior) or would you put the chicken in already boiling liquid (analogous to searing a piece of meat to seal in juices)?

Thanks,

Allison
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 14:01
Forum Founder

BF:

Start it off cool and bring it slowly up to a simmer. It keeps the meat more "relaxed".

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 23:57

BF:

I've just poached six pounds of chicken breasts, all perfectly moist and tender.

Thanks Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 00:00
Forum Founder

BF:

You're welcome! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 20:45

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Covering the boneless chicken breasts with Saran Wrap and microwaving them works nicely. Very yummy when sprinkled with lemon pepper.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 22:14

BF:

Interesting idea Azto. I've always been afraid the microwave would toughen meat.

Thanks,

Allison
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Moist Chicken

Hi Allison, I love to cook and my favorite meal is chicken. Here's how I do roast chicken parts so they come out juicy inside and crispy outside. ...love that skin! The whole chicken never crisps up enough for me, so I love to use the parts instead. They have more surface area upon which to carmelize and turn golden brown. This recipe works especially well with thighs, but the breasts come out great too:

Pre-heat the oven to high. I have to fire mine up to 450 to get it good and hot. Put the chicken pieces in a ziplock bag. Squeeze a lemon or lime into the bag and pour in a nice blob of extra virgin olive oil. Add a chopped up garlic clove and whatever herbs you like. I love to use fresh thyme and dried oregano and of course salt and pepper. Squish everything around a bit to get it all going. Let this sit at room temperature for no more than 30 minutes [or in the fridge for as long as overnight.] I marinate mine at room temp while I prepare my salad. Put the chicken pieces along with the marinade into a nonstick roasting pan and roast for approx. 45 minutes to one hour. The chicken skin should be well browned and the inside juices will run clear. I serve this with a huge salad with homemade lime/olive oil salad dressing. The quick marinating step and the high oven temp make all the difference and the chicken works out perfectly for me each time. I hope this helps!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 22:24

BF:
Thumbs up

Sounds good Twiggy!

Allison
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 14:59

Plan: Eat Food
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Clay Cooker

Hi Allison, I cook a whole chicken just about every Sunday in my clay cooker. It's also called a Rommertoff (sp?) I'm sure you can also cook just the breast, too.

If you are unfamiliar with this method, it is made out of the same material as a clay pot for putting your plants in. It is oval shaped with a lid. You soak both top and bottom in water (I use the sink) for at least 15 minutes. Then you can season the chicken however you like with salt, pepper, herbs, etc. and then pop it into a cold oven. Turn the heat on to 450 degrees and with a whole chicken I cook it for 85 minutes. Take the lid off and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes to get the skin crispy.

It is quite tasty. You can even stuff the chicken with onions and garlic before you put in the oven, if you are cooking the whole bird. Or, put onions under the breasts.

I have owned one of these babies for years and my original one is smaller than my new one. My new one I picked up at a thrift store, never used, for $5.00! They can be a little pricey if you buy them at a department store or a kitchen store like Williams & Sonoma.

The chicken is so moist and the skin is crunchy like it's been fried.

Have fun!!