Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-16, 10:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%
Default Artificial Pancreas Approved by FDA!

I am surprised no one has posted this yet!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/healt...icial-pancreas/

I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic, as even though it may be released by spring- i am guessing we are looking at several years before insurance companies start paying for it- that was how it was for constant glucose monitoring. And even after it had been on market for years, but not covered, then you had to prove BG control was BAD enough to warrant one.....sick system we have.

But still......OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! It's happening!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-16, 12:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

That's amazing. I knew someone had to be working on something like that: an implantable monitoring device. Combine that with the pump, and there you go.

I wonder where we'll be in 20 years. 20 years ago, we didn't think the telephone would turn into a small PC the size of a deck of cards. Maybe we'll all have a phone app something like Star Trek tricorders to assess our health parameters through the skin.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-16, 13:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

yes, i can't wait to see what it looks like 20 years from now!

So basically, what you described Kristine is pretty much we have now (in the US, no other country really has access yet). I have 2 devices- my pump and my constant glucose monitoring system (CGMS).
The CGMS is a small computer chip device attached to my belly with an adhesive and a sensor is inserted through my skin (you use a largish needle to implant once per week). It sends my BG to a handheld device every 5 minutes and alarms if i drop below or rise above limits i can set myself. It also has an arrow indicating if i am dropping, steady or rising! This helps a lot because if i am 85 and crashing, i should not drive a car, if i am 85 and lazing on my couch, i am fine.....
in addition, if i am unresponsive, it alerts my husband that i am in trouble. it is very hard to rouse a low type I diabetic, who is sleeping, so this is great at night!

The NEW artificial pancreas is amazing because i am controlling 89 million decisions per day with my fancy equipment. The APP will actually automatically release glucose if i am low, and insulin when i am rising!

Of course, i will still need to change out insertion sites on routine basis and test BG the old fashioned way (you use meter to calibrate CGMS). AND accuracy is an issue!
Also, what happens when it dies, like a cell phone dies?

Interestingly, the hand held piece is an iphone! it won't call/text/etc....but the hardware is apple's iphone!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-16, 14:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Eenfeldt addded a post about it.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/revoluti...type-1-diabetes

Earlier today he had a post by a T1 about switching to LC.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/in-short-it-works

Below this story, is a link to David Dikeman's talk about using LC to manage his son's T1. Very detailed and also very moving talk about T1 in kids.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-05-16 at 14:47.