Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 19:58

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

To you Houstonites:

I just went to Houston for the day a few days ago... We went to Chinatown of course, but we ate at a restaurant called "Dim Sum HK" or "HK Dim Sum", I forget which way it was written on the door. It is on Bellaire on the left as you're going from Corporate to Hwy 8 and it is in a new shopping center.

I want to tell you, that is the best Chinese food I've eaten in the USA.... We were 5 in the group and we ordered and shared about 15 items off the menu and each was better than the last one.... Do yourselves a favor and try it out... I'd think that anything ordered would be great. For what we had, it was like eating a feast. The total bill was under $65, less than $13 a person with the drinks. That blew me away as this was not run of the mill food they were serving....

Anyway, glad to read all these successes with controlling BG...

I've not been checking mine but perhaps 3 times in the last couple of weeks. I just decided to take a break from all that monitoring, but I'll probably start back soon. I'm sure my BG is fine as I watch what I eat and I've been taking my supplements...

Enjoy the lack of DP problems... It may or may not last. I had a mild case of it return, but not more than 10 or 15 point spread between night and morning... I'll probably try to get that back in control soon, just not into monitoring lately, perhaps I needed a break to feel like a normal person for a while...

Ron
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 21:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't have DP either, just too high FBG.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 05:06

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ron thanks for letting us know about the restaurant. I live about 20 miles from there but I do get up to that area once in awhile. I will keep it in mind.

FBG this morning was 94.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 06:20

You guys have been posting your FBGs' to the point it has raised my curiosity....

My FBG today: 106
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 09:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

My FBG varies between 85 and 115.Today it was 101.
Haven't seen over 115 in a very long time.
Seems to have got better since weight loss.
I can keep it low by taking stuff before I go to bed but I
don't do that anymore.After a medium carb breakfast,my BG is
generally ok all day unless I eat something I shouldn't.
Cheers/happy trails
Eddie
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 17:47

BF:

Reading all these number I am thinking I must be diabetic for sure. I only keep the numbers as low as they are by limiting carbs to almost Dr. Bernstein level and some days even lower. I notice that most of you don't limit your carbs that much yet still have okay numbers.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 20:12
Experimenter

BF:

I keep mine very low too.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 20:27

I just watched a movie and felt a little hungry and I am wishing I didn't live so far from Houston.

I mentioned a restaurant in a prior post; it is actually HK Dim Sum and not the other way around.

Here's a link with the address:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/res...ews/rsv5467.asp

There's a review and I'll agree it was crowded, but it was worth it.... That will probably be my only eating spot when I eat in Houston...

Anyway, this is my first day without gymnema sylvestre in a very long time. Even when I stop everything else, I keep using the gymnema, but I'm leary of hypos while trying the metformin out for the next couple of weeks or so...
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 07:03

BF:

Just curious but Ron or anyone else do you have any experience or any knowledge of the following?

http://www.longevityherbs.com/artic...immortality.php
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 08:36

Reishi is over rated and over hyped commercially in the USA. It carries a hefty price tag if I remember correctly. I had tried a bottle of it a couple of years ago and I didn't notice anything different.

The problem with herbs is this: 90% of it is based on folk lore and other than psychological impact, its of little benefit. I'm not saying reishi mushrooms are based on folk lore, but between folk lore and hype, it makes it a little difficult to make good decisions on herbs... That's just my personal take on it all...
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 08:58

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Ron
I'm not sure about mushroom supplements to enhance immune system.I use the very well researched Beta Glucan(one 250 mg pill per day)to keep my immune system jacked up but I honestly
don't know if it has any effect.All I can say is I never get sick.
Cheers
Eddie
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 09:06

Eddie,
I agree.... I eat a lot of herbs in my food, and don't know what I am actually consuming, as I trust my wife's decision on herbal use, but my proof is like yours, I'm never sick....
Ron
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 12:25

BF:

Well............too late. Already bought some before I waited for a response. I will give it a month and see what it does. I also have alergy problems and was taking quercetin. If this works better than quercetin I might stay with it but quercetin is about one third the price of the reishi.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 12:07
Experimenter

BF:

Bleh... maybe my low readings were a fluke. They're back up again. Bah, bah, bah... triple bah!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 16:02

BF:

I;m sorry nancy. That can be frustrating.

I and a friend of mine went to Specs Liquor store to find wines that are dry. Talked in length to a wine expert.... supposedly. Ended up buying a pinot noir and another cabernet/shiraz blend. Friday night I had a glass of shiraz and my saturday morning gucose was 89. My readings stayed between 80-100 all day satruday.

Didn't take it this morning. Sometimes I just get tired of the whole thing but I know it's important to not let it get out of control. I've pretty much got the low carb thing down now and don't need to worry about that. But most of the time it's not enough by itself to get my numbers down to where I want them.