Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 09:56

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Questions about HbA1c

I'm peeking through my bloodworks right now and I'm on the high side (limit on some) in Red Blood Cell related things.

Red Blood Cell Count: 5.5 (4.5-5.5)
Hemoglobin: 170 (140-180)
Hematocrit: 0.48 (0.40-0.48)

According to what I've read, I'm in the range, but on the limit of having too thick blood.

Logically, those numbers would mean that my "perfect" HbA1c must be on the high side, around 5.8%, has anyone an idea if my thoughts are into something?

Why is this important to me? Because of the psychology behind it, If I try to get a too good HbA1c I think I will probably do more harm than anything else.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 02:02

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

My lab results:

Red Blood Cell Count: 4.7 (4.7 - 6.1)
Hemoglobin: 14.2 (14 - 18)
Hemaocrit: 42 (42 - 52)

HbA1C: 5.4 (4.2 - 5.8)

I think my blood test defies your logic.... hmmmmmm

My logic says: "Test results are normal"..............

I used to get tested with complete blood work every 90 days, but this last year, decided to switch to every 6 months as I don't think it is necessary to test as often as I've been "in the zone" for a couple of years.....

Each test varies somewhat, but that is not important to me. What is important, is I feel healthy and there is nothing to indicate I need to worry out of the ordinary....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:46

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

I have bad news for you.

According to my ProtonMoto(tm) hyper duper calculating machine, your optimal HbA1c should be: 4.6!

While you're on the low side, I'm on the high side, as it is always said, we're all slightly different.

Are you taking any bloodthinners? Like Aspirin? Or eating green peas like there's no tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Each test varies somewhat, but that is not important to me. What is important, is I feel healthy and there is nothing to indicate I need to worry out of the ordinary....

True words, the most important, that you feel happy and comfortable. I will feel happy when my HbA1c will be around 5.5 to 6.0 according to my RBC and hematocrit counts, if it's lower, then it's ok anyway, that would mean that the benfotiamine and the other supplements are doing their work.

PS: According to my meter I've reached 5.8 already!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:36

Quote:
Are you taking any bloodthinners? Like Aspirin? Or eating green peas like there's no tomorrow?

A baby aspirin a day....

I eat my share of green peas and a whole lot of dark green vegetables.........
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 06:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
I have bad news for you.

According to my ProtonMoto(tm) hyper duper calculating machine, your optimal HbA1c should be: 4.6!

While you're on the low side, I'm on the high side, as it is always said, we're all slightly different.

True words, the most important, that you feel happy and comfortable. I will feel happy when my HbA1c will be around 5.5 to 6.0 according to my RBC and hematocrit counts, if it's lower, then it's ok anyway, that would mean that the benfotiamine and the other supplements are doing their work.

Joining the 5.0 club is terrific. The closer to 5.0 you can get the better.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Bernstein mentioned in his book that the normal range for A1C ranged from 4.2 - 4.6 for non-diabetics.

Ralph
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 15:57

An A1c of 4.2 to 5.8 can be accomplished with BG readings that swing from 50-500 (assuming anything under or over that would eventually kill you, although I'm aware people can survive lower and higher than that)

I think a healthy A1C of 4.2 to 5.8 is one that is achieved while keeping the BG between 70-110 away from meals with a high bg reading under 150 at 1 hr after meals. I also believe an A1C of 4.2 to 5.8 that is achieved without medications is a lot healthier than if achieved with the use of medications.

In my opinion, we should never delude ourselves into believing if we control our blodd sugars with medications that we are as helathy as "normal" people who achieve same A1C levels as we do with medications... At the same time, it is better to control blood sugars with medications, than to not control blood sugars...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 04:29

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
An A1c of 4.2 to 5.8 can be accomplished with BG readings that swing from 50-500 (assuming anything under or over that would eventually kill you, although I'm aware people can survive lower and higher than that)

I think a healthy A1C of 4.2 to 5.8 is one that is achieved while keeping the BG between 70-110 away from meals with a high bg reading under 150 at 1 hr after meals. I also believe an A1C of 4.2 to 5.8 that is achieved without medications is a lot healthier than if achieved with the use of medications.

In my opinion, we should never delude ourselves into believing if we control our blodd sugars with medications that we are as helathy as "normal" people who achieve same A1C levels as we do with medications... At the same time, it is better to control blood sugars with medications, than to not control blood sugars...

by medications are you talking about herbs and dietary supplements too? Or just RX?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 05:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
by medications are you talking about herbs and dietary supplements too? Or just RX?

yep.... the human body was so designed that when it is functioning normally on a normal diet, (and a normal level of activity) it doesn't need to supplement anything.

I understand there could be a huge debate over "normal" and also a debate that we can't get enough vitamins, etc. out of our foods because our soils being depleted through over farming, blah blah blah...

I can rephrase that to say; with the right combination of foods consumed by a body in a great state of health where all the organs are functioning as they should, supplementation is not necessary... Probably that is even debatable with the way some folks would read this......

But damn, if what I'm stating is plainly not true, then what's the point of living and trying to improve our health at all....
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 11:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Ah yes, if we were all a bit smarter and better behaved throughout our lives and probably ignore most of the health recommendations that have been made we would do well without medications and Rxs and live to about 50 or so before we were either killed by a wild animal or simply expired of "natural causes".

#10   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 17:43

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
I have bad news for you.

you asked if he or she was taking asprin, what does asprin do to HbA1c's?