Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 11:23

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

I'm alot happier this time around on ww. The new points plus is really working well for me.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 11:57

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

Anyone still doing ww and how is it going??...Do you do ww along with low carb or strictly ww??..just curious
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 15:15

Plan: LOOKING FOR A PLAN
Stats: 239/183/165 Female 5'9"
BF:Yes I have that
Progress: 76%

I have completely abandoned WW for atkins style eating. WW worked well for me until I became so insulin resistant, now even Atkins is difficult
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/GI
Stats: 235/212.7/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I, too, am insulin resistant. I don't do WW points, but I try to basically follow WW Simply Filling and lean toward low glycemic load foods, severely limiting starches (bread, rice, potatoes, etc.).
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 22:01

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I went back to WW 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've been celebrating since my last weigh-in because I did so well---3# down. I doubt if I'll hav e a loss this week and the freedom with food ww allows isn't working for me so well. I need to just focus on those core foods. I do like this newer points plan they have for 2012.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 07:25

Plan: Ideal Protein
Stats: 153/153/143 Female 5'2"
BF:40%
Default More on Weight Watchers

Is it okay to revive an old thread? I just found this, and I joined WW thinking there is science behind the diet. But unlimited fruit doesn't work for me, so I will have to modify. I'll check out the simply filling schema.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 11:14

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I think your reviving this thread is a good idea. I go to WW from time to time but don't count points. I go because I'm a Lifetime member close to or at goal so it's usually free. The points have different values than they used to. They are encouraging less carbs but more fiber I think.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I was first introduced to Weight Watchers back in the late '60s, when my mother was a member. I was not overweight but attended meetings with her, just out of curiosity. I absorbed a lot of information which became habits and stuck with me for life. Not a bad thing at all. I attended as a member about 9-10 years ago and did core. I lost 21 pounds but was constantly hungry and unhappy. Gained back all the weight plus 27 more ultimately, not that anyone's counting.

Speaking of counting, I hate to do that. But thanks to my early training, it's second nature for me to eyeball a cup of food. Core was really good except I tended to overdo the grains and want more and more. In the long run, WW for me felt like deprivation. I also didn't find the meetings supportive. I would be ridiculed by the others when I said I was learning to grab an apple instead of a sleeve of Oreos. They passed around the basket with 1- and 2- point treats which I never would have thought of having on my own. It was about temptation, too. Resisting temptation, and not being able to resist temptation, then having to start all over again.

The whole foods, no measuring or counting or tracking approach of core worked well for me. I carry it over into my low-carb eating.

Even though the low-fat approach of WW and the high-fat approach of Atkins seem incompatible, I can see how one might be able to combine different parts of each and make it work. More power to those who find the meetings helpful.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 09:05

Plan: Ideal Protein
Stats: 153/153/143 Female 5'2"
BF:40%
Default Thank you for reviving WW thread!

Thank you for your reasonable comments. Since I joined through September, I will go to the meetings. It does help, although secretly I'll be turning away from free fruit, and using My Fitness Pal to count calories, not points. I will need your support through my process of going back to low carb, which I successfully lost 20 lbs. several years ago and kept it off. Now I'm on a drug that can make me gain weight, so low carb is even more important. You can't imagine how much I appreciate your replies on this forum! Thank you!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 09:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Welcome to the board! I find the advice here works much better than WW meetings.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-17, 11:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The new "freestyle" points system almost seems like a nod towards semi-low carb plans. It encourages proteins and fruits. Still hates butter

I think it is a bad idea to not log in zero points foods. If you don't have a idea of what you used for a meal you cannot replicate success or correct your failures.

I have been depending on eggs a lot already, so I am happy to have them as a free food.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-17, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I don't follow Weight Watchers but I looked at their new list of free foods and I am aghast. They include corn, beans and yogurt. They say, and Dr. Atkins said, that you can't overeat meat and eggs because the body gets satiated. It's fine to call those free foods. But anything with carbs triggers the body to crave more. It is so very easy to overdo it with beans and corn. I know because when I have tried them it has sabotaged my weight loss. Also, during my low carb weight loss, I have practically lived on plain yogurt with sugar twin. I count it a protein and I think of it is a real food even though it's rather high in carbs. I lose only about 1 lb. a week because of my refusal to give up dairy. I think Weight Watchers is going down the wrong road in saying these foods can be eaten in unlimited quantities. Or is there fine print, where they say it is limited to "reasonable" quantitites? Then they're off the hook.

Common sense tells all of us what foods we never ever gained weight from. In no one's universe are beans and corn non-fattening. They can be eaten occasionally as long as the overall food intake is low that day. Same with bread or pasta. They should be in the same category as bread and pasta, with points. But WW is calling them FREE (and thus non fattening) which they definitely are not.