Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 14:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binsk
Thank you for your kind welcome. I have read Dr. Berstein's book and found it very helpful. I am one of the ones that lowcarbing only slightly helps DP. I do think with tweaking my diet as some have here that it could improve further. Does anyone have the answer to what happens with the excess dietary fat we consume (exceeding our caloric needs)?

Hi Binsk!

You may find this thread very informative regarding what happens to the fat that we eat.
The brief answer is that dietary fat cannot be stored as body fat once it has been broken down into ketones and must either be used or wasted. Excess ketones are 'wasted' through the urine, your lungs, your sweat and your stools.
Also when insulin levels are low, the body does not easily store fat from any energy source since when insulin is low, glucagon is high and when glucagon is high the body is in 'fat burning' mode, not 'fat storing' mode.
HTH!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/248/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Daryl, can you really be in ketosis if your sugars are that high in the morning? Wouldn't it mean that your body is once again using sugar as a fuel and not fat? It was my experience that the ketostix never turned purple unless my BG read close to 6.0 or less. The more I was below 6.0 for a period of time, the deeper the purple. If I was getting daytime reading of high 4's and low 5's the test strips would be purple, but in the morning when my sugars were high, the test strips would be beige. Unfortunately I only got those good numbers when I was doing Fat Fast and it was at that time that I would see the weight start to go down. Fat Fast is something that I loath doing so it was never something I could stick to. Of course YMMV. I wonder if other diabetic members have experienced similar findings? I wish that I could better understand all of this.
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 04:44

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I think you can, Binsk, but maybe someone with more knowledge can clarify it for us It's tough figuring low carbing and diabetes out, I've been studying this stuff for several months now, and what I know is dwarfed by what I don't.
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/248/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for posting the thread Lisa, it was very interesting. I think I better understand now. Daryl you are right in that we do so much research and still don't have all the answers The thing that most intrigues me is when people share their experiments on getting their BG down and when I see people's success, it gives me hope. This morning I read that eating a green apple before bed helped some people with DP, others were helped by vinegar pills and some were helped by some resistant starch called Hi-Maize. I'm not sure but I think that is what Kevinpa uses in his baking recipes. Since being diagnosed 10 years ago, I am always looking for things that will help and usually I am very strict with what I eat (I'm human so there are the occasional slipups). It can be frustrating when people close to you say "just one little bit won't hurt you" or "so and so cured his diabetes when he lost weight and now he eats whatever he wants" or if you do have a slipup "it's about time, you're too strict, you need to let loose every once and a while". I wish diabetes was that simple.
  #155   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 05:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hello Binsk,

I believe the weight loss is important.

I hope at some point in time I lose enough weight that I can reduce and/or eliminate meds.

I tried natural remedies, but they do not do as well for me at this point.

I also believe a glass of red wine in the evening or a drink helps the DP.

However, I am also thinking the one thing that I still take Krill Oil is helping me a lot.

I went on meds and I take Krill oil and now my numbers are finally getting consistently below 100; many in the 90s and quite a few at 80-85.

I do my best to stay between 30-60 carbs a day. Sometimes I have more and yes my numbers creep up to the 120s or so now.

Overall, I am happy and learning.

Keep up the good work.

Ralph