Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 22:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/152/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Calling Koko and Spang...

Just wanted to say thank you both for all your help; you've been MOST kind and helpful. I kept reading the words on the Mendosa site and the NGR about GI and GL, but only after speaking to you guys are things finally beginning to click in me.

So sad about Atkins, hey? Ironic also, that he took such good care of his heart, only to have this accident and sustain HEAD injuries.

Spang, I did read your posts on the GI and GL. You explained it oh so eloquently. You're right, I DID have the NGR book, but I returned it. Maybe that was the wrong decision, but I just thought the Suzanne somers book was a good substitute for MM. I know you think NGR follows the same principles as Montignac, but I can't understand why then, there are so many contradictions between the two. Even in the WEIGHT LOSS section of the NGR, it allows for things MM wouldn't allow for. For instance,

-- Mixing fruit with other foods
-- Sugar is allowed in small doses (in muesli bars, cereals, ice-cream)
-- Fats and carbs are allowed together (i.e. olive oil in humus with pita bread)
-- Potato, corn, raisins and wholemeal bread are allowed, even in the weight loss phase

....just to name a few.

I'm sorry, I just can't put my trust in a diet that allows for REFINED SUGAR (even if that food happens to be low GI). Surely having a low-fat muesli bar, as NGR suggests for a snack (packed with sugar - it's the second ingredient!) can't be good for you. In fact for MANY low fat snacks that NGR allows, in one case sugar was the FIRST ingredient!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 01:11
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%

I must ask: What is NGR?

--Maria
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:29
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Shirls -

You are very welcome - I was glad to help. Good Luck to you and your Mum.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:37
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default The New Glucose Revolution

Hi there MKM

NGR is short for "The New Glucose Revolution" a book that explains the Glucose Index and Glucose Load of foods, it has a GI/GL chart at the back of the book - guidelines on eating a controlled carb diet - rather than a low carb diet. Recipes for low and medium GL foods. Scientific explanations and examples of blood sugar studies, and much more.

Some of us on Montignac are using the NGR in conjunction with the Montignac plan - eating in the Montignac method and using information regarding GL/GI etc from the NGR. In my case the Montignac book I was able to obtain from the library was confusing and at times contradictory. I truly believe in the plan but Mr. M is not very good at writing books or producing an informative website. I like the plan as I have never eaten a lot of sweets or overly processed foods to begin with - so it's easy for me - people who are used to lots of sugar or sweetners have to adjust to doing without - but any diet asks you to do without something right? Wow - you ask a simple question and get a short book for an answer - sorry
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 10:37

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default no problem shirls

sorry you didn't like ngr, shirls