Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 02:04

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

He doesn't actually say "it's hard on the body." (He does say that about eating too much protein, but not about eating too few carbs.) He just says that it's not necessary for health and weight loss, and that it's not supposed to occur for people on the Optimal Diet once their bodies have adjusted, which can take 1-8 weeks depending on one's age and health history.

It's basically the same thing that Dr. Lutz says in Life Without Bread: Ketosis isn't something to be afraid of, but it's not something you should aim for, either.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 06:31

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

yes, but once the body has adapted to using ketones for some or most of it's energy purposes ketones are no longer spilled but recycled - so one is not 'in ketosis' - i.e. spilling ketones. This can happen on zero carbs and also slightly higher amounts.

I think this question about why he would say something like that keeps coming up because for some people here the difference between say 20g and 70g of carb DOES seem to make a difference for weight loss (and it can go either way!). There even seems to be a difference for some between 20g and going even lower.
  #183   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 06:39

I think this is missing a decent enough explanation. I think it has to do with having enough glucose to fully metabolize fatty acids. That glucose can be found from excess protein, or from carbs. If there is not enough glucose from either source, then ketones are used for energy. Dr K's diet is low in protein, as in, there is no excess to provide glucose from gluconeogenesis. To prevent the person from running off ketones, carbs are used, so the body runs off fatty acids that are FULLY BURNED, not ketones, which are made from incompletely metabolized fatty acids.

Whatever the explanation, he obviously feels it is much better to use carbs rather than protein to provide glucose.

And the other issue is, why is it that some people don't lose fat when they are trying to use excess protein as their source of glucose? I.e. very low carbs, lots of protein, lots of fat. The people who have had success on Dr K's diet seem to do better using carbs for glucose, and not protein.

These ideas I have been discussing elsewhere so they are obviously not 'hard science' I'm just throwing it out there because it would be a shame not to explore this further.
  #184   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 06:48

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
And the other issue is, why is it that some people don't lose fat when they are trying to use excess protein as their source of glucose? I.e. very low carbs, lots of protein, lots of fat.

Usually because they are consuming dairy.
  #185   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 07:18

Yes, well, seeing as this is the paleo forum I'm not going to tackle that one!

Actually - yeah I'll bite. I do know of people who gained, on zero carbs, with no dairy. So there!
  #186   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 07:19

Sorry, didn't mean to be quite so obnoxious. I see you said 'usually' - which seems to be true.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 07:22

Some of the peeps doing Dr K's diet are still eating dairy but are losing with lower protein and higher carbs....
  #188   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 07:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to be quite so obnoxious. I see you said 'usually' - which seems to be true.

You just never know, though. I dropped dairy to follow the Neanderthin plan to try to break a long stall. But it didn't do me any good. I was just as stalled on the Neanderthin plan as I was when I was having dairy, but not even enjoying life to boot.

Right now I'm trying out the Kwasniewski Optimal Diet to see if cutting back on my protein will break a stall, as it seems to have done for many people.
  #189   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 07:40

BF:

Quote:
I do know of people who gained, on zero carbs, with no dairy.
Who?
I would like to know more, as I have never seen this happen. It's almost physically impossible if fat is high..
  #190   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 08:12

I know of two women. One on the zerocarbage forum, and at least two on the nocarber forum. One was trying and trying for a VERY long time, and just kept gaining bodyfat. She only lost on very restrictive calories - which bounced back again once she ate more again. All meat/fat. I don't know how much fat she was eating, but she definitely wasn't low fat or anything. Another one gained for a few months before throwing in the towel.
  #191   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 08:13

sorry, that makes 3 women.
  #192   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 08:34

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

Make that four. I gained on ZC and quit. I finally lost the 7 pounds I gained by following the Optimal Diet ratios- upping carbs (30-40) upping fat (tons) and lowering protein (50-60).

I can't say that I find any of the explanations as to why this would happen very convincing but I'm happy to lose the weight that just wouldn't budge for over a year.
  #193   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 08:41

BF:

*baffled by some peoples weird bodies and wanders off*
  #194   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't gain on very low carb, but I stop losing after I hit a certain point, which is a good 20 lbs above my ideal weight (yes, even considering my age).

Although I can verify that next to carbs, dairy makes me gain weight really fast. Now I can see why they force feed it to those Mauritanian girls to fatten them.
  #195   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 11:16

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

For the past two or three years, I've gained about 10 pounds every fall (and lost it in the summer). The only dairy I eat is ghee, and my carbs are usually around 10-15g a day. I only introduced ghee after a long period without it, and could not detect any dairy reaction. I wouldn't be surprised if my 2007 gain was totally dairy free. My fat intake is always over 70% of calories, and I try to keep it near 80%. 75%-77% is typical.