Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:10
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question BFL during pregnancy

I started BFL about 2 months ago combined with Atkins OWL. I upped the carbs as it helped to maintain the energy level. Anyway, I stopped about 4 weeks in because I found out I was pregnant. I have kept up the aerobic exercise, but was thinking of restarting the weight routine on BFL. I have my doc's ok to do weight lifting, but she didn't have any guideline on what I should limit except I should omit the abdominal crunches, and any of the exercises you do on your back.

Has anyone done weight lifting during pregnancy, or have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:58
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm going to err on the side of caution and tell you not to lift weights during pregnancy and to not run.

You might be able to find a workout tape for pregnant women.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I found this article a while back and posted it on my web page for my clients. Hope it helps

By Christine Grant, CPT

As a Fitness Professional, I receive many inquiries from expectant mothers asking if it is safe to exercise while pregnant. My answer is always the same.

Yes, it is safe and often beneficial to exercise while pregnant, but some precautions must take priority.

You must get clearance from your physician prior to exercising.

The 1994 American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Guidelines for Exercise During Pregnancy Are As Follows:

Regular exercise (at least three times per week) is preferable to intermittent activity.
Avoid exercise in the supine position (lying on your back) after the first trimester. Avoid prolonged periods of motionless standing.
Modify exercise intensity according to symptoms. Stop exercising when fatigued and do not exercise to exhaustion. Non-weight bearing exercising may be preferable.
Avoid exercises where there is significant potential for loss of balance or abdominal trauma.
Exercising pregnant women should be especially careful to consume an adequate diet.
Ensure adequate hydration, wear appropriate clothing and strive for optimal environmental surroundings during exercise to help dissipate heat (especially in the first trimester).
Resume pre-pregnancy routines gradually postpartum. [1]
During pregnancy the body will undergo many hormonal changes that are a cause of caution for the exercising client. The following paragraphs will represent a portion of these. For a complete reference to exercising while you are pregnant, please seek advice from your physician.

Warm-up
A warm-up period is always recommended to all exercising individuals, and for pregnant women this is especially true. The warm-up should be a bit longer in duration (8-12 minutes) for the joints to thoroughly warm-up.

Flexibility
In order for the pelvic joints to expand during birth, there is an increase in the levels of relaxin, elastin, estrogen and progesterone. This increase softens the connective tissue surrounding the joints and all weight bearing joints will be affected (knees, ankles, hips). Stretching exercises are not recommended to maximum resistance, but rather to mild tension. Special attention should be placed on the adductor (inner thigh) stretches, as too much tension may cause separation and undue stress to pubic bone. Modify all lunge or squat movements so the hips do not drop below the knees.[2]

Heart Rate
During pregnancy the resting heart rate may be elevated as much as 15 beats per minute. Reaching the target training zone will take less time and should be conducted at a lower intensity level. If you are new to exercising you may exercise with duration of 15-20 minutes of cardiovascular exercise. You will need to check your heart rate every 5 minutes to ensure you are not going over your training heart rate zone. If you are an experienced exerciser you may go a bit longer in duration and may only need to check your heart rate every 10 minutes. As a guideline your training heart rate may reach levels of 60-70% of your maximum heart rate (220-Age = Maximum Heart Rate), more experienced exercisers may go to 75%. Your training heart rate should not exceed 144 beats per minute. Please see your physician or a qualified fitness trainer to determine your specific parameters.[3]

Dehydration
“Dehydration during exercise could have a harmful effect and is a known cause of premature labor later in pregnancy."[4] Pregnant women should drink before, during and after exercise. It is not recommended to exercise in hot or humid weather. The core body temperature should not exceed 101 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius.

Warning Signs
If any of the following occur, you should stop exercising immediately and consult your physician.

Pain
Dizziness
Pubic Pain
Back Pain
Bleeding
Faintness
Tachycardia
Palpitations
Shortness of Breath
Difficulty Breathing[5]
Benefits of Exercise
Although, it would be nice to quote that exercise is linked to a shorter and less painful labor and that babies are born healthier to those that exercise, at this time there is no research to support this. However, the following are some of the benefits that have been linked to exercising while you are pregnant.

“Improved circulation, improved digestion, improved muscle tone to support joints, increased energy and endurance, improved image and self esteem, relief of discomforts such as backaches, leg cramps and fatigue, decreased stress, improved sleep, and improved support of pelvic organs."[6]

Please keep in mind that during pregnancy the focus is on maintaining a healthy level of fitness, it is not the time to compete or improve your level of fitness.

Always check with your physician prior to beginning an exercise program.

Important Note: The information presented is not intended to be a substitute for personal medical attention, diagnosis or treatment. Please see your physician prior to beginning any exercise program.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credentials:

Christine Grant is a Certified Personal Trainer, Aerobic Instructor and Spin Instructor. With more then 10 years experience in the Fitness Industry she has helped many clients improve their level of fitness as well as their quality of life. Christine graduated Cum Laude from the University of New Hampshire with a BA in Psychology. With concentrated studies on biochemical changes, eating disorders, exercise disorders, self-esteem and body image she incorporates the mind and body connection to training.

Special Thanks to Dr. J. Todd Brown for his assistance with this article.

[1] A Guide to Personal Fitness Training, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 1997.
[2] Fitness Theory & Practice, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 1995.
[3] Fitness Theory & Practice, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 1995.
[4] A Guide to Personal Fitness Training, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 1997.
[5] Fitness Theory & Practice, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 1995.
[6] A Guide to Personal Fitness Training, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 1997.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:03
This is the year

BF:

Thanks for the great article. My doctor has OK'd me for low intensity cardio and weights (since I was already doing them) as long as I feel comfortable doing it. She recommended I not go higher than 60 pounds, and that when I'm approaching the third trimester to switch over to doing weights for just my arms.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 15:23

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Thanks for the posts!

I've been doing Body RX, but just found that I'm pregnant...so I came here to see what others had to say.

I will be checking with my doc regarding what she thinks (but I won't be to see her probably for 6 or 8 more weeks). I'm going to miss weight lifting. But I probably should play it safe.

-- Loretta
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 06:30

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

I did a Denise Austin pregnancy workout w/both my pregnancies - it was easy in the 2nd trimester, but in the 3rd I was working up a sweat. It's worth checking out. Wonder if you could use light weights (2-5lbs) with an upright bench? Maybe you could do squats if you had a bar to hold on to??? I also used a treadmill on the lowest setting (I mean really sloooow) I was afraid of falling if I went too fast. Also, one more thing that I'm sure you've already heard of. Water aerobics. In my community there is a place that teaches pregnancy water aerobics and they use light water weights. I have not gone to that, but if I became pregnant again it would be something I would check out. Good Luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:20
This is the year

BF:

Thanks for the water aerobics suggestion! I am also trying to find a pregnancy yoga class. Right now, I have found a groove doing 20 to 30 mins brisk walking, and some work for my biceps, triceps, and shoulders limiting out at 20 pounds. If I feel like I didn't get enough, I just add another set but keep at 20 lbs. All I have to do now is find a good exercise for strengthening my back. I read that a strong back can really help with easier delivery, and mine has always been weak. I picked up a FitPregnancy magazine at lunch today, and hopefully will find something in there.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 15:45

Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress:

I lifted weights through the first and second trimester, because I had been lifting them previously. You just have to use a bit of common sense. Use weights that can fatigue your muscle by 15 reps, no sooner. Also, obviously don't lie on your back for any of the exercises and don't bother with working the abs. It may do more harm than good.

Congrats!

Kim.