Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 21:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/195/155 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Major Bloating Issues

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and have to mention some of the things that have happened to me.

I have always been a healthy athletic type of person. Always full of energy and joy.

For the past 5 years...I have been experiencing the worst bloating pains ever. Its always gas towards the end of the day and its super embarrassing.

Im super overweight and have a hard time getting my butt up to work out.

I really want to go on low carb again but it seems impossible sometimes with this stomach issue Im having.

I have been tested for celiacs disease and candida. I think it may be a little bit of candida but who knows for sure. I just did the saliva cup test in the AM.

All the doctors I have seen are always telling me these things are in my head and I need antidepressants.....of coursed Im depressed...I look 6 months prego everyday!! LOL

So...just recently..I saw this really awesome gastro doctor and he tested me on numerous things. Turns out that I have H. Pylori.

How crazy is that? Except...I don't have any acid reflux pains or ulcer pains. Just allot of gas, bloating, tiredness, weak, irritable blah blah..the list goes on and on. Maybe from time to time I hiccup like I had a soda or something which is kinda funny and weird.

So here is my question...if anyone can answer this. What do you eat with H. Pylori?? does coffee make it worse?? for some reason...light roast coffee bloats the living hell out of my belly.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 13:06

Plan: Low on food chain
Stats: 200/200/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I have the same thing.
I won't take an antidepressant, they are notorious for causing sexual problems, such as numbness. That would really depress me more.
If I didn't have these health problems, I wouldn't feel down. I have found exercising helps.
I am not eating any starches or sugars, hoping this won't "feed" the yeast.
I would not be surprised if the IBS abdominal distention is caused by yeast. Not at all.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 14:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Try going gluten free and see if that helps. You might have a celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 15:23

Plan: Low on food chain
Stats: 200/200/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I have...I am eating no grains, no dairy (allergy), just meat, fish, eggs, some vegetables. I have to watch certain vegetables with my IBS....

But what if this is yeast, how do I get rid of it?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 16:14

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie
But what if this is yeast, how do I get rid of it?

You can tell its yeast if any of the following steps cause 1) diarrhea (sp?) (usually pretty severe) and/or 2) your usual symptoms get WORSE (brain fog, muscle aches, nether infections or ichiness, rashes, etc.).

First step to get rid of yeast is by doing the diet that you are doing (good for you!!) to starve the yeast by eliminating its primary food--sugar. You also need to eliminate alcohol, nuts, dairy (except butter and ghee), vinegars and anything pickled (including prepared salad dressings and mustard), soy and soy oils, any commercial oil except for coconut or olive oil, and anything fermented or malted (including yogurt). Not sure if you are already doing that but thought I would mention it. Also, are you cooking your veggies until they are soft? This is something that is recommended by many anti-yeast protocols. You can make salad dressing from olive or MCT oil (see below), lemon juice, and spices and seasonings. You'll never miss your old fashioned Italian dressing!

Second step is to start natural and supplemental anti-fungals to kill remaining yeast. Raw garlic, eaten within one hour of being crushed or diced - 2 to 6 cloves per day. Coconut oil - 2 to 6 T per day. I melt this and add it to my protein shake. MCT oil (the active stuff in coconut oil) is also good. Oil of oregano, 4-20 drops per day. Grapefruit seed extract, as directed on the bottle. These last two taste pretty nasty so I usually have to mix them into a protein shake or something.

Third step is to start healing the gut and repopulating the GOOD bacteria. Pro-biotics (look for one with multiple strains and more than 2mm bugs per dose), the pre-biotic inulin (1 t a couple times per day to feed the good guys), undenatured whey (something like Designer Whey Protein by NOW is decent and an ok price), and 400-600mg selenium can all help with this.

Hope that helps somewhat.