Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 300/190.5/133 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default ? on keeping supplies at work

I am juvenile diabetic and have always kept insulin in the fridge wherever I've worked. I also have always tested at work a couple of times a day.

I am now told not to keep insulin in the fridge or test at work because a coworker is uncomfortable with it. I've been on this job five years and this is the first time I've heard anything about it.

I have removed my insulin and brought my testing supplies out home.

My question is do they really have the right to ask me to do this? if I can't keep insulin in the fridge I can't keep it at work. I suppose I could go to my car to test, and to inject (that upset this person too she saw me do it in the bathroom).

Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 17:10

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Would suggest to you that you ask them if they are aware of probable SERIOUS violations of the Americans With Disabilities Act?

No, they can't tell you that... and if they do, you have a pretty iron-clad case, IMO...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 17:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

I don't want a case actually LOL. I just want to be able to come back with solid facts as to if they can do that or not. I mean just because a coworker is uncomfortable with it, I wondered if they can ask me to not take injections at work and not keep insulin in the fridge. I'd like to come up with a solution that doesn't involve me having to take legal action or something drastic like that.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 18:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Go google up a copy of the ADA act and have a chat with the HR manager or your boss. You don't have to take them to court, just pointing out the law should do it, if they're reasonable people.

Are you injecting yourself in front of co-workers? How would they even know?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 18:34

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

If you had a stoma, and had to clean it at work, would they ask you to muddle through without breathing, "because a coworker is uncomfortable"?

My point is, if you know your rights, and what the ADA says, no HR person in their right MIND would tell you that...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 19:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Go google up a copy of the ADA act and have a chat with the HR manager or your boss. You don't have to take them to court, just pointing out the law should do it, if they're reasonable people.

Are you injecting yourself in front of co-workers? How would they even know?

Because one of them came in the bathroom when I was injecting. They see the in insulin the fridge also. I'm told they are uncomfortable with it.

Does the ADA specifically say that an employee can keep insulin in the fridge? Does it specifically say I can take an injection at work? What about if people are offended by it?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 20:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, you could keep the insulin in a bag or something, right? Inject inside a stall?

My advice still stands. Google up the ADA and read it. It's there to protect the rights of people with disabilities, not the sensibilities of people who are easily offended by people with disabilities. There are probably people you can call with your questions.

I just googled "american disabilities act insulin" and found this: http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/diabetes.html

I'd suggest printing it out and taking it to work with you.

You can always get an insulated lunch pail and some of that portable ice stuff, right? Not ideal, but until you work things out at work...

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Mar-22-12 at 20:33.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 06:16
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdithBoyd
Because one of them came in the bathroom when I was injecting. They see the in insulin the fridge also. I'm told they are uncomfortable with it.

Does the ADA specifically say that an employee can keep insulin in the fridge? Does it specifically say I can take an injection at work? What about if people are offended by it?

You have a disability and you need to take treatment. Your health under law is the priority over another person's 'uncomfortable feelings'. It would be like telling someone to wear a mask because they had an unsightly facial scar, or insisting someone with a limb missing wore a prosthetic because people felt 'uncomfortable' - except in your case its worse as you need insulin and testing in order to live and stay healthy.

I don't know about the law in the US, but can't imagine on this issue it would be all that different from the UK, where employers have to make reasonable adjustments to accomodate the person with the disability or health issue - the person with the disability doesn't make the accomodation to deal with the ignorance and prejudice of colleagues. Were I in your position, I'd feel really angry.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 10:55

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Print out the suggested ADA page and stick it on the fridge. On planes I have decided that it is not appropriate to ask if someone is uncomfortable with my testing and injecting insulin. I do it drawing as little attention as possible. It is my business. No one objects, nor do they comment. Neither do I.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 12:28

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Maybe see if there is an office you could use for more privacy? I would consider that an upgrade from the bathroom, and no one has a chance to be offended. Oh, and your own personal mini fridge in your new space so your medication you require to stay alive and productive doesn't offend anyone. I don't really see how anyone with an ounce of common sense could even ask that of you.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 12:41
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

If you know who this uncomfortable person is, I would sit down and have a chat with him/her. Not to take them to task...I'd be friendly, polite, but educational. (But secretly, I can't imagine what a lunkhead he or she must be.)
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 04:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The person who told you to remove your supplies must have missed every basic manager training session. As Nancy suggests, take a copy of that section of ADA to HR or to higher management and request a private area for testing and all reasonable accommodations you require, which would certainly include keeping insulin refrigerated. Put it in a different box..how would "uncomfortable" know what it is unless she went snooping in other's lunches? I am sorry this happened and you have to even bother with showing a law to your manager when basic commonsense and decency should have been sufficient.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 13:36
Registered Member

BF:

You can bet I won't be given my own office or a mini fridge to keep my supplies cool. Athough that would be great!

I am told it's numerous employees with different levels of uncomfortableness and complaints about insulin in the fridge or me taking injections in the bathroom. I am also told I am not to say anything to anyone that works there about this matter, just to comply with the changes I am asked to make.

I'm thinking if I test, eat and take insulin before I leave home of the mornings then stick to very low carb/high fat foods for lunch and snacks I can get by without any insulin and not have to be concerned about a blood sugar spike. I could have a low but can take glucose tabs for that.
Then when I come home I can test again and take insulin with dinner and long acting at bedtime.

That's the plan for right now.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 14:29
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-

since you asked....

This is NOT okay. That is what the ADA is for- you are an ADA poster child. You have diabetes. You need insulin. Insulin needs to be refridgerated. You need to test your BG. That is reality. Finished. You are not supposed to make other people comfortable. This is your LIFE and your HEALTH we are talking about. This is not kindergarden and it is not circle time to talk about feelings.

You can go the the HR manager, without any names, and tell them what you were told and give them the ADA sheets linked to above. You can tell them you would like a minifridge for your insulin and that you will test and inject in a private area of your choosing.

You can hire an attorney and sue. You will win.

You can call the hotline number for the EEOC (there is supposed to be a poster someplace at work) and make an confidential report. The Federal government will then investigate. If this is found to be true you will probably be offered a financial settlement and the employer will be fined.

This is not easy but neither is being a diabetic. I am not an attorney but I am aware of the laws.

I am so sorry this is happening to you- but YOU do not have to fix anything. THEY do-

please tell us what happens.

E

Last edited by Enomarb : Sat, Mar-24-12 at 14:35.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 16:32

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Please don't risk your health to bend to someone's silly notions about what makes them uncomfortable. I don't think your boss realizes how serious this situation is. Take it higher up, there's no reason for you to be treated this way.