Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 09:45

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Foods to avoid or incorporate?

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid earlier this week by a MD/Alternative-Holistic doctor.

He diagnosed me by history, symptoms and exam. I have started on Armour Thyroid 15mg for 1 week. If I do fine, I will increase to 30 mg for 1 week and have my follow up with him the following week.

I went to him with muscle aches and joint pain. I have been cold natured for a very long time (when others are hot). My hands are frequently cold. My skin is dry and I have had some hair loss that's more than normal.

I started having health problems January of this year and so far blood work, nerve study and brain MRI (possibility of MS) were all normal.

I am not overweight by any means (5' 1/2 and 110#). My mom and dad both had/have thyroid problems.

The main thing he told me diet wise, is to cut back on seeds and nuts. I eat low carbs and of course, nuts, seeds, almond flour are a main stay in my diet.

I have been reading on the internet and getting mixed messages on what to eat and not to eat. I like stir fry vegetables-usually zucchini, cabbage, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and sometimes a bell pepper. I have read that I shouldn't be eating too much cabbage and zucchini. I can have it, but limit portions and make sure it's cooked. Has anyone been told this or follow this advice? My doctor didn't mention it.

Quote:
Some foods, especially cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower) contain natural goitrogens, compounds that can cause the thyroid gland to enlarge by interfering with thyroid hormone synthesis.

I don't eat soy, but keep reading how soy should be avoided.

Since I eat low carb, I want to stick to that type of lifestyle. I have been eating low carbs for 11 months now.
Sponsored Links