Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Vital Wheat Gluten?

Dear Karen,

I have a question that nobody has been able to answer for me for the nearly two years I've been eating low carb - what is vital wheat gluten? I can buy just plain "wheat gluten" at the local organic food store, but they don't know what the "vital" part means. Can I use plain wheat gluten in a recipe that calls for it?

If you can solve this mystery, I will be forever grateful.

Karen D.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 22:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm not karen, but a quick google search reveals these links that might help:

So what's the difference between Bread Machine Flour, High Gluten Flour & Vital Wheat Gluten Flour?

and

What is VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN?

Also, Vital wheat gluten is sometimes the same as vital wheat gluten flour. Dana Carpender says this about it in her 500 Low_carb Recipes book:

Quote:
Buying vital wheat gluten can be a problem, however, because the nomenclature is not standardized. Some packages call this "vital wheat gluten" or "pure gluten flour" whereas others simply call it "wheat gluten." Still others call it "high gluten flour." (blah blah blah - some i cut out, tired of typing lol) .... To make sure you're getting the right product, you'll want to read the label. The product you want, regardless of what the package calls it, will have between 75-80 percentage protein, or about 24 grams in 1/4 cup. It will also have a very low carbohydrate count, somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 grams in that same 1/4 cup.

Hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:21

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your reply, Kharma, but unfortunately, it just emphasizes what my problem is. I have already looked at the links you gave me and found myself confused by what I read - your comment and your quote from Dana Carpender explaining that vital wheat gluten is SOMETIMES the same as vital wheat gluten flour" is what has me confused, as some of my recipes call for "vital wheat gluten" and then specify "not wheat gluten flour," but these links seem to treat it as all the same thing, and the organic food store, which is the only place I've been able to find "wheat gluten" doesn't have a nutritional label on the package. I've asked at the store twice, and was told by one clerk that "wheat gluten" is the same as "wheat gluten flour" and by another that they're two different products, so that was no help. It's all very confusing!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 01:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If there is no labelling, be on the safe side and cut to the chase. With Bob's Red Mill - the picture is in the first link - you can be sure that you are getting what you want. Check in a few grocery stores in the baking section and they most likely will have it. You can also order it from the website

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

I know. It's a big pain that labelling is not standard to make it clearer. You could also talk to the manager of the store and ask them to get in touch with the supplier for the nutritinal info for you.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:39

BF:
Progress:

Thank you, Karen - I'll do that.

Karen D.