Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 14:37

Plan: Me-atkins/hubby-metabolic
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Switching

Well, I'm switching to a lo carb WOE not listed here! It's called The Metabolic Diet. We are switching because we've found that with the heavy work outs my husband does 20 carbs isn't nearly enough for him to start out on. He's a weight lifter and he needs more than that or he feels bad and cannibalizes his muscles. He already lost almost ten pounds just cutting out some sugar and carbs, so I'm sure he can up safely and lose fine. I'm starting work outs too and feel a little better on higher carb on work out days. This new diet is more formulated for people in our positions--but still low carb--it's customized to each person. I'll still stop in for ideas though!

One thing we are doing for sure is NEVER EATING REFINED AGAIN! No white flour, rice or sugar except on the VERY rare occasion and none til the weight is GONE. I grind my own grains so that helps. Anyway, I've learned quite a bit just lurking!

Thanks,

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

I am not familiar with that particular plan and do wish you success in your endeavors.

Carrollee
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I wish you both success with your switch.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 16:14

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

You have to do what works for you. Since most people gain muscle tissue on this woe, i'm surprized that your husband would be losing his. Are you sure he was eating enough fat? It takes 2 to 3 weeks to switch over to fat burning, so you may feel weaker for a short time, but this should pass. Nyah Levi
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 16:35

Plan: Me-atkins/hubby-metabolic
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%

Most people DO gain muscle, but most people don't already have the muscle mass of my husband when starting this diet. :-)

Weight lifters have different bodies. He's overweight, no question. But he can bench 355 and he wants to bench 405. A lot of his weight is muscle. He has a goal weight in the 240 range at a height of 5' 11" For most people that would be too fat. But not for him! He would be thin at that weight--and he'll reassess there and see if he can stand to lose more.

That amount of muscle requires a much larger store of glycogen in the muscle for healing between work outs. We've been reading some fitness research on low carb, and we do think it's a great way to lose weight. In fact, I could probably do great on atkins with just a few more carbs on work out days, and I might continue doing just that. But "low carb" for him is just not quite as low as 20 grams a day. Because the body will also turn protien into glycogen if he doesn't have enough his body might turn to his muscles to get the glycogen for healing, or that's what I think I'm reading. (Hard to decipher all the jargon). He will probably be able to lose steady at a much higher carb intake. And like I said we'll be using ONLY low-glycemic carbs to stabalize his insulin, which we think has been a big problem. He's also taking high doses of glutamine.

But my husband was having a hard time on Atkins working out. There was no glycogen in his muscles to heal him between work outs. He was ill with a cold and not healing (untypical for him) and he felt sluggishly weak. And he also got a tweak in his shoulder which he felt might be due to lowering his carb and still working out. He's upped his carb intake today and is still in ketosis. That tells me he had some room to work with. And he feels MUCH better. Basically he's doing low carb, it's just "pumped up" low carb more modified to his needs. I'll probally continue at close to induction levels--just slightly higher on work out days. We'll post more info about the diet in the "other diets" forum when we get more info. It looks like a good plan and it's from the perspective of a Dr. who is a professional powerlifter.

Kay
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 16:48
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/125
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Hello, Kay!

I read the Metabolic Diet book (at least most of it) a while ago and found it fascinating. My former trainer from the gym swears by it and loaned it to me.

I should probably read it again, now that I realize how my horrible hi-carb eating habits had harmed me! I have been on Atkins for 3+ weeks now and feel so much better. But I haven't started back on serious weight training yet. I have had the same concerns as you regarding muscle rebuilding and low carbing.

My SO has started weight training again, and he has done considerable research. Between listening to him and reading the book, I should be able to make an educated decision regarding how to balance my low carb eating with weight training.

Thanks for all your input and I wish you much success!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:18
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

There is no doubt that the nutritional needs of athletes is different than the nutritional needs of the general public. I wish you and your husband well on the Metabolic diet. If I ever get my lazy butt back into a gym maybe I'll read it, it sounds interesting.

Arnie