Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 05:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Could you pleaseshare your experiences of switching from Atkins to the SBD?

Hi everyone,

I am considering switching over from Atkins to SBD. I have been doing Atkins for 10 weeks now and apart from a 4 lbs loss during induction and 2 or 3 lbs I've been yo yo-ing with after that, I really haven't seen the results I was hoping for.

During those 10 weeks I have been following induction very strictly. My only planned cheat during that period was a recent few glasses of red wine at dinner once. Other than that, a clean by the book induction.

What can I expect switching to phase 1 of SBD? I'm not expecting the initial whoosh of water weight because that has already happened with Atkins. But is there anything else you can share about your experience and general feeling about the SBD?

I need to read the book starting today before I start. I can never start anything without reading eveything I can on a subject, but I thought I'd try to begin modifiying my induction as of today. Lowering the fat and so on. Any tips there to get me started?

Thanks....I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (P2)
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 35%

There's a thread just below you that talks about a lot of the stuff you're asking about - it's at
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171669

Hopefully that'll answer some of your questions.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:59

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Definitely search the threads. I found several on this topic which encouraged me to switch to the SBD. I am on day 1 of phase II. I did atkins induction and made the switch. So far so good but I have eaten wayyy to many nuts which are allowed on the sbd.

There is also a thread called phase I which list exactly what you can eat. Goood Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thanks guys. I bought the book this morning and I'm about a 1/4 way through right now. What he writes really makes sense. I also like that he's very gracious to Atkins, Pritikin et al while still respectfully disagreeing with some of their philosophies.

Wow, what I specifically wanted to know from "switchers" is this: Did you switch and just keep gradually losing or was their a little hiatus where you lost nothing and even gained or did you get the whoosh that new LCers get when they begin dieting for the for first time?

I guess I'm wondering what I may be expecting reasonably over the next 2 weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:15

Plan: lc plan
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 0'0
BF:
Progress: 86%

I too was thinking of switching to atkins. I just am not "into" atkins anymore. I miss things like the occasional yogurt and I really don't like lots of fatty meats and grease. I also like how phase II does include the fruits. I have been off and on of atkins for something like a year and a half now and have heard good things about the SBD. i am looking into making hte switch so i was glad to see this post!