Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 10:43

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Recovering from statins?

My question is has anyone used statins, had side effects, especially cognitive deficit's, and gone off the statins? If so, how long did it take to see improvements in regaining normal cognitive function?

My partner was put on statins after his stroke last July. He has since lost a lot of weight on low carb eating, his blood pressure is normal, his A1 C is normal, and his cholesterol numbers are quite low.

But in my opinion he is showing cognitive deficit's. It is difficult to know whether these are after-effects of the stroke, which did impact his brain's language center, or if they are because of the statins. But they are getting quite scary. It seems to me that is sometimes completely losing memory, is not focusing the way he did before his stroke, his reaction times are slow, and sometimes he just plain doesn't make any sense. The neurologist was firm that he had to stay on the statins, but I think he needs to go off them, at least to see whether or not his mental function improves.

He is a 59-year-old white male, obviously with a history of stroke. So he falls into that one category that even people who hate statins accept as appropriate statin users. And obviously, we are both terrified of another stroke.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 12:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

CoQ10 is THE supplement of choice, but the benefits of statins are exaggerated and the downsides, considerable.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.c...de-Effects.html
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 12:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

More about Dr. Stuart Graveline, now sadly gone:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/...uane-graveline/

The best I can tell you is that inflammation is the enemy, and there are far safer ways to lower inflammation than statins.

For instance, I take niacin, as described on this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476273
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 13:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I plugged "recovering from statin induced dementia" in Google and got a lot of hits. I don't have time to read them at the moment though.

http://whitakerwellness.com/health-...in-memory-loss/

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, May-24-17 at 13:57.