Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-18, 23:28
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb under 30
Stats: 289/267.8/190 Male 6ft1inch
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Hi from Vancouver

I'm a processed food, fast food and sugar addict. I was lucky until my late 20s, I was never overweight. But it caught up pretty quick after my 28th birthday. I ballooned from 185 pounds to 280 in about 6 years. When I was 34 I lost most that weight, down to 200 pounds in just over a year. No candy, no fast food no potatoe chips and excessive exercise. I also was eating only about 1800 calories a day, and meditating and focusing on goals. But I was hungry a lot.

3 months ago I was 290 pounds, gained it all back and more. I'm still pretty active, but my weight just keeps piling on. The past five years it goes like this... I diet in spring and summer, but can only loose about 20 pounds, by Christmas i have usually gained 25 pounds back. I have juiced, counted calories, thyroid checked, worked out 7 days a week, and it does not seem to matter, I just keep getting bigger.

I have been hearing "keto" diet from random people over the past month and I finally looked it up a few days ago. I came to dietdoctor.com starting reading success stories...im skeptical but feel I need to give this a shot, an honest try. I am now 3 days into my 2 week challenge. So far so good.

I look forward to researching and learning from all of you.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 03:03

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome GeorgeK, you have found a fabulous place for support and info, take your time and find your way around the forum, read, read and then read some more.

I suggest that you start your own Journal, so that other members can drop by ans visit you and you will have a place to voice your concerns and chart your success. Best of luck to you on this journey, we will be watching....

Drop by my journal sometime, I love company, have a positive day, ttyl
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/230/185 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 65%

Welcome George. You have come to a great place for support & advice. Your story sounds so much like mine. I yo yo’d for years but always ended a little heavier in the end. Luckily I found LCHF in September of 2016. So far I am down 75 pounds & have been able to maintain it. I still am in the weight loss part of my journey. Trust me this works. Look forward to reading about your successful journey.

Chris
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 10:28

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi George and welcome.

I suggest you consider at least skimming through a journal by a member here who goes by the name of khrussva. Khrussva (Ken Russell) has posted his story on DietDoctor so you may have already read that.

But he's been a member and posting here since he was still well over 350 lbs. I think he started his journal when he dropped to 350 but he'd been posting on other threads for a couple of months before that. So those of us who have been around awhile WATCHED his journey from 440 lbs down to being a normal weight.

The reason I suggest reading his journal is because, while the summarized jounney's of success that appear on DietDoctor can be inspirational, there is NOTHING like reading the day-to-day journey - and the REAL ups-and-downs - as written someone who is still in the middle of the process. You realize that while you know the outcome of their diet experiment, at the time they were writing, THEY really were right where you are now...with all the same questions and concerns.

Don't know about you but I always scoffed at the those "I lost X pound on ____" stories and photos that appear everywhere because 90% of the time, the before and after photos don't even look like the same person. Plus, we all know that photos can be easily photo-shopped. Much harder to disbelieve a story written over a period of YEAR, with every entry date-stamped.

Ken is a fine writer AND he is so open and honest. He's actually on journal #2 . Admins closed his first journal when it went way over 3000 posts...so you're probably only want to skim thru it rather than reading every word.

There are a number of other, equally inspiring journals here on lowcarber.org but Ken's is one you'll definitely relate to.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 11:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Chris
Welcome George. You have come to a great place for support & advice. Your story sounds so much like mine. I yo yo’d for years but always ended a little heavier in the end. Luckily I found LCHF in September of 2016. So far I am down 75 pounds & have been able to maintain it. I still am in the weight loss part of my journey. Trust me this works. Look forward to reading about your successful journey.

Chris

Thanks Chris and Congrats on the 75! I hope to have similar results down the road.

Cheers
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 11:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Hi George and welcome.

There are a number of other, equally inspiring journals here on lowcarber.org but Ken's is one you'll definitely relate to.

Thank you. I did read his success story and to be honest it made me emotional and really is why I began this Journey 4 days ago. I will definitely read his journal.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 11:44

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
I have been hearing "keto" diet from random people over the past month and I finally looked it up a few days ago. I came to dietdoctor.com starting reading success stories...im skeptical but feel I need to give this a shot, an honest try. I am now 3 days into my 2 week challenge. So far so good.

Welcome to the forum, George.

You are now where I was about 2.5 years ago, giving this LC thing a try despite not being fully convinced at first that it would make a difference. Fast forward to now, and... I'm still here.

As Bev said, Ken's journal is definitely one to follow. You may have read his success story on Diet Doctor; mine's there as well. Feel free to look around, there are plenty more success stories to be found here too.

Looking forward to following your own adventures in your journal. All the best.