Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/160/126 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%
Wink 4 Grain and Seed Bread

I've been looking for a hassle free bread for a while now and I decided to buy Dr Atkins New Diet Cookbook to see if it would help me be more adventurous in the kitchen. Well it has, and any of you who have also bought this cookbook will have noticed the 4 Grain and Seed Bread.

Today I had a go and made it. Well, it is absolutely gorgeous to say the least! Only problem is, it dosen't make much in the recipe. It says to put into a small loaf tin....and it means SMALL! Mine didn't rise much at all and can't really be cut into slices cos it's just so thin, but I've got some buns baking in the oven as I write this, so I'll pop back and let you know how they go.

So, enough of the gabbing...here's the recipe:

1 tbls plain flour
1 tbls wholewheat flour
1 tbls maize flour
1 tbls sesame seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, separated
2 tsp sugar substitute
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
2 tbls full fat ricotta cheese
30g butter
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbls pumpkin seeds.

Preheat oven to 180 C (gas 4).

Mix flours, sesame seeds and baking powder together. Beat in egg yolks. Sprinkle with sugar substitute and seaseoned salt. Mix cheese with butter in another bowl. Add dry ingredients to cheese mixture and blend well.
Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Fold into cheese mixture.
Spoon into a SMALL, oiled loaf tin (I oiled mine with butter). Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and bake for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Total Grams carb: 24.6
Grams per servng: 2.1
makes 12 slices

Good luck and happy cooking!! This is a really nice loaf, even if it does turn out really thin, you may not be able to make sandwiches, but it's a gorgeous snack!i
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 04:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/160/126 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%

So the buns didn't rise either, but they are obviously thicker than the bread loaf and really do make a nice bready snack. They are still possible to cut in half too so you could make miniture sandwiches.

I'm probably making this sound rubbish, but, believe me...it's not!!! lol