Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 10:04

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Curried Tofu, Mushroom and Pepper Scramble

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe031.html

Hi Karen

Hello there.
Please could you tell me why the fibre is subtracted from the carbs, and do we have to do this on all things? In the UK on the nutrition information on the products packaging, it does say fibre but not that it is subtracted, so do I have to subtract?

for e.g. on my quorn fillet box it says:-
energy kcal = 86
protein = 13.1g
carbo = 4.9g
of which sugars = 1.6g
fat = 1.5g
of which saturates = 0.4g
cholesterol = nil
fibre = 4.9g
sodium = 0.5g

Your recipes sound absolutely delicious - I am looking for inspiration and ideas, for I love cooking and I adapt the meat or fish ones for either tofu or quorn (micro protein) for veggie option. (adjusting the carb count to a bit higher cos I have to add whatever the veggie product is)

Thank you for such scrummy ideas, oh and can you tell me what devilled eggs are (I have come across the term in the atkins new rev diet book and couldn't find the recipe....) sorry if this is not the place to ask!

Kind regards
Fi

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 10:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

In the previous edition of Atkins, it was debatable if subtracting fiber was allowed. It was only mentioned once, in a very small way - in the maintenance chapter. In the new edition it's alllowed, but he explains it in a very convoluted kind of way.

In Protein Power, subtracting the fiber grams was always the norm.

Fiber has no food value and does not affect you as a carbohydrate would, so that's why it is subtracted. YOu will see this - ECC - in some conversations. ECC is the effective carb count, or carbs minus fiber. Subtracting fiber allows you more eating possibilities, so subtract away!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 02:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default labelling differences

Two things:
(1) The calories from the fat, protein and carbs don't add up, Fine, on that label info you have provided for the quorn (which is a new ingredient to me! sounds interesting!). If you use the Hidden Carb calculator via Tools on the menubar above, you will get an accurate "effective" carb count, which would be the true digestible (as Karen has said) carbs after fiber carbs have been subtracted from the TOTAL carbohydrates. Which leads to the 2nd thing.
(2) carbohydrates (digestible) and fiber (not digestible) carbohydrates are GENERALLY not calculated together in Total Carbohydrates on non-North American labels, but separately. In effect, they are pre-subtracted (when they're accurate, that is :lol. A quick way to be "warned" is that the international label will show counts for 100grams rather than for a widely-varying serving size as in North America.

Sorry, it's a bit complicated seeming, but truly, remember this... always check the carb counts against the calorie counts AND if it's 100g labelling, the fiber's probably PRE-subtracted so extra vigilance is needed.

Hope this is help than hindrance!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 03:33

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thank you very much Karen and Island Girl, I appreciate the answers....it certainly does help!

Island Girl, quorn is a micro protein product originated from the mushroom family (I think). It is quite a bland product but you can tart it up with sauces and spices and herbs. (yes I do omit the sauces). It has been on the market in the UK for plus minus 4/5 years (I may be wrong there) You can find it in minced meat form, pieces, sausages and fillets, the fillets being about the size of a small chicken breast.

Not a lot of people like it as it tastes cardboardy but I don't mind it at all, basically cos that is all I can eat along with tofu and tvp as a meat substitute.

I do have another question though....about the devilled eggs...?
Is it stuffed eggs? yolk taken out and mashed with whatever and placed back inside the whites?

Take care and have a good week
Fi
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 18:45
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking WONDERFUL

I made this recipie this evening. All I can say is YUM!!!!

I love my food spicey, so I threw in some red pepper flakes. This was a great change of pace and I love curry.

This would also be good at breakfast!

As usual, thanks for the great recipies Karen!