Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/206/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Yoga

Heya!!!

I really don't like conventional exercise such as running, cycling etc because I have really dodgy knees and even moderate pressure (ie, using an exercise bike) makes them really sore and occasionally lock My doctor can only prescribe Ibuprofen pills which make me sick (allergic to the coating) and Ibugel doesn't work on me. Recently I've been reliant on the amount of walking I do and the fact that I work two extremely action packed days at the weekend in a busy store to keep my exercise going.

However, I was wondering, does anyone else here use yoga as a method of exercise? I am unable to discipline myself enough to do regular aerobic exercise, and sit-ups etc just remind me of my old ED days.

I've heard that Yoga is very good for strengthening joints, toning muscle, and above all helping to burn fat. Would it be a good idea to start basic Yoga and does anybody know where I can get a good beginners pack (mat, book etc) from? There's so many I have no idea what's any good!!!

Cheers guys!

~*Judey*~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 04:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I love yoga and use it to implement my fitness routine (power walking and weights), especially as it is, as you say, great for strengthening and toning.

Larger Boots stores sell a beginners yoga kit, which contains a mat, blocks etc.

... also, suggest you try one of Barbara Currie's yoga videos or DVDs - her Seven Secrets of Yoga is great for a beginner - it's one that I use on a regular basis between classes.

Have a look here as well, as you might prefer one of her other videos instead.

Quote:
I really don't like conventional exercise such as running, cycling etc because I have really dodgy knees

I have dodgy knees too (plus I hate jogging), but have found that walking has really helped to strengthen them
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 05:46
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Yup..knees like exploded marshmallow here. I did yoga for a few months last year, but since I have the attention span of a goldfish I started to get bored even though I felt great. I did find that holding poses got harder the longer I LCed.

Argos now do a cheap yoga starter kit including blocks. http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...productId=85291
However, I suspect the yoga mat is just a standard exercise mat, probably no good if you intend to start classes at anytime.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 12:06

Stats: 123/118/110 Female 5 ft 2.5 ins
BF:24%/23%/20%
Progress: 38%

Yoga is fantastic; has been so brilliant for me. Not only great for toning (but the muscle you build is 'lean' as opposed to bulky like you see sometimes on people who spend too much time in the gym!), but also a great challenge, and good to do something you can feel yourself getting better and better at... I started out with a video (Antonia Kidman Astanga yoga vid, which is quite good - i still do it quite often when i can't get to a class.) Definitely go for it; and don't be put of if it's a little difficult at first - you will get stronger really quickly, and more flexible, so stick with it... Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 09:21
Registered Member

Stats: 238/228/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 9%

I do yoga about twice a week..I find it really helps to tone up and is a supprisingly good work out...it really helps with posture and balance and stregnth...I would recomemnd trying to do some other type of exercise too like swimming as its low impact on your limbs and joints...Hope this helps,.....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 14:35
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Last edited by LondonIan : Mon, May-31-04 at 14:41.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 15:52

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

LOL Ian, I do enjoy a downward facing dog

If anyone is unsure as to whether to try yoga or not, then this article Material girl bends over backwards might convince you of its benefits