Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How often do you cheat?
Never 251 29.53%
Once a day 49 5.76%
More than once a day 21 2.47%
Once per week 300 35.29%
Once per month 229 26.94%
Voters: 850. You may not vote on this poll

#181   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 10:21

Plan: my own
Stats: 206/167/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I don't think of it as cheating either. My weight didn't become a problem for me until I hurt my back in 1999. Up until that point I'd maintained my weight between 130-140lbs. because I was so active. Unfortunately, I kept eating my usual amount of food with no way to burn all of the calories. Add to that a big dose of feeling sorry for myself, and I ended up horribly over weight for the first time in my life.

Food and cooking has always been enjoyable for me, and for me not to cook the meals my family enjoys for the holidays (I was married at 16 so I've been cooking a long time), would make life way too dull.

I'm married for the second time, and my new hubby loves this lo-carb way of life, so I don't forsee any problems once I reach my goal weight. I'll have to watch the potatoes, corn, and gravies, (sweets aren't my thing), but I've been retraining myself to limit those to once in awhile.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 01:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/176/165 Male 177cm
BF:
Progress:
Talking

I tend to cheat once every 2 weeks. Strangely enough that happens to coinside with my weekend access with my kids
Not that i feed them up on sugary stuff, simply that i cook more traditional style meals and may have the odd take out
  #183   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 03:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins- 29-08-04
Stats: 194/165/132 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 47%

i tend to cheat once a week or two now. i just have a very small mini choc bar. only done it a couple of times so far but the next day i've lost a pound so i'm not going to feel guilty about it!
  #184   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (60 carbs)
Stats: 150/150/000 Male ?? (12, above-avg male)
BF:
Progress: 0%

We use the Somersize program on Lev. 2, so we cheat, but little more then the program allows
  #185   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'2''
BF:23%/22.5%/18
Progress: 70%
Thumbs up Treat/ cheat

It depends on what are you talking bout cheating.

Every week I have a big big rack of ribs (with a little bit of plain bbq sauce)

I am planning to have pecan pie or milk jam cheescake soon, but since I came back from vacation (where I had a big feast of carby stuff) I have never had real sugar.

Agua
  #186   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/cycling
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:25%/23%/20%
Progress: 0%

I have to say that I really have no desire to cheat. I mean, I have only been doing this WOE for a couple weeks (although have done Atkins for a while last year), and maybe it is too soon to really say. But since I am satiating myself with fat and protein, I just no longer crave for sweets or even carbs.

I feel as if I have gained control over my eating, finally, and I can eat when I am hungry, and never have to deprive myself in order to lose weight. It truly is a GREAT feeling. I am so determined to lose this weight that I have wanted to lose and have been preoccupied with losing for SO LONG. I feel like I have control and can do it this time, I AM doing it this time, once and for all.

When I lose sight of the goals and promises that I have made to myself, I just remind myself: "I will keep my mind, body, and soul in balance." And then I realize that I want to respect my body and treat it properly, and I do.

Good luck to all!
  #187   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 19:47

Plan: Low Glycemic
Stats: 298/300/125 Female 5'3"
BF:Too much!
Progress: -1%

Chairface, you lost 121 lbs. in 7 months?? Zowie
  #188   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairface
Personally I think cheating would be my downfall. If I cheated just once, it would be so easy to do it again and again. Hopefully I'll be cheat free for the rest of my life, and I don't have any plans of ever planning a cheat... food has finally taken its rightful place in my life... fuel. I can get enjoyment out of so many things now, food is way down that list.

Of course this is my feelings only... if you can have your cake and eat it too then go to it!

I'm in 200% agreement with Nelson... If you're going to cheat, why diet?
If you're looking for cheat days, why bother struggling with trying to lose weight?

Doesn't sound logical to me.

Although....... I'm leaving for Ireland next week, and I have no clue what kind of foods to expect there..... hopefully, I'll be true to myself.
  #189   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 19:28
Registered Member

Stats: 200/190/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Since I define what cheating means and since I define what overindulgence means the answer to the poll is that I almost never cheat.

I do bake my own low to moderate carb desserts and breads sometimes. To me, cheating means that I knowingly put my goals at risk.

Usually these cheats are in circumstances where other goals prevail. For instance I am a board member of an important committee. They have chosen to meet in a bakery restaurant. They have chosen to eat there because most of them are fat carb addicts. Since being effective at the meeting, networking and getting along with people serve essential ecomonic goals I will probably force myself to eat some tiramasu.

This is a penalty I am prepared to pay.
  #190   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 22:03

Plan: 20 per day
Stats: 235/205/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 40%

To be honest, lately much more that I mean to!!! For me it seems once I as you say "cheat", it's really hard to get back on track. I used to think that once I reached my goal I would give myself weekends off. Hmm, starting to think that's not such a good idea. I've lost the same lousy five pounds three times now and it's getting old real fast! lol

Cissie
  #191   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 22:58

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've cheated 3 times since starting. Thanksgiving dinner, two pastries my aunt and uncle brought over, and some vietnamese food which included some white rice.
  #192   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 16:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i feel horrified when i hear of people talking of cheating as if it is a part of the program. it's not. if it works for you, i'm happy for you. but i thought the purpose of the atkins lifestyle was just that ..a new lifestyle. not binge eating and then back to the lcing in a couple of days. i try to stay strong and i love you guys who are responding back honestly about what the lcing (Atkins) has to offer...a variety of lc desserts, a stable metabolism, better health, etc. i am sticking to my guns and the plan..i have cheated for years that's why i look like a do now. i now have the willpower to finally say "no thank you" when the food is in front of me. and isn't cheating the reason some people say, this lcing does not work. for those with lots of willpower who have been where i want to go.. please continue to help support those who close their ears when they read about acceptable cheating. lol i love you guys and your input. thanks for continuing to write.
  #193   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 15:51
Registered Member

Stats: 192/178/160 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

In the beginning I'll "cheat" about once per week with a small scoop of ice cream. I'm a touch lactose intolerant and it always seems to help without having to hunt down those phyllum husks. Once I'm out of induction I "cheat" a little less, about once or twice a month. I'll go out with a few people from the office to this great little mexican restaurant in town, and have a couple margaritas with dinner. It helps me not to feel so restricted and it hasn't affected my weight loss (in the past anyway, I'm starting over). Talking to a doctor, he feels that a day once in a while to eat what you want really helps to keep people on this WOL and he has fewer people falling off the wagon.
  #194   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 15:10

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

i cheat TOO Often! If I had better willpower I would try to cheat only once or twice per year!
  #195   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 15:27
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

In the sense of giving in to cravings, I don't cheat. I have a planned indulgence maybe 4-5 times per year, coinciding with major family holidays/events. The indulgence is generally a glass of wine with dinner and a dessert. I try to keep it small enough that it's unlikely to cause big water weight gain and cravings the next day.

Wyv