Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How often do you cheat?
Never 251 29.53%
Once a day 49 5.76%
More than once a day 21 2.47%
Once per week 300 35.29%
Once per month 229 26.94%
Voters: 850. You may not vote on this poll

#166   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 00:06
Beautifully Chaotic

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Have not done it yet... but my son's birthday is this weekend... not that I plan to, I am getting all paranoid already about licking the frosting off my finger or the ice cream when doing the cake and ice cream... old habits
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 20:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/175 Male 82 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyC
One day a week I don't count (doctor's advise--I think CKD is similar, but they can have 2 days a week...

I do the same on Fitday too... great site. cheers
  #168   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 21:19
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote from the beginning of this thread:

Quote:

It really disturbs me that "Cheats" have become a very accepted component of this diet. People tend to think of "cheats" as something included /that's going to happen to everyone/during this eating style. I think we have to stop that. The only thing accurate about calling MISTAKES AND FAILURES "cheats" is that we are leading ourselves into THIS kind of thinking - "Oh, I cheated but it's okay - I'll get right back on tomorrow". If you abuse cheating this way (and you know who you are) you need to stop. Cheating is nothing but not following the diet and it shouldn't be considered a "normal" part of eating this way. Sure people make mistakes and have failures, but if you lighten the burden of not following the diet by calling it some kind of "cheat", like it doesn't really matter then you are only cheating yourself.
It does matter.
It's not "not following the diet". The "plan" makes allowances. Here's a direct quote:
Quote:

Does this mean you can't ever eat another piece of Grandma's pumpkin pie? If you were previously an uncontrolled carbohydrate addict with an obesity problem that only the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ has been able to cure, the answer is probably no. But if you were not addicted and have learned how to modify your behavior, then you might cautiously see if you can indulge occasionally without causing noticeable aftereffects.

Trigger foods—ones to which you are addicted—are the ones you can't stop eating, and they are the very foods you should not add back to your dietary regimen. It might be peanuts, chocolate, potato chips or something else. If you find you are always planning when you can have your next portion of that food, cut it out altogether, or be sure to have it just once a week, perhaps as a Friday-night treat. Only you know whether the first or the second strategy will work better for you. Remember, it's about what works.

If you aren't a carb addict, then you have room to maneuver. The occasional slice of pizza or ice cream cone just might be permissible.But be careful: Remember that five pounds above your goal weight is the maximum, then take yourself firmly in hand and get back on plan. A firm resolution to deal with weight regain immediately will serve you well.

That's all I had to say.

Last edited by Ladycody : Sun, Aug-29-04 at 23:01.
  #169   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 18:14
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%

Almost 7 months low-carbing now. No cheats at all. My birthday was easy, easter was tempting, but not too bad.

Christmas has me a little worried, but I am sure I'll get through it.

Personally I think cheating would be my downfall. If I cheated just once, it would be so easy to do it again and again. Hopefully I'll be cheat free for the rest of my life, and I don't have any plans of ever planning a cheat... food has finally taken its rightful place in my life... fuel. I can get enjoyment out of so many things now, food is way down that list.

Of course this is my feelings only... if you can have your cake and eat it too then go to it!
  #170   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 00:19
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

If you can cheat without cravings and other problems, more power to you. The closest I've come to cheating is overdoing it a bit on the LC cheesecake on my birthday.
  #171   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 07:34

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 181/181/125 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default A low cal. girl story

I worked with a girl who did atkins for 5 months and lost almost 60lbs. (where I got the idea to start) Now she eats a low calorie diet 6 days a week, on the 7th eats what she wants and exercises 6 days a week for an hour. She's lost 7 more pounds and has been off atkins for almost 6 months. It seems like most people are afriad to try to stop LC because they think they gain all the weight back. She didn't though. I guess it's just personal, if you want to be hungry more often but have a wider food selection than go low cal after you lose the weight. It's not like once you stop atkins you have to go out and have a large pizza, 3 sodas and half a cake. Just like everything else, you have to let your body adjust. Like my poor body, my stomach feels like it's full of rocks covered in slime from nothing but eggs, chicken, fish, pork, turkey, and 3 tiny cups of lettuce. BUT 5 POUNDS IN ONE WEEK IS ALL THE MOTIVATION I NEED.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 17:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I've always taken the approach that this is something I will do forever, and though I've given up many things, there are some things that I would just feel TOO deprived if I thought "I will never be able to eat this again". Most of it I find that over time "I've lost that lovin' feeling" for. For example, every summer we visit my family in Vermont, and I would usually allow myself a couple of servings of Ben and Jerry's. But this year, I didn't really even want it.

OTOH, every other month or so, I have either sushi or dim sum. I love them, and I'm not going to say "no sushi, ever again". Also, we have Thai food maybe once or twice a month and I'm sure there's sugar in the sauces, but I'm not going to obsess over it. I wouldn't eat the rice, though. And when I cook Asian food at home, of course, I make it without sugar.

For a very special occasion (my 50th birthday, our 15th wedding anniversary), I will have a small dessert when we go out, like creme brule'.

That's about it. I do cook low-carb treats, though.
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

i messed up, LARGE. while diligently following my atkins OWL plan (30 carbs per day) i was checking me ketosis and the thing wasn't turning pink. i cut out my 'extras' (atkins muffins, some of the cheese and such), still no pink. i was hungry all the time. no matter how much i ate. it didn't make sense.

this morning i got up and wondered if diet coke had more carbs in it than i thought. i consider them 'free' foods and drink 4-5 cans a day. we order from an online grocery service and got our delivery which included 4 cases of diet caffeine free coke. i pulled out a can from the fridge and for the first time really looked at the can. it was not caffeine free diet coke. it was caffiene free coke. fully sugared. 4-5 cans a day. since last thursday. god help me.

i am back on track. remarkably i did not gain any weight. just didn't lose any. 4-5 cans a day. 30 carbs per can. 150 extra carbs a day. since thursday. i feel like such a doofus.

it is a brand new week. moving right along.
  #174   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 305/255/200 Male 6' - 0"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default My Birthday

My birthday was September 14th. I planned my first cheat day since I started my low carb diet. I went to Pizza Hut and got a medium pan pizza with extra cheese, half mushrooms, half chicken. I thought that it would be so good eating it after 9 months of having no pizza at all. It was good, but not so good that I miss it a lot. I think I missed it more before, but now that I had it I don't really miss it that much anymore.

My wife made a Jewish apple cake for me and I had a piece of it too. Now that was really good and I will continue to miss it, but the low carb ice cream really helps with sweet cravings. I figure that I probably had about 300 carbs that day. I usually only have about 30-50 a day. I thought that I might gain some weight from that day and was prepared for it, but I didn't gain anything. It did slow my loss down a little though.
  #175   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-04, 23:08
Registered Member

Stats: 340/309/180 Female 5'9
BF:too/much/chub
Progress: 19%

About once a week I'll cheat, but it's with lc products like some Karb Karma ice cream from Ben and Jerry's or lc chocolate. I stay away from anything that's not legal.
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 16:20
Registered Member

Stats: 211/197.5/185 Male 69
BF:18
Progress: 52%
Default Eat to live, not the other way around...

Quote:
food has finally taken its rightful place in my life... fuel
This is very true Chairface, I like how you made that observation. We should all, no matter what diet, learn that we eat to live and not live to eat. Food is fuel, not a toy or a way to pass time. By eating to live, we can enjoy life to its fullest. By eating to live, we can engage in events that would otherwise be hindered if we were to stay home and stuff our faces. Nice.

Last edited by nyc10034 : Thu, Oct-14-04 at 16:35. Reason: Additional information...
  #177   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 16:59

Plan: atkins/Thurmond
Stats: 208/151.6/128 Female 5' 3"
BF:??/32.6%/25%
Progress: 71%

I tend to cheat once every 2-3 weeks- but usually only for one meal. The first time I cheated after losing 10 lbs and took a week to get back on track. Now I am much more in control and don't have a problem going back to eating lc. Last Sat. had cake, ice cream and long john silvers- my daughter's bday. But- I recovered pretty quickly and lost the weight I had gained- I just give myself a weight goal- not a time frame- before indulging again. My next goal is the new double crust/cheese pizza from dominos- when I hit 160- 12.5 lbs away!
  #178   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 15:00

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 181/181/125 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default Eat To Live??

I just had to say that I very much disagree with the previous reply about how you should only eat to live. Maybe yes, to some people who can't control the way they eat. I agree for the most part dieting, and denying yourself food to lose weight is great. Once you've kept your weight where you want it then why should you live a life where you can't enjoy wonderful confections, treats and dinners in nice resturants once in awhile. Self control and exercise can make a lifelong wonderful figure. Why should we think of food as the bad guy? Or as just a way to keep us alive when there are so many incredable dishes (low cal, low carb, low fat) and some full carb and full fat that we can share with people we love. I don't know about you, but come thanksgiving dinner I would love to sit down with my family and friends, share a beautiful meal prepared by people I love. It's worth it to me to run a few extra laps that week. I think if you view food as the enemy than you are letting food control your life. To say you will never think about it and just eat it as a means to live, you must be kidding yourself. Chocolate covered strawberries in bed with your spouse, pizza at your kids birthday party, christmas dinner with the awesome sweet potatos no one but your mom can make are just a few examples. What kind of life is it to miss out? Low-carb, low-cal, low-fat 98.5% of the time but live your life, enjoy your life. You can lose weight without being a food nazi. Don't call it cheating. Call it enjoying your life with the understanding that you'll have to put out a little more (for putting in a little more ) P.S.- I've lost 23lbs in 5 weeks Work-out! Work-out! Work-out! If you don't have the time, make the time. You'll have more energy (I swear you will, give it a week)
  #179   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 06:15

Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

At this point...never. The thought of cheating makes me ill so right now, I don't.
  #180   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 17:27

Plan: Atkins,Vegatarian,myself
Stats: 204.6/187/167.2 Female 178cm
BF:More than I want
Progress: 47%

I don't consider it cheating because I have made it part of my life to have an occaisional high carb meal. I am vegetarian and the only low carber in the family so when occaisions arrive(few and far between) when we go out for a meal to celebrate I usually have no option but to eat high carb. I will not go out to pay for a meal and order only salad which I could have had at home.So instead I have an enjoyable meal with my family and the next day it is back to normal with no guilt.