Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 15:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/177/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress:
Default 2 questions: Beans & hi versus low fat

Hi all, I am one week into the South Beach Diet (SBD) and have lost 3 pounds so far. Trying to educate myself and using the internet a lot for recipe ideas. I am noticing two things and would love some feedback:

1. I am having trouble finding many recipes using beans. I always thought beans were low glycemic and therefore SBD friendly. Is it that are still too high in carbs that folks tend not to eat them when trying to go low carb? I thought beans were considered to be "good carbs."

2. SBD has been called low carb, low fat. Yet I see a lot of people talking about low carb, high fat. I know SBD was originally created to promote cardiovascular health, so I get why they promote low fat. So what is the reasoning for going high fat on a low carb diet? And I know there are different sources of fat - are some preferred over others?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Theresa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/194/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I like beans but not by themselves. I love chili with different beans as I hate kidney beans. I also make a vegetable soup and add beans.
As for fat - I prefer higher fat as it keeps me fuller longer and usually higher fat contains less carbs as o make things low fat they sometimes add in "sugars"
Keep up the great progress!
ps... Not all fats are created equal. I use olive oil over corn oil, I eat butter over margarine, avocado over mayo on sandwiches.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 15:00

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I really miss beans, and on LCHF I won't eat anything that high carb -- even with a low glycemic index. I think the low fat fraud needs to end as too many studies are pointing to the actual detriment to cardiovascular health (Taubes), not to mention brain health (Perlmutter) when not getting enough fat in a natural form.

I'm looking into the Eden Farms black soy beans as an occasional substitute as they have 8 grams of carbs for 1/2 cup of bean, and 7 grams of fiber. I do count net carbs for "real food," but not for sugar alcohols, which I stopped eating anyway. I've seen some recipes for these beans where they have to cook them a lot, even though the canned ones come already cooked -- apparently they are harder and crispier than pinto beans. I say occasionally as I am hypothyroid and apparently shouldn't eat too much soy (I really need to look at this, as I'm not positive why).
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 05:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/177/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been cooking with olive oil and eating avocados and nuts - so there is some healthy fat. My dairy has been low fat so far, but I may experiment and use some higher fat options. The only beans I have had on SBD are garbanzo (chick peas) sprinkled on salads. I'm not a huge bean fan to start with, so I am not really "missing" them. But I do miss oatmeal! SBD lets you add in healthy whole grain carbs and fruit after Phase 2 - I know I will try small servings of steel cut oats and see if I can tolerate them.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/194/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I eat 1/2 a serving of steel cut oats with butter added and a fried egg and a meat for breakfast. I am losing slowly because of my coma situation but still losing.