Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 21:36
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%
Question How to cook Prime Rib Roast please

Just need the roasting in the oven ...don't want anything w/herbs or anything other than s & p.......need the cook time and temp. times. Just the good ol' fashioned rib roast deal. DH went to an actual ' meat market' (that is way outa the way for us) and got 2 rib roasts...just need to know how to prepare!! Wish I would of watched my mom more when I was young and stupid..

Thanks all!
Juli
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 22:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's a link to it in the Kitchen Talk FAQ

How to Cook Various Meats FAQ

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 22:54

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Here's a salt and pepper-only recipe that is so easy even I was able to follow it.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/...49049466587d66e
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 20:34
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

Thanks. Each site says defferent temps. (by quite alot) for taking the roast out. I love my meat mooing..so gonna shoot for the lesser. Can't wait!!
Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 23:33
Forum Founder

BF:

I use 115 F for medium rare prime rib. Remember to let it rest after taking it from the oven. Very important!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 23:40

Plan: not sure
Stats: 205/205/170 Female 163
BF:
Progress:
Default How to cook roast

Just put it in a roasting pan with about two inches of water...... salt, pepper, a whole onion laid in there, with a bay leaf......... set oven at 350 degrees and roast for about 3 hours..... depends on the size of course......open it now and then to see if the top is getting brown and check with a fork to see if it is tender........

I would like to know all the herbs and such to cooking a PRIME rib roast... I love all those flavors.

shirley
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 23:41

Plan: not sure
Stats: 205/205/170 Female 163
BF:
Progress:

Oh, you can also add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms in the pan and they will cook with the roast.... I usually add them about one hour before the roast will be done.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

How do you cook prime rib?

As little as possible.

Bruc
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 10:26

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Karen - ''115 F for medium rare prime rib'' do you really mean Fahrenheit? My oven's lowest temperature is 240F. Or are you talking INTERNAL temperature?

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Aug-28-05 at 10:47.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 12:51
Forum Founder

BF:

Internal temperature. As the meat rests, the temperature rises by about 10 degrees.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 15:02

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 175/148/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Best recipe in the world is Paula Deans' FOOLPROOF STANDING RIB ROAST. Buy five pound standing rib roast, salt, pepper, light garlic powder, turn over to 375 and cook for one hour. Turn off stove, DO NOT OPEN DOOR. thirty minutes before you eat, turn oven back on for up to 40 minutes.
Will be perfectly medium - medium rare.
Omg it's good....its perfection....

Last edited by Zoesmom372 : Sun, Jan-24-16 at 18:25. Reason: Typo
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 22:37

Stats: 268/234/200 Male 73 imches
BF:
Progress:

I cook 6-8 standing rib roasts a year and always use the same method:

Buy or make "English Prime Rib Rub" this is key to my roasts and I won't do one without this seasoning.

I also get a small ice chest or cooler and line the bottom with a bath towel then a couple layers of paper towel then a flexible cutting board.

I like cooking 3-rib roasts - I've done as small as 2 and as large as 6 but find 3 a nice size. I have my butcher lightly trim it and tie it. I ask them not to pre-cut the rib bones off or put in a plastic thermometer. Also when you're selecting a roast, go for a rounder one instead of flat and look for good marbling.

I preheat to 450 then turn oven off and turn top broiler on. I put roast in a glass Pyrex baking dish then put under the broiler for 15 mins. I take it out and put the drippings in a bowl for Yorkshire pudding. Then I transfer roast to a cutting board in the sink and coat liberally with English Prime Rib rub. I open the oven door while I do this and once cooled, put roast back in the pan and set oven temp to 325.

It's very important to use a good thermometer. I take mine out at exactly 118 degrees. This is about medium. I transfer it to the cooler and close it up. It can rest inside for a long while - at least 15 mins but up to 45.

Then I prepare my Yorkshire pudding. I have popover pans I like to use. Combine 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup milk, 4 eggs and pinch of salt. Put 1 tbsp of fat from roast in the bottom of each cup then heat oven to 450 and put popover pan in for 5 mins. When done, remove and fill half with batter. Put a drip pan under and put back in the oven for exactly 15 mins.

Enjoy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 23:31
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxvalley
I cook 6-8 standing rib roasts a year and always use the same method:

Buy or make "English Prime Rib Rub" this is key to my roasts and I won't do one without this seasoning.

I also get a small ice chest or cooler and line the bottom with a bath towel then a couple layers of paper towel then a flexible cutting board.

I like cooking 3-rib roasts - I've done as small as 2 and as large as 6 but find 3 a nice size. I have my butcher lightly trim it and tie it. I ask them not to pre-cut the rib bones off or put in a plastic thermometer. Also when you're selecting a roast, go for a rounder one instead of flat and look for good marbling.

I preheat to 450 then turn oven off and turn top broiler on. I put roast in a glass Pyrex baking dish then put under the broiler for 15 mins. I take it out and put the drippings in a bowl for Yorkshire pudding. Then I transfer roast to a cutting board in the sink and coat liberally with English Prime Rib rub. I open the oven door while I do this and once cooled, put roast back in the pan and set oven temp to 325.

It's very important to use a good thermometer. I take mine out at exactly 118 degrees. This is about medium. I transfer it to the cooler and close it up. It can rest inside for a long while - at least 15 mins but up to 45.

Then I prepare my Yorkshire pudding. I have popover pans I like to use. Combine 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup milk, 4 eggs and pinch of salt. Put 1 tbsp of fat from roast in the bottom of each cup then heat oven to 450 and put popover pan in for 5 mins. When done, remove and fill half with batter. Put a drip pan under and put back in the oven for exactly 15 mins.

Enjoy

Not really a good idea to leave a recipe for high carb Yorkshire puds on a low carb forum, but welcome to the board. Maybe you can come up with a low carb version?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-16, 06:50
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Best Prime Rib roasted totally immersed in kosher salt. And gray meat is crime against taste buds! Mooo.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-16, 12:43

Stats: 268/234/200 Male 73 imches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Not really a good idea to leave a recipe for high carb Yorkshire puds on a low carb forum, but welcome to the board. Maybe you can come up with a low carb version?

yea the Yorkshire pudding is for my children, guests and wife who still eats carbs. It's one of those dishes that's ideal with Prime Rib so I don't want to deprive anyone except myself. I'm more than happy to take an extra serving of prime rib for myself to compensate.