Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-18, 19:04

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Okay, didn't know about this. I'm not sure under what conditions (other than fasting) I would use this - certainly not like a blood glucose test. Even if I were insulin resistant, wouldn't the insulin levels very significantly depending on what I had eaten the day before? Or does it remain high?

But thanks for the info. I should have checked more thoroughly for posting.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 04:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Insulin tests at Direct to Consumer labs are only $30-$35. I have fasting BG drawn at the same time, can plug those two numbers into the HOMA-IR formula, or ideally, look for fasting insulin under 5. But as you said insulin can be impacted by how long fasted, foods eaten day before, etc. One year I fasted 18 hours and insulin dropped below normal (1.7?) so stick with the recommended 12-14hr.

Good that you are thinking of improving diet wherever you can, but I still wonder about the non-diet reasons you can have enlarged liver. The enzymes are normal, could the liver enlargemnet have occurred when you did have Hep C and been there all along? Go through any period you took NSAIDs? Could your livers have been fat before going LC and not recovered?

Your ultrasound results reminds me of the book by Dr Gilbert Welch, Over-Diagnosed:Making people Sick in the Pursuit of Health,...you're healthy, the enzyme levels are fine, liver seems to be functioning...but a test shows something maybe perfectly normal probably related to age that now worries you.

Another thought...have you read the radiologist's report yourself? You can get a copy of the ultrasound and the report, and should be able to talk to the radiologist directly. Get your top questions ready. They spend most of their day sitting in dark rooms...I have found them to be open and willing to talk to patients.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-23-18 at 05:18.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 13:50

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Insulin tests at Direct to Consumer labs are only $30-$35. I have fasting BG drawn at the same time, can plug those two numbers into the HOMA-IR formula, or ideally, look for fasting insulin under 5. But as you said insulin can be impacted by how long fasted, foods eaten day before, etc. One year I fasted 18 hours and insulin dropped below normal (1.7?) so stick with the recommended 12-14hr.

Good that you are thinking of improving diet wherever you can, but I still wonder about the non-diet reasons you can have enlarged liver. The enzymes are normal, could the liver enlargemnet have occurred when you did have Hep C and been there all along? Go through any period you took NSAIDs? Could your livers have been fat before going LC and not recovered?

Your ultrasound results reminds me of the book by Dr Gilbert Welch, Over-Diagnosed:Making people Sick in the Pursuit of Health,...you're healthy, the enzyme levels are fine, liver seems to be functioning...but a test shows something maybe perfectly normal probably related to age that now worries you.

Another thought...have you read the radiologist's report yourself? You can get a copy of the ultrasound and the report, and should be able to talk to the radiologist directly. Get your top questions ready. They spend most of their day sitting in dark rooms...I have found them to be open and willing to talk to patients.

Janet: You may be right that my liver has not fully healed from my earlier bout of Hep C, so that I could attribute the fatty liver to that. But that wouldn't account for my wife's fatty liver. Of course, it could just be a coincidence. It's impossible to say.

I don't have access (I think) to the radiologist's report. My doctor had trouble getting in touch with him(?), so I doubt my luck. In any case I am to have an MRI done because of an unusual spot on the ultrasound.

About the insulin: Am I right in assuming that a hight insulin reading after fasting would be indicative of insulin resistance?

Thanks
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-18, 06:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Was she also tested at the time that you didn’t transmit it to her? (I know nothing about the various Hepititis letters, except that some can be "silent".) Hepititis is something to remind your doctor is in your medical history.

You have the right to a copy of any medical report from anywhere...you paid for it (even if Medicare) and they belong to you. Obtain a copy of both the image and report. Easiest to get a few days after having the image done, giving time for the radiologist to dictate findings and conclusions but before going into LT storage when may charge for the copy. The image is shared on a CD like disk; most home computers have a reader so you can see it too. The MD doctor/radiologist who read the image and signed the report is the one you want to speak with. If you are returning to the same facility, call them before so they know you want to pick up those copies and will have it ready, maybe meet with the doctor if on duty. When you read the report yourself, you may find an explanation that there is a certain amount of fat "that is consistent with patient age" or some other simple qualifier your doctor missed.

Getting you reports was all much harder before the advent of digital images (I have a file of those 16x20 X-ray films, some large) and electronic medical records. But I return to every doctor for reports and copies, so had them in hand for second opinions, to save time at the next appointment, and keep your own complete health records at home.

Fasting insulin is considered along with fasting BG and other signs of metabolic syndrome (e.g. waist circumference) ...why few doctors order it, plus it has a wide "normal" range. Westman, Naiman, and others in the Keto field do order it. I understand under 5 optimal, or under 10 still good, but the high end of "normal" (around 20) https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....-insulin-level/ is not ideal.

Plugged into HOMA-IR, https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/ you would like to see under 1. http://burnfatnotsugar.com/Resources.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-25-18 at 04:13.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-18, 08:39

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
With diabetes etc. we always here that blood glucose improvements are only due to weight loss, and generally that improvements with low carb are just due to weight loss. This claim doesn't make sense in light of real world observations by people following Bernstein etc., I have no doubt that better blood glucose can be had without weight loss. Weight loss has some effect, but some studies to make it more clear just how much benefit comes from weight loss, how much from carb restriction would be nice.

My glucose was inching up recently, and I lowered it a lot by cutting back on carbs, lowered by around 70 points. I did lose some weight, but only about 5 lbs. So I would say that dietary changes had a lot more to do with it than weight loss in my case. I do agree that weight loss would help a lot, but it's not happening right now.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-18, 08:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Weight loss or gain is a symptom; not a cause.